US Sen. Elizabeth Warren Plans Press Conference on Marijuana Bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
from masslive.com

US Sen. Elizabeth Warren Plans Press Conference on Marijuana Bill

elizabeth-warren.jpg

By Gintautas Dumcius

US Sen. Elizabeth Warren plans to hold a Capitol Hill press conference Thursday on a marijuana bill she is co-sponsoring.

The bill, which she is co-sponsoring with Sen. Cory Gardner, a Colorado Republican, seeks to "ensure that each state has the right to determine for itself the best approach to marijuana within its borders," an advisory from Warren's office says.

The advisory adds that the bill "also extends these protections to Washington D.C., U.S. territories, and federally recognized tribes, and contains common-sense guardrails to ensure that states, territories, and tribes regulating marijuana do so safely."

The bill has been named "Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Through Entrusting States (STATES) Act."

The press conference is set for 10:45 am. Warren's office plans to stream it on her Facebook page.

Warren said earlier this year that she was working on the legislation, aimed at rolling back US Attorney General Jeff Sessions' move to rescind Obama-era guidelines. The guidelines called for the US Department of Justice to largely leave alone states that had legalized marijuana for recreational and medical use.

Massachusetts voters approved marijuana for medical use in 2012 and voted for a ballot question broadly legalizing marijuana for adults in November 2016.

There are currently more than two dozen medical marijuana dispensaries operating in Massachusetts, while state regulators with the Cannabis Control Commission are processing applications for retail pot shops that could open this summer.

Colorado, the first state to legalize marijuana in 2012, has had recreational marijuana since 2014.

Marijuana remains an illegal substance at the federal level.

Colorado, the first state to legalize marijuana in 2012, has had recreational marijuana since 2014.

Marijuana remains an illegal substance at the federal level.

https://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/06/us_sen_elizabeth_warren_plans_1.html

I have a feeling that Mr Sessions will be gone soon. His boss no likey him to much. Lol

I hope they get that through. I think political name is not truly conservative. I think he is very moderate and would go with the people on supporting MJ for personal use.

Especially if the 1st family of crime joins the Cannabis business, that’s the way it’s seemingly rolling out.

political name told reporters he would probably sign this bill if it comes to his desk. I hope he does not change his mind.

Hope he does,,and i believe he will. Midterms are coming in November.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised. I don't do politics but it seems to me that if I were going to try to win a second term, I would save the cannabis thing until then. If the current pres (whomever it would be) stated (RIGHT BEFORE ELECTION) that he was going to decrim/resched/legalize/whatever pot, that it would be a shoe-in for re-election.

I think current events are pushing his hand. Like I said, I don't do politics but it seems logical in any race to save your hold card for last.

I don't really care how it happens... as long as it does. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder. I often play in my room and constant thoughts about 'what I would tell the judge' about this plant or these clones or this equipment... is always running through my mind. Been wanting to get out of this dumb hillbilly state for a long time.

e.g. The state announced the dispensary licensees and the location of the 3 future dispensaries. So, I thought it would be cool to drive by and see what was going on. I pull into the parking lot and the store is still not open and the windows are blacked out. But, there is a cop car sitting in the parking lot and the cop is sitting in his car, taking down license numbers of the cars that cruise through to check out the new dope store. LOL

This is the attitude here. MMJ is just another heroin to the people here. We are the 3rd dumbest state in the country (sympathy goes out to Mississippi and Arkansas for taking 1st and 2nd place. LOL). The only reason it is legal here is because a private issue almost passed (actually it did pass but, they said it didn't and.. who would know. It's a 'secret' ballet. LMAO What a joke). So, the state gov decided they better jump on this money train before someone else grabbed all of it. LOL It is $200.000.00 PER YEAR to grow in my state. That is the highest rate in the entire world. LOL Reports were just printed for our schools. Best schools.... 3 out of 10 graduating seniors could not read or write. That's the school I graduated from 50 years ago. Worst school... only THREE out of 10 graduating students could read and write. SEVEN OUT OF TEN GRADUATING SENIORS COULD NOT READ OR WRITE. How can that even be?

OMG, I weep for the future. LMAO

Sorry, rant off.

Anyway, it looks like something federal is definitely in the works. How long it will take. Or, what it will actually do, is yet to be seen.

Wouldn't it be so totally amazing if the entire country just went recreational. OMG Yeah, dream on.

Leaving the states to decide about cannabis laws is similar to alcohol prohibition. The federal government did not end prohibition then. They ended up leaving the States to decide alcohol laws.
Alcohol is legal now in all 50 States
If this bill passes the House and Senate it would be hard for political name no to sign it.

I am so glad to see this bill in congress. This is big.

It still does not make it legal at the federal level. And, it does not re-schedule or de-schedule it either. Cannabis is still a schedule 1 drug.

It's mostly a banking thing. And it helped Oregon to get hemp separated from marijuana.

If the Feds leave it up to the States to decide the laws on cannabis the Federal laws on cannabis will become irrelevant for the most part.

As well as all of the States this bill will include US Territories, District of Columbia and all native American Tribes.

Leaving it up to the states is great for some but my state will never go legal home grow. All weed, alcohol, gambling and whoring is all run by the state gov. And, they say NO to home grow, for obvious reasons.

We’ll get there... personally if political name comes out for legalized pot just to get elected, I will still vote for someone else...just like last time...

lol,,,not sure he cares. He didnt need your vote are mine the last time he won. Although if he does help get the Government out of the Pot Business,,i have a feeling he will get votes he didnt get last time. Who knows.

I love that this is a bipartisan bill--there has been so little agreeing between the two sides lately. I never have anything to write my senator about, except to thank them. Oregon has got 2 pretty good senators who are fairly vocal cannabis advocates.

Also, I think that political name may sign this just to piss off Sessions who is so anti-marijuana and who he is so mad at.

Hackerman, unfortunately, there will always be backward states. I lived the big majority of my life in Idaho (the Texas of the west). They will probably be one of the last states in the union to legalize cannabis in any way. They are more conservative than Utah. I also worry about our future and often quip that I am glad I am old and will die soon.

:eek:
I am not in no rush to Die.. Ill just hang out as long as i can. Things are going pretty good in my neck of the woods.:D

Latest posts

Back