US House passes bill giving pot businesses access to banking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollowpoint

Poor Old Dirt Farmer!
Reaction score
800.jpeg

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill Wednesday that would grant legal marijuana businesses access to banking, a measure that would clear up a longstanding headache for the industry.

The bill, called the SAFE Banking Act, passed 321-103 on the strength of near-unanimous support from Democrats and nearly half of Republicans. Its prospects in the Senate are uncertain, but supporters said the amount of Republican support in the House was a good sign.

“This is a sign the time has come for comprehensive cannabis reform,” said Morgan Fox, a spokesman for the National Cannabis Industry Association. “The fact that we got almost half the Republicans is a huge sign we’re moving in the right direction toward sensible policies.”

Thirty-three states have legalized cannabis for medical or recreational use. But the federal prohibition on the drug has made it difficult for businesses in the multibillion-dollar industry to get bank accounts, loans and other financial services.

The bill would allow businesses legitimately operating under state laws to access loans, lines of credit and other banking services, while sheltering financial institutions from prosecution for handling marijuana-linked money.

More financial institutions began banking with the industry as legalization spread and as the Obama administration instituted policies that allowed them to do so, with some important caveats. But the political name administration rescinded those guidelines under former Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Many pot businesses have had to conduct sales and pay vendors or taxes in cash, making them potential robbery targets — and making it harder to detect theft, tax evasion and money laundering.

Supporters of the banking bill, including Democratic Reps. Denny Heck of Washington and Ed Perlmutter of Colorado, characterized it as a public safety measure. In urging lawmakers to vote yes, Heck relayed the story of a 24-year-old Marine veteran, Travis Mason, who was shot and killed during a robbery of a dispensary in suburban Denver in 2016.

“Because the federal law did not allow for that business to be banked, to be within the guardrails of the financial system, an evil person walked in that night and shot Travis dead,” Heck said. “That does not have to happen. It is not hypothetical.”

Rob Nichols, president of the American Bankers Association, called the vote “a significant step forward for public safety, transparency and common sense.”

“By helping to provide clarity for the financial sector in those states where cannabis is legal, this bill will help banks meet the needs of their communities while reducing cash-motivated crimes, increasing the efficiency of tax collections and improving the cannabis industry’s financial accountability,” he said.

Opponents said it would facilitate the spread of marijuana. In a written statement, Kevin Sabet of the anti-legalization group Smart Approaches to Marijuana, noted that hundreds of people have been sickened and several have died after using marijuana vaping products.

“Surely this is not the time to reward Big Marijuana with investment opportunities,” Sabet said. “Granting this industry access to banks will bring billions of dollars of institutional investment from the titans of addiction and vastly expand the harms we are already witnessing.”

source:::https://apnews.com/ffd7b57255054696bcf96b1a8033268a

OMG, why doesn't Kevin Sabet just crawl back under the rock he crawled out from. What a useless excuse for a human being.

This still has to get passed the Senate and get signed by the Prezz. It's not law yet. It also would be much better is it included removal of cannabis from Schedule 1 status. But baby steps I suppose.

Kevin Sabet must know he is being dishonest. They don't even know for sure what specifically caused the vaping illnesses but highly suspected are black market cannabis oil and other cartridges that were spiked with Vitamin E. And other vaping illnesses have been caused by ordinary cartridges such as Jule (Jule's CEO just resigned). It's not just black market oils. I saw a news report on a young guy who spent 93 days on a heart/lung machine because of vaping regular, legal, non-cannabis cartridges for a number of years. He still wears a trachea tube connected to a machine. My personal opinion is that it is crazy to use Jule and similar products. It's bizarre that they have these products infused with every type of fruit flavor. Even bubble gum. To appeal to the kiddies. We have this vaping scourge in Junior High now. And it's huge in High School.

I believe nicotine cartridges should have been outlawed long ago. The best way to quit using tobacco is the way I did 15 years ago. Step down and then quit cold turkey. People that vape nicotine are just delaying the inevitable. And it is proven that people that vape nicotine are much more likely to resume smoking cigarettes. Would they make it illegal if people were injecting or snorting nicotine?

With cannabis people don't know what they're buying and the black market is thriving. Especially in California. People thought that legalizing cannabis in these states would hinder the black market but it didn't. It is estimated that 80% of the cannabis being consumed in the Los Angeles area is not from a legal dispensary. Although legal dispensaries are regulated this does nothing to hinder unscrupulous tactics of black market growers. They're finding fungicides, pesticides, traces of fungus contamination and other nasty stuff in black market cannabis products. Even before this controversy I was concerned about a friend who was vaping black market cannabis oil. I already knew that medical marijuana growers had been caught with fungicides and pesticides in their finished product. They were going to let this stuff be consumed by medical patients. It's obscene.

The best way to protect yourself is to grow at home. I'm not taking fungicides or pesticides into my lungs, that's for sure. And when I give gifts of weed to relatives I feel good that they will be smoking something that is safe. This forum and others perform a public service by helping to teach and advise medical patients how to successfully grow weed at home. Many patients don't get large enough amounts with their growing. Such as those who want to make oil or rosin. But at least it's better than nothing. And better than buying contaminated garbage from the street.

Mitch won't let ANY bill like this be voted on in the Senate. This bill is dead now.

You're probably right but I hope he sees that the industry has reached the point that the federal government needs to get involved because it is a public safety and crime issue. When a robbery occurs the police must get involved. It can be a danger to them as well as bystanders. Tax revenue is also involved and Congressmen will be pressuring the Senate with that point. Tax evasion is almost certainly happening. Maybe Mitch will listen to the tax issue. The more state revenue the less reliant is the state on the federal government.

Mitch is not allowing a Senate vote on most all House Bills right now. Well over 100 Bills sent to the Senate from the House are not being allowed a vote. Some are bipartisan supported.
Cannabis businesses get no tax breaks or write offs right now. They pay a lot of taxes as Cities and Counties as well as the State take an unreasonable cut compared to other legal businesses. It would be good to see legal cannabis businesses allowed to use a bank like all other legal businesses. It would be great to see the Senate pass this one, but I have lost hope for any cannabis Bill being voted on in this current Senate. We can tell our Senators how we feel by writing or phoning their offices.
https://norml.org/action-center/ite...fair-enforcement-banking-act-safe-banking-act
Most of the people of this Country support legalization. I wish most of our representatives did.

Moscow Mitch ?-- The Grim Reaper ?-- I've heard of him !-- Is that the same one got a deal with that rich russian aluminum dude to build a plant in his district ?

Mitch is not allowing a Senate vote on most all House Bills right now. Well over 100 Bills sent to the Senate from the House are not being allowed a vote. Some are bipartisan supported.
Cannabis businesses get no tax breaks or write offs right now. They pay a lot of taxes as Cities and Counties as well as the State take an unreasonable cut compared to other legal businesses. It would be good to see legal cannabis businesses allowed to use a bank like all other legal businesses. It would be great to see the Senate pass this one, but I have lost hope for any cannabis Bill being voted on in this current Senate. We can tell our Senators how we feel by writing or phoning their offices.
https://norml.org/action-center/ite...fair-enforcement-banking-act-safe-banking-act
Most of the people of this Country support legalization. I wish most of our representatives did.

I signed on to those letters to my Senators at that link. I personalized it by mentioning that I'm a registered voter and emphasized the crime prevention and public safety issues. People have been shot because of this situation.

Pretty sad, like that article says most people support legalization...wouldn’t it be nice if congress actually supported the will of the people instead of their corporate task masters...

It would be nice if the po-po would just quit hunting us prohibition state farmers !-- Don't care why or how it happens but I'm not holding my breathe until the end of Texas prohibition or for Moscow Mitch to do the right thing ! --

Moscow Mitch ?-- The Grim Reaper ?-- I've heard of him !-- Is that the same one got a deal with that rich russian aluminum dude to build a plant in his district ?
McConnell got sanctions dropped that allowed a company with Russian financing to build an aluminum plant in Kentucky. McConnell faced criticism because the main guy behind the plant ( A Russian who emigrated to the U.S.) is involved in other businesses with somebody identified as a corrupt Russian oligarch. They both own large stakes in a British energy company. I can't criticize McConnell for this. Every U.S. Senator wants to bring jobs to their states. Kentucky gets the prize because Mitch has the power. I think the people criticizing him were just jealous they didn't get the jobs. And jealous of his power. And, of course, a lot of it was partisan politics.

I live near where the aluminum plant is going to be built. 5 miles away.

Moscow Mitch sold us out.

He dropped the sanctions on the Russians so this scumbag can infiltrate Ky politics.

Its well known that generally new plants like this ARE a good thing for the local economy.

BUT, it also allows the Russian Corporations to infiltrate the local, and state politics. FACT.

If you do not do what they want after they get established, they simply take their ball, and go home.

Latest posts

Back