tying down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mslady_1983

Reaction score
i am very new to growing and have alot of questions. i think of this stuff alot. like when is the best time to tie her down. if im doing a scrog how many plants for a 600w hps with a 4x4 space. when should i top and fim. i have a ton of questions but one by one and eventually ill get the right way to grow my stuff

You can tie a plant pretty much any time throughout the grow without issues as long as you are gentle to not break the plant stems. I think everyone here who ties their plants do it at different times depending on their grows. I know some peeps will let a plant get about 8" tall and then bend the whole plant over before the stem gets woody enough to prevent bending. This will allow many nodes(6-8) to form and then all of those nodes will sprout branches that will shoot out and up to become multi-cola tops.

Some peeps will let the plant get to about the 4th node and then top it to create a twin top, then when the twin top and the branches below that begin to grow out to be 4-6" long, they will tie all of those branches and bend them out horizontal in order to cause the plant to open up and spread out. This is all done in veg so that the plant will get wide before turning up toward the light.

If you are going to do a scrog then you don't need to tie them at all. For scrog you would put 1-4 plants in a space(I wouldn't do scrog in a 4'x4' space as that would make it very difficult to reach and tend the plants in the back, unless you have access to front and back of the 4x4) If I was going to do scrog in a 2'x4' space, I would put 2-3 plants in and let them get 4-6nodes high then top or fim to cause all the lower branches to take off growing.

Then I would set my screen over the whole thing at about 10"-12" above the top of the planters. As the plants grow up into the screen, you push the branches back under the screen and cause them to grow out horizontally under the screen. This will take several weeks to fill up the screen with branches as you will continue to push any branches back under the screen as they try to grow up through it. Once your screen is 90% full of branches you can flip the lights and allow all the smaller branches to grow up through the screen to become the buds.

This is a pretty cool way to do it but it is also pretty maintenance intense to care for them to that it does right and not just grow up through the screen as a normal grow.

I am glad to explain anything you need to know if you want to ask me specifically(PM) or you can ask the forum and get a concensus from everyone. :)

I didn't really find a scrog to be too labor intensive. Probably less trouble than trying to maintain an even canopy with multiple strains in different stages of growth in the closet. It was a simple matter to push the growing tips under the screen and position them where you wanted them. It only took a few minutes every day or two or three (depending on how fast they were growing).

I'm thinking I might start a little 4 plant scrog. It is going to be months before I am going to be able to start any kind of organics.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I didn't really find a scrog to be too labor intensive. Probably less trouble than trying to maintain an even canopy with multiple strains in different stages of growth in the closet. It was a simple matter to push the growing tips under the screen and position them where you wanted them. It only took a few minutes every day or two or three (depending on how fast they were growing).

I'm thinking I might start a little 4 plant scrog. It is going to be months before I am going to be able to start any kind of organics.

i have a vegg room and a flower room. how would i go about moving from room to room. cause all the threads i see are already in the screen. im veggin for 2 months. how high should the screen be above the pot rim or how should i go about putting the screen over the canopy????????

Plants should not be growing through the screen while you are vegging. The purpose of the screen is to encourage the plants to grow horizontally and keep any veggy growth below the screen. In a true scrog, you should be able to lift the screen away while vegging.

Latest posts

Back