Upstate New York Growers Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow is almost gone here! I can't wait it's getting closer and closer to be able to put these beautiful little girls into the ground! How's everybody elses weather? You guys finally losing some of those snow drifts?

Mal C
:fly:

Green up for NY! :ccc: I'm in the woods... That's about as much as I can spill. ;) But yeah, I started a few beans just yesterday. Stoked! :D

HEY!! Wow I'm from upstate NY and I'm having my usual outdoor crop starting with all clones. I dont like keeping them indoor veging for too long because sometimes when you put them outside they tend to go into flower for a while and then revert back to veg. I dunno it's weird but I had it happen to me a few times. But I'll def be on this thread!!!

Celebrity Bob said:
HEY!! Wow I'm from upstate NY and I'm having my usual outdoor crop starting with all clones. I dont like keeping them indoor veging for too long because sometimes when you put them outside they tend to go into flower for a while and then revert back to veg. I dunno it's weird but I had it happen to me a few times. But I'll def be on this thread!!!
C'bob.. once your cuts have established roots, try cutting the light hours back to 16/8 for a month or so, prior to putting them OD.
Most everyone roots unde 24/0. Putting them out under a shortened light period, tends to promote early flowering. 16/8 will help..'harden' them off, to a dark period, and will help deter spring flowering.
Clones or plants reared under 24/0, "I" like to put out, the last week of May/1st of June. That allows only 3 weeks before summer solstice, then light hours naturally begin decreasing. Allowing them to flower right on through, without trying to rveg.. ;)

thanks hick for the info,i am curious,is it ok to take the closes outdoors for a few hours during warm days? i root in a soil/perlite mix,and its a dome for better moisture,like today is so gorgeous,just wondering if they would be ok outside for a few hours...

FirstTimeGrow said:
I'm going to plant my seeds today.

just wondering when everyone else was gonna start their seeds outside...its still a little chilly over here in ct but i dont wanna put them out too late...i herd the last frost date for us is may 16...should i wait till then?

i would wait til last frost. i dont know if you have noticed ourscrewey weather but I believe that the last frost will be very weak. I plan on doing mine around beginning of may, it'll be on a whim so.... good luck i hope that helps!

coolasme said:
thanks hick for the info,i am curious,is it ok to take the closes outdoors for a few hours during warm days? i root in a soil/perlite mix,and its a dome for better moisture,like today is so gorgeous,just wondering if they would be ok outside for a few hours...

Absolutely.. just watch them for wilting. If they begin to look sickly, get them out of the direct sunshine. They won't be accustomed to the intensity for awhile.

Hick said:
C'bob.. once your cuts have established roots, try cutting the light hours back to 16/8 for a month or so, prior to putting them OD.
Most everyone roots unde 24/0. Putting them out under a shortened light period, tends to promote early flowering. 16/8 will help..'harden' them off, to a dark period, and will help deter spring flowering.
Clones or plants reared under 24/0, "I" like to put out, the last week of May/1st of June. That allows only 3 weeks before summer solstice, then light hours naturally begin decreasing. Allowing them to flower right on through, without trying to rveg.. ;)

Does the same thing apply for starting by seed inside before putting them out? 16/8 instead of 18/6?

anyone else looking forward to a warm rest of the week? ...hopefully! 2day is a bit chilly

godspeedsuckah said:
Does the same thing apply for starting by seed inside before putting them out? 16/8 instead of 18/6?
Either/ or ..."IMO" speedy.

It's springtime! All the flower beds have started popping up little green shoots, the snow is finally gone ... and I got my seeds started :D. Watched the weather tonight and either we're either hitting a mini-heat wave, or winter is finally done! I can't wait to get some plants and seeds into the ground. Tons of woods and brushlines around here so I'm planning on putting out 10-15 plants and 50-100 seeds. Can't wait to see all the greenery that gets planted out there!

Mal C
:fly:

..I'm a long way from upstate NY, but some spots out on the eastern plains reached 90* here yesterday!!!!!..
... 50% chance of snow tonite... :huh:

Latest posts

Back