Uh oh! Is this a serious problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechaniMan

Reaction score
I suppose I should have been paying better attention, this is really s*****. Was checking out my second grow today and noticed the pollen sack I think. I touched another area the plant and picked off a ball and opened it up and powder exploded out of it. I quickly doused the remaining plants with water to try to wash away any pollen. I'm actually pretty sure this plant was a hermaphrodite because I seen female stamen hairs on one part of the plant. Actually I found two plants that are male. The first two pictures were the one that didn't open yet the second two pictures are of the one with the open pollen sack. I removed them from the room immediately and culled them outdoors.

My question is how likely it is this destroyed my entire crop? I also have plants finishing up in the room next door with open doors in the entire basement so I hope I didn't f*** them up.
20220723_130150.jpg
20220723_130159.jpg
20220723_130019.jpg
20220723_125959.jpg

Last edited:
Also is this a seed forming or just the normal inside of the female calyx ovule? Man that shit is aggrivating, one weird ass plant just decides to go rogue, ***! Of course we lost power for several hours the other day so maybe that had something to do with it .
20220723_132812.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar issue in my current grow. If only one or 2 opened it should not ruin crop just make a crop with some seeds.

I had a similar issue in my current grow. If only one or 2 opened it should not ruin crop just make a crop with some seeds.
Yeah I checked over the ones in my flowering tent pretty good and couldn't find anything but there's small little balls in the galaxies but I think those are just the ovules. I do have brown hairs but it's not just the tips of the hair and they have been like that for a while so I don't think they were pollinated because these other plants weren't even near that point where they could pollinate my flowering tent. Everything is in pre-flower in the room they're in so there's only a couple calyxes on the plant to begin with. I guess time will tell

it sure look as if it may be an issue down the road...can you afford to lose a crop or can you manually strip away the balls and nanners which will surely form...dicey at best...

Do yourself a favor; Next time you see a pollen sack, take a squirt bottle of water and soak it down before you remove it. It keeps the pollen from flying around. It works. I did it on a full blown male that I somehow overlooked in a SCROG grow. Got the advice from a guy called Fishcakes on another site. Squirted it down and took it out piece by piece. Not one lady fertilized.

it sure look as if it may be an issue down the road...can you afford to lose a crop or can you manually strip away the balls and nanners which will surely form...dicey at best...
I removed them and killed them. If they released pollen this early will it make all the plants in the room seed or would they have to be pollinated later on down the road in flowering and hopefully I'll get lucky in this won't be coming issue? I'm completely on the dark on pollen getting released on these this early.
I have no idea how that works that if they got pollinated this early would it make the entire plant just turn into seeds?

I removed them and killed them. If they released pollen this early will it make all the plants in the room seed or would they have to be pollinated later on down the road in flowering and hopefully I'll get lucky in this won't be coming issue? I'm completely on the dark on pollen getting released on these this early.
I have no idea how that works that if they got pollinated this early would it make the entire plant just turn into seeds?
I believe only the pistols that the pollen attaches turn to seed so any new growth should be un affected.

I do have a question though after the polen is released how long is it a danger to impregnate your ladies.

@bigsur51 @boo @WeedHopper @pute @Hippie420 @everyone Do you think I should cull the plants in the next room that are approximately 10 to 11 weeks into a flowering?

I'm really considering it because they are so close. I've tried the bud and it's really good. You're all familiar with my first timer grow so your opinions would be greatly appreciated as well as anybody else who would like to chime in.

@bigsur51 @boo @WeedHopper @pute @Hippie420 @everyone Do you think I should cull the plants in the next room that are approximately 10 to 11 weeks into a flowering?

I'm really considering it because they are so close. I've tried the bud and it's really good. You're all familiar with my first timer grow so your opinions would be greatly appreciated as well as anybody else who would like to chime in.
Personally, I wouldn't cull 'em. Kickass weed is kickass weed, even if it's got seeds in it. You've already got eleven weeks into it, so what's a few more?

My take is any plants that have been pollinated already have as many seeds as they are going to have. Another week or two isn’t going to make them have a lot more(if any) and the smoke will get better and weight will increase in the week or two they take to ripen. As hippie said, kickass weed is kickass weed. Seeds just decrease the weight of what you will smoke. The grows I had hermies and seeds in was still nice smoke. Just more of a pain to deseed for smoking. It will also make nice hash if you plan to go that route and you won’t be able to tell the difference between seeded weed hash and sensimillia hash.

A heavily pollinated plant will not be kick ass weed, no matter the genetics.
Some seeds wont matter but at some point when plants are heavily pollinated the plant doesn't produce THC in favor of seed production

That's in the eyes of the beholder my friend. Some will disagree with you on what they consider kick ass weed and what you consider kick ass weed. I have smoked some pretty potent weed that had some seeds. And I have smoked what I considered shitty weed that had no seeds.
But again,,,that was me. We all have our taste and opinions. That's what makes the Passion a cool place. We have all kinds of brothers and sisters with different ideas and different levels of tolerance for dank.
I know ppl who get high very easily. For them your statement of A heavily pollinated plant will not be kick ass weed, no matter the genetics,, would absolutely not be their truth.

Last edited:
A heavily pollinated plant will not be kick ass weed, no matter the genetics.
Some seeds wont matter but at some point when plants are heavily pollinated the plant doesn't produce THC in favor of seed production

i would like to see some evidence because this has not been my experience

some would even argue that a pollinated and seeded plant is as potent as a non seeded plant , maybe more potent

another thing , all we smoked back in the 60’s was seeded weed and it was pretty potent , more potent than some of todays poly hybrids

in conclusion , wait a couple more weeks

Latest posts

Back