uruguay gov't to Sell mj...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hMPp://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2012/06/20/uruguay-to-allow-government-sales-marijuana-reports/

Uruguay Government to Sell Marijuana as Crime-Fighting Measure, Say Reports

Read more:hMPp://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2012/06/20/uruguay-to-allow-government-sales-marijuana-reports/#ixzz1yNGl1VVx

The next drug dealer to hit the market may be the Uruguayan government.
The left-leaning José “Pepe” Mujica administration plans to propose a measure to legalize marijuana sales as a crime-fighting measure, the local press reports. Only the government could sell marijuana, in the form of cigarettes, and only to adult registered users.
Uruguayan pot smokers would have to exercise moderation under the new plan. Those who exceed a limited number of permitted marijuana cigarettes would have to undergo rehabilitation.
The state would take responsibility for quality control under the plan and sales would include a tax to fund rehabilitation programs, an unnamed government source told Uruguayan daily El País
external-link.png
“The world is moving this way,” the source said, according to El País. “The debate is moving toward liberalization as a way to fight organized crime
The government hopes the measure will snatch profits from drug dealers and divert users from harder drugs. Growing use of crack cocaine, in particular, worries public officials.
There are no laws against marijuana use itself in Uruguay.
A spokeswoman for the Uruguayan presidency told Fox News Latino that the government does not yet have an official statement about state marijuana sales, but said such a proposal would likely be submitted to Congress for consideration, though it is possible to enact the change by decree.
Uruguayan marijuana smokers cheered the possibility of government-sold joints.
“This will help to separate markets,” said Juan Vaz of the Movement to Liberate Cannabis, according to El País
external-link.png
. “The way things are now, if someone wants to buy marijuana, they have to go to a place where other drugs are sold. These are places where people are committing crimes, and working with drug traffickers.”
The news immediately made a splash on social media
external-link.png
, where politicians clashed and marijuana enthusiasts played the news for laughs.
Luis Lacalle Pou, a congressman who had presented a proposal to allow people to grow marijuana for their personal use, criticized the measure on Twitter.
“I don’t think it’s a good thing to keep associating marijuana with money,” Lacalle Pou tweeted. “That’s why my project deals with growing for personal use.”

Read more: hMPp://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2012/06/20/uruguay-to-allow-government-sales-marijuana-reports/#ixzz1yNGxXDfS

No ifin yual think real hard bout this here threads title and be sayin it in yur head all while tryin to soundin like Elmer Fudd whiles yual do it be soundin like this pilgrem sayin Your a Gay Government to sell mj then gain be mighty hight the momment and could be hearin things in my head like elmer fudd Im stoned reckon

BWD

Was just reading some articles on this. Didnt know a thread was up on it...

I know Im cheering on some Uruguay this coming Olympics lol. Hope they can succeed.

In a country where being gay is illegal, it dosen't suprise me any that they would do something like this. Of course all of the people who smoke must regester with the government to recieve their monthly weed. sounds fishy to me.

Whats fishy?
Got every country around and the UN raising hell about them trying to do this.
So they stuck in a part saying they must register. And are allowed 40 pot cigs a month. With those exceeding or trying to exceed the limit being sent to rehab.

They are just trying to leave surrounding countries as little ticked as possible.
And kudos to them for being smart enough to see the "actual crime" fighting revenue pot can generate.

Latest posts

Back