University of Connecticut Set to Offer Cannabis Horticulture Course

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From High Times
University of Connecticut Set to Offer Cannabis Horticulture Course
th

UConn is part of a growing trend at universities in the U.S. and Canada.

By
Nick Lindsey
October 15, 2018

Legal weed is catalyzing changes in all sorts of areas, many of which operate tangentially to the primary, plant-touching industry. Increasingly, that includes education. More and more, students seeking a “higher” education can learn about cannabis as part of their university training. Most recently, University of Connecticut announced that it will offer a cannabis cultivation course during the spring 2019 semester.

Learn How to Grow Weed at University

Gerald Berkowitz, a professor of plant science, will teach “Horticulture of Cannabis: From Seed to Harvest.”

According to local news sources, the course will be an introductory level offering. As such, there will be no prerequisites. In theory, that should make the course open and accessible to a wide range of interested students.

As indicated in its title, the course will focus primarily on the cultivation side of things. Throughout the semester, Berkowitz plans to bring in a series of industry experts to talk about various aspects of growing weed in the legal market.

The course is the first of its kind offered at UConn. And administrators apparently decided to offer the course after getting “tremendous student demand” for academic training related to the legal cannabis industry.

The Legal Side of UConn’s New Cannabis Course

From the sound of things, the course is allowable in Connecticut primarily because the state has a legal medical marijuana program.

There are reportedly just over 28,000 patients registered in the program. Similarly, there are nine medical marijuana dispensaries and four licensed producers in the state. And now, the state can add a full-fledged university course to that list.

Berkowitz said he will be allowed to use only hemp plants with low levels of THC. That isn’t all that surprising, and is in line with many places that are fairly flexible on allowing low THC hemp plants.

Cannabis Courses are Increasingly Common at Universities
This isn’t the first time a university or college has offered a cannabis-related course. In fact, it’s becoming something of a trend at schools throughout the U.S., Canada, and other parts of the world.

For example, there are at least 11 other universities and colleges in the U.S. and Canada that have offered these types of classes. These schools include:

• University of Washington
  • UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative
  • University of Vermont
  • Community College of New Brunswick, located in Canada
  • Northern Michigan University
  • Durham College, located near Toronto, Canada
  • University of California, Davis
  • University of Denver
  • Niagara College of Canada
  • Ohio State University
  • Kwantlen Polytechnic University, in British Columbia, Canada
And now, we can add University of Connective to this ever-expanding list.

Beyond simply offering courses related to the legal cannabis industry, some colleges are coming up with other creative ways to help students learn about and get involved with the marijuana industry.

For example, Thomas Jefferson University, located in Philadelphia, recently hosted an event called “CannaVation.” The event was essentially a “Shark Tank”-style entrepreneurial competition focused on the cannabis space. Students with an idea for a new cannabis business presented their ideas in an attempt to win startup capital and recognition.

https://hightimes.com/news/university-of-connecticut-set-to-offer-cannabis-horticulture-course/

More likely they will be taught how to care and grow salable herb.
When they are certified someone else will hire them to do slave labor and rake in all the rewards
while the growers make peanuts.

Besides the thread was started 4 years ago. However the word around the campfire is the current administration is giving away free college. Only problem is somebody has to pay. Any guesses as to who will foot the bill?

A university like this can be called unique, and that is the reality. I never heard about a university besides the criminology ones that have courses about drugs. There are some universities and colleges like iunajaf.edu.iq which are promotion a unique approach to the studies and education of the students. A university that has courses based on studying the effects of drugs and how each type grows might be useful in teaching future generations about the effects drugs can have on the human body.

Last edited:
All the college courses in the world are not going to teach you how to grow. Experience trumps book smarts any day of the week. There will be nothing taught in these classes that can’t be learned from doing and asking questions of the experts on this site. That is reality.

From a WBUR article:

“Students aren't learning about growing marijuana directly, but are instead learning to grow another type of cannabis: hemp. Though hemp and marijuana are both types of cannabis, chemically, they're different.”

If there isn’t an actual lab where you see the multitude of variables affecting cannabis cultivation and the problems that invariably crop up, the curriculum is next to useless.

OMG, it's great news! I'm a big proponent of cannabis education and think it is important for people to learn about the plant and its many uses. I'm glad that more and more universities are offering courses on cannabis cultivation. I think this will help dispel some myths and misconceptions about the plant and its cultivation. I want to attend such faculty; however, currently, I'm preoccupied with my ESL program. If someone is interested, I recommend checking how to get esl certified here. I hope you guys are doing great! Cheers!

Last edited:
OMG, it's great news! I'm a big proponent of cannabis education and think it is important for people to learn about the plant and its many uses.
I would put flowers grown by people who get expert advice from this forum and others up against someone’s flowers that learned from a text book while sitting in front of a ‘professor’ any day. If you want to learn how to grow mediocre bud, spend the money at UConn(or any other money grubbing university). If you want to learn to grow dank, hang around here.

About the same as many of the useless areas of study offered by institutions of higher education. They fast track you to a career as a barista… ;)

Ok, now Snoop Dog will finally get higher education. It would be cool to learn about growing weed at a university, but what are the prospects of a future profession for me?
Snoop Dog finished the school of talking shit. I mean Rap, which is the same thing.

Latest posts

Back