Undryed buds ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honest al

Reaction score
just cut half of my plant down due to bud rot starting in the big buds . Plant was 2 weeks from harvest so lots of goodness in them buds some red hair and milky sugar leaves . My question is can I use the buds without air drying and use the oven once I cut ALL the rot out ? As I said earlier there are a lot of the buds that I cut have very little to no rot on them as I cut down deep into the stock . I was planning on making cookies not smoking them . Thanks . 2nd year growing .

There is a lot to know about cooking with cannabis and I don't know muich about it...you will either need to dry it really well and get the trichomes off via different methods or let it dry fairly dry and extract the oils from the buds. If you were just going to cook with the weed you are going to need to heat in an oven for awhile, Look up " Decarboxylate". It is turning THC-A into THC, it activates it. read up on that and you find out if you can cook yourweed this early or not.
Disaclaimer!!
I may be completely friggin' wrong!

I had some bud rot a couple years ago when I tried growing outside. Bummer. I did trim off any of the rot I could see. Did I get it all? I doubt it. But I did dry the buds and made cannabutter with it. It did the trick and didn’t kill me. A lot of purists will say toss it all but if it were me, I’d dry it and make butter with it. Decarbing is recommended but I have made killer butter without decarbing too. I cook my butter into brownies. I think the heat of cooking the brownies decarbs the cannabinoids. I use a slow cooker and cook slow cook about a kilo of trim to 500 grams of coconut oil. I slow cook on low for about 24 hours. Then strain out all the leaves, stems, etc. I think I have a tutorial on making my brownies if you are interested. Just look for my posts...

Going the butter route , thanks . I just did a wash with the moldy buds 1st with h202 and water then baking Soda and lemon dip finishing with a water only flush. Buds are now in a metal baking dish on a low temp oil heater with a fan on them . Should be dried by tomorrow after turning them sever times , will give an update in a few days . The buds are kind of water proof and held up surprisingly well for the amount of different dippings they went through plus I had nothing to loose .

If you're just making butter, you can put them in wet, after removing obvious rot. The thread that ozzyDD posted from my ancient tried-n-true liquid-liquid extraction method doesn't require dry material, and the multiple 'washes' with clean water flush out most of the contaminants, and the long soak in hot but not boiling water is similar to pasteurization.
I've never bothered to decarb since caramels are cooked to 238ish 'F and it's redundant.
Green butter made from buds potentially contaminated with mold should be frozen immediately and only thawed when you are ready to cook with it. It keeps for years in a chest freezer, less if stored in a freezer with an auto-defrost function.

Latest posts

Back