Turning the lights back on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sons house up in Hubbahdston has one of those timers or almost identical that runs a security light. Gonna guess that was a thing back in the day. However, I don’t think his security light is a Godzilla movie prop needing 40 amps so maybe a previous owner had a little something going on in the attic?
I installed this a decade ago when I increased production up there. Especially knowing I have random bits of knob n tube scattered about, I wasn't taking any chances ; )

So I am putting some plants in there. 4 females and two unsexed. These are the original seed grown plants, and now that I have 2 established cuts of each as backup, I'm flowering them. Normally I'd flower a cut after vegging it a bit, but I'm running low on space as I'm doing 3 strains from seed at the same time. And these plants have gotten as tall or taller than I like to start flowering.
Before I put them in, I'm cleaning up the low stuff that isn't getting light and contributing to the group project. Any side shoots hearty enough to root, I take as clones. Any scruffy side shoots that don't stand a chance, I remove. I'll prune again after 2-3 weeks in flower if I find anything funky going on down there.
The rule is, if you prune before flower, never touch the tallest point on the plant. If you prune any particular shoot, take it back all the way to the branch it came off (If tertiary) or the main stem (If secondary).
Omg do any other mobile users have the problem of the ADVERTISE ON MARIJUANAPASSION banner taking over your reply entry field and accidentally hitting it and losing part of your draft?! Aaargh, mateys.
Anyway before n after, note the missing crud right down at the base:

Attachments

• 20191110_171817.jpg
    20191110_171817.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20191110_172133.jpg
    20191110_172133.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 38
I use a color coding system on my leafy things. You can see it in the pics.
Green: it's a plant! It has a name! And sometimes a number. That's it. No sex assigned to the green tag.
Pink: it's confirmed female.
Blue: it's confirmed male.
Red: this is the senior specimen and does not leave the veg room under any circumstances until it is either backed up (and the red tag is reassigned) or flowered out as a less desirable strain or phenos
Yellow: none of these yet, knock on wood. It means I have found a hermaphrodite part on a cutting from this plant. The cutting gets yellow tagged too and checked at every watering. Unless there is some compelling reason to keep the plant, and yes I have grown a couple strains that gave me issues but whoooa it was good bud, all specimens will be flowered out under observation and discontinued.
It's easy to make stem tags with a hole punch and scissors, just like a hotel do not disturb sign (giggity). Watch out not to let it choke the stem it's on, or stunt a budding site. I'll move them to low stems after potting into the perfectly proportioned 3-4 gallon.... waste baskets. Gahhbidge, kid!

Attachments

• 20191110_171633.jpg
    20191110_171633.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
Ugh I'm outgrowing my veg room and put more backed up parent plants into flower; some suspected males and another couple unknowns. I'm trying to expedite thinning the herd at this point. Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
I need to make room for my next bean pop. Black Indica (crop king version, not sure how close it is to the Plan B Collective version I used to grow, but same basic heritage) and a really exotic Umbra cross that includes an Uzbeki landrace in its heritage, among other delicious things. This will also eventually be a fabulous central Asian seed backup.
No pics today, I already did my garden chores and retreated to the Comfy Chair with a glass of wine, wrapped in a polarfleece robe over my work clothes like the unapologetic bum I am. It smells like snow outside. It smells like weed inside. Ahh, November in New England. The dog with his purely ornamental and thermally useless coat is gonna be under the covers tonight for sure, even though I finally took out the air conditioner in anticipation of low temps in the teens.
My colleague has already been skiing.
It's November 11.
Whut.

Not so much a grow update, as an excuse note for WHY there haven't been any. The guest room is finished with the exception of a shoe moulding and some switchplate covers, and I just got my very own Wi-Fi installed! I'm now posting with 5G, watch out world : p
The plants will have my full and undivided attention going forward :)

Attachments

• 20191115_153637.jpg
    20191115_153637.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191115_155926.jpg
    20191115_155926.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 29
I installed 4G modems at all the CLO2 generators so I could access them remotely. Good you don't have to share the internet anymore. It is so easy to use bandwidth without knowing it.

Well, I DO have to share it, but Bestie will probably just be streaming Dead bootlegs 24/7, which is a perfectly neighborly use of bandwidth: ) I'll see if she wants to hook up my good speakers so we can all enjoy it together. Not that Yogurt the Radar Dog needs much volume, he can hear the fridge open from upstairs...

Waiting for my fancy new spiderfarmer 2000 daylight LED panel to show up; tracking shows it still on the other side of the Pacific but shipping DHL rather than the comparatively pokey China Post, so it shouldn't be a long wait.
Meanwhile popping a few random beans I had in small quantities: cropking black indica that went into dirt this morning, a couple blue monster freebies that came with no info (the distributor doesn't carry Goldenseed, and doesn't have ANY blue monster listed in stock, so hey I like surprises as long as it isn't an auto lol), and 2 bagseeds from outdoor stuff- S1s or f1s, mysteries abound!- JupiterCBD and girl scout cookies from a pretty minty specimen. Once these are all settled in to sixpax, it's time for the next round of umbra beans which im already drooling over.
Thats all. Just watching the grass grow ; )

That spider farmer light looks pretty good...I wonder if the driver can be moved outside the grow area...

I'm pretty interested in seeing that light perform, too! Setting my DVR....
auntbea (2018_04_18 01_24_33 UTC).jpg

I'll find out tonight. It made it across the Other Pond in record time! Looks like an integrated driver that uses the entire surface area of the panel for heat dissipation though. To be very clear this is going to be a tandem HID/LED setup for now at least, so your results may vary : )

So. It's here. I think I just accidentally blinded Bestie turning it on in the den lol. The driver is screwed to the panel with about 1/8" clearance between them so no, the panel does not actually provide a heat sink at all . You'd have to do some modification to the wires, that's all.
This beast could blaze up my whole driveway. Now I want to buy one and link it to a motion sensor, try to keep the neighborhood junkies out of my truck.

Im impressed with these quantum boards. Clean bright light.

Nice, I have a couple meanwell drivers on my setup...mounted outside the box...guess if your mixing lights you’ll be cooling as well huh? Seems like a couple of these things would do a decent sized home grow...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back