TV's Montel Williams comes to Sacramento to open marijuana dispensary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Montel Williams has been the face of many things – host of a nationally syndicated television talk show and pitchman for prescription drug assistance products and a fruit-and-vegetable emulsifier.

On Monday, Williams appeared in Sacramento to announce a partnership with a new enterprise, a medical marijuana dispensary.

In a news conference at the newly renovated offices of the former Capital Wellness Center, Williams spoke about his own battle with multiple sclerosis and why he turned to marijuana to alleviate near-constant neurological pain.

"Prescription drugs nearly shut down my kidneys. Then a doctor suggested I try medical marijuana," said Williams, who credits pot for improving his health and well-being.

Williams – a recent guest host of "Good Day Sacramento" on Channel 31 (KMAX) – led a tour of the new Albatin Wellness Cooperative at 29th and U streets in the Newton Booth neighborhood of midtown. He was accompanied by a Harvard-trained physician, Dr. Alan Shackelford, who specializes in medical marijuana.

"We've been caught up in culture surrounding medical marijuana that's 20 years old," Williams said. "While adhering to every single state law, we want to provide safe access for patients and really medicalize this. Patients should be put first."

He decided to partner with the marijuana cooperative's director, Aundre Speciale, a friend he met two years ago and with whom he shares a philosophy of making medical marijuana available along with patient counseling and a standardized product.

The host of "The Montel Williams Show," which aired from 1991 to 2008, said he would be "involved at every level of the cooperative, from the philosophical direction down to the blueprints."

His influence certainly shines through in the décor and appearance of the dispensary, which is a far cry from at least some other facilities that advertise their product in windows and display it openly in glass cases. The building is as nondescript as its dull-blue hue, at least on the outside.

Once visitors walk through the door, they are in a mosaic-tile lobby with flat-panel televisions playing various slides concerning the history of medicinal marijuana in addition to testimonials from Williams and others in the field.

After having their permits and paperwork vetted by a receptionist, the patients are buzzed in to a larger room to meet with a "counselor." This happens every time they come in to discuss their medical needs, before any of what the center calls medicine is distributed.

It feels almost like going to the bank, except instead of money the tellers dole out a different kind of green. Dozens of cameras and at least four security guards monitor every movement.

Unlike most dispensaries, no marijuana is displayed in the facility, anywhere. Patients don't see the actual product, which is available in edible and smokable form, until the very end, and can't use it on the property.

"I want this to be someplace your mother and father could see themselves walk into," Williams said. He is using his celebrity status to try to do just that – he brought his parents along for the tour.

But Williams' high-profile appearance also brought with it some controversy for Albatin even before the system debuted Monday.

A group of five vendors came to the dispensary to inquire about what they claim is thousands of dollars owed for marijuana provided to Speciale's Capital Wellness Cooperative in recent months.

Gary Hiller, the legal adviser for Capital Wellness Cooperative Inc., said any claims of money owed would be fully investigated.

"If a patient-cultivator brings in excess medicine, he or she will be reimbursed the cost of cultivating that medicine in accordance with state law."

That seemed to put the issue to bed for the most part, as minutiae and legal wrangling appeared to be at the root of the confusion, leaving Williams to focus on his goal of medical marijuana patient advocacy.

Williams said he wants to change the stigma surrounding doctor-prescribed pot use.

"It's absurd. I can go get morphine pumped into my system and nobody's got a problem," he said. "But all of a sudden they're really worried if I smoked a joint."

hxxp://tinyurl.com/5vaqqo4

"We've been caught up in culture surrounding medical marijuana that's 20 years old," Williams said. "While adhering to every single state law, we want to provide safe access for patients and really medicalize this. Patients should be put first."

This would be awesome, I hope he follows through!

I'll be the first to call Montel a capitilist XX His club sucks and he rips growers.
He was involved with the dispensary for the last couple of years and he "officially" took over a couple of months ago. Now, as most of us know, most dispensaries work on a consignment basis, well they owed my partner over 15k and told him "tough cookies" on his payment because they "refiled" under Montels name and are now refusing to pay off the debts owed to the vendors that supplied hime the last 2 years.

Roddy., don't think for a minuate that Montel is out to help your version of "sick" folks, he is all about the paper. go stand in front of his club and see who goes in.

I have personally been working in Sac and Capital Wellness is one of the worst ran dispensaries there. I wouldn't vend to them if they were the last dispensary in Cali.....

What a joke....Montel does things for one person.....himself.

I am disappointed to hear that. My husband has MS, as does Montel, and he is a good spokesman for raising awareness for this disease.

NorCalHal said:
I'll be the first to call Montel a capitilist XX His club sucks and he rips growers.
He was involved with the dispensary for the last couple of years and he "officially" took over a couple of months ago. Now, as most of us know, most dispensaries work on a consignment basis, well they owed my partner over 15k and told him "tough cookies" on his payment because they "refiled" under Montels name and are now refusing to pay off the debts owed to the vendors that supplied hime the last 2 years.

Roddy., don't think for a minuate that Montel is out to help your version of "sick" folks, he is all about the paper. go stand in front of his club and see who goes in.

I have personally been working in Sac and Capital Wellness is one of the worst ran dispensaries there. I wouldn't vend to them if they were the last dispensary in Cali.....

I didn't know there were different versions....sick is sick.

He may be out for one person, himself, but he is now all over the news which is bringing the MMJ topic right into people's faces...a good thing in my eyes!

Roddy said:
I didn't know there were different versions....sick is sick.

Lol...weren't you the one questioning the legitimacy of some Cali MMJ card holders? If "sick is sick" then that shld be it. Right?

Sick IS sick....are you telling me you believe everyone who has a card is sick? :rofl:

come on, say it straight faced....

Montel was on CNN this morning, talking about MMJ and patients first. I know some of you don't like him, but you have to lve all the great publicity he's giving MMJ! Some of the stuff they talked about really painted MMJ in a great light, I was a bit concerned when he started talking about pill form, though!

I have seen Montel on the TV (commercials) lately telling people about a Business that loans money (Check into Cash type, not sure the name of Montels endorsement commercial) to folks at EXORBITANT interest rates. When I saw that, he lost all credibility that he was a "for the people" kind of person. Those places should be outlawed, legal loan sharking is what they are.

The fact that he is now on the Medical MJ bandwagon makes me think he is out for the Cash, not to help anyone. JMO.

Roddy said:
Sick IS sick....are you telling me you believe everyone who has a card is sick? :rofl:

come on, say it straight faced....

Brosef I can say it with a straight face because unlike you I don't care if they hve a hangnail and get a script for MMJ. It is nobody's business except the patient and the doctor....not you or the governments or anybody else.

My point was you say sick is sick in one post and then flip out about Cali and the way the handout cards....which is it? My head hurts from trying to figure out where you really stand on it...lol

Hamster Lewis said:
Brosef I can say it with a straight face because unlike you I don't care if they hve a hangnail and get a script for MMJ. It is nobody's business except the patient and the doctor....not you or the governments or anybody else.

My point was you say sick is sick in one post and then flip out about Cali and the way the handout cards....which is it? My head hurts from trying to figure out where you really stand on it...lol

Seriously, are you reading my posts???

When the govt decides the doctors aren't using the system as intended, what do you suppose they're apt to do?? Let it continue?? So, while you're so happy to allow anyone for any reason, the govt (who has the say in ALL this) may see it as ABUSE! You can say all you wish that it's between the doc and you....but is it really? NO, the GOVT has final say when doling out the cards....right?? If and when the govt decides enough of the abuse (perceived or real), they're likely to make changes we won't appreciate.

Is it really so hard to understand what I have been saying OVER AND OVER AND OVER????

I'll ask another way...do you seriously believe everyone who has a card has it as the govt intended?? Are they truly SICK, or trying to abuse the system?? Honestly....

My friend, I may seem all over the place with my stance, but if you're reading, you'll note I am complaining about "symptoms" of the problem...and there are several! While I am all for anyone and everyone smoking, wish everyone could have a card even, when the "symptoms" start to make the "doctors" (govt) rethink they're stance.....we all lose!

tcbud said:
I have seen Montel on the TV (commercials) lately telling people about a Business that loans money (Check into Cash type, not sure the name of Montels endorsement commercial) to folks at EXORBITANT interest rates. When I saw that, he lost all credibility that he was a "for the people" kind of person. Those places should be outlawed, legal loan sharking is what they are.

The fact that he is now on the Medical MJ bandwagon makes me think he is out for the Cash, not to help anyone. JMO.

Either way, who cares?? The fact he's giving it plenty of face time (something someone told me was important...even to the point of being an outlaw to do so), and is painting it in a good light...I'm cheering him on.

If you don't like his business practices, don't do business with him.

Hey Everyone I live in Sacramento and just saw Montel on TV talking his new Club up here in sacramento,,LMFAO WoW Funny! So Im going to go check it out today I will get an 1/8th of what he says is his best Indica/kush and REPORT Back to you All.

I wouldn't give Montel the sweat off my nuts. He has alway been out for himself and self promotion.

NorCalHal said:

HOLD UP BRO!!! I live Right here in SAC all MY LIFE. Lets Smoke some time!?!---OK I have not been to Cap Wellness yet I heard they have a Vapor Room--COOL! I also thought they Just Opened on Fulton ?.. Green Harmony three blocks down is OK though! I can't say who is my favorite here TOO MANY TO CHOSE FROM LOL!! Who do you Like best?? Also Montels club is in MIDTOWN? right? If Cap Wellness is his He is not Advertising that it is the Fancy Dancy one in midtown he is talking up!?!?!? So What's Up Bro? Gonna Be HOT Today,,I was thinking about checking out the river. We should smoke a big fat one together some time;) :D

The money owed to your friend is at the New Cap Wellness location on FULTON close to Marconi across from Welfare office lol.. Montel just bought the location NOT CAP Wellness and its Debts... I think it is Cap Well that is burning your friend NOT MONTEL..... I think,, I hope all works out for him though.

ozzydiodude said:
I wouldn't give Montel the sweat off my nuts. He has alway been out for himself and self promotion.

Hopefully, he'll put all his heart behind MMJ....put his celebreity status to good use. I can't think of a much better supporter, one with a disease that MMJ helps, is known by many (and some likely see him in a better light than here) and has the money and means to keep it in the face of the public....

Roddy said:
Seriously, are you reading my posts???

I'll ask another way...do you seriously believe everyone who has a card has it as the govt intended?? Are they truly SICK, or trying to abuse the system?? Honestly....

Once again you are missing the point...,you, the government or anybody else has no business in it...it is between doctor and patient. Hve the card as the government Intended? Lol that is a joke. If the government was handing out cards no one wld hve one. What kills me is you keep ranting about those who abuse the system...and then you talk about Montel painting it in a good light and all.....lol. He is abusing more then the system my friend.

On a side note I am glad we hve kept this thread respectful....heated issue with heated opinions. Nice debate though.

Hamster Lewis said:
Once again you are missing the point...,you, the government or anybody else has no business in it...it is between doctor and patient. Hve the card as the government Intended? Lol that is a joke. If the government was handing out cards no one wld hve one. What kills me is you keep ranting about those who abuse the system...and then you talk about Montel painting it in a good light and all.....lol. He is abusing more then the system my friend.

On a side note I am glad we hve kept this thread respectful....heated issue with heated opinions. Nice debate though.

So, let me make sure I understand...the DOCTOR hands me my card????

I love a good debate, love friendly banter.....it's always good to learn from others opinions...and yes, I am listening! ;)

As for a spokesman for MMJ...Montel works. Would you rather have sayyyyy....a PRESIDENT?? :D :D :rofl:

btw...I wasn't making up the fact that MI is rethinking it's application system, clamping down on who gets the card.....still thin k it's merely between yourself and your doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back