Use of older harvest for edibles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogey8

Very grouchy and ornery today…
Reaction score
So I have a quantity of bud I harvested the end of last summer. I don't think I will be able to smoke/share all of it within the next year. It is vac sealed in mason jars with boveda packs at this time. If it does wind up unsmokable after some period of time, can I use it to make edibles once it is seemed 'unsmokable'?

As a side note, it is getting a nicer taste which I complained about in a different post the longer it is jarred up. I still can't see smoking it all. I guess I am wondering if there comes a time when you can't use it for edibles.

What do you mean by "unsmokeable"? Not pleasant tasting? Smokes rough? Is moldy?

If it is just older stock that you want to get use out of then Yeah go for it. I have been on an edible binge lately. Must have gone through 3 ounces of bud the last month making canna butter.

Not sure what I mean by unsmokable to be honest. It must go bad at some point. My step mother gave me some Hawaiian back in the early 80's that was all dried out and nasty. Not sure how old it was. I just don't want it to get unusable.

I like edibles too. Maybe that is it. I want someone to validate me cooking up some perfectly good bud instead of smoking it. Lol. Thanks Ham.

oh i will save you the trouble, just send them over to me and you can rest assured that they will be used very well :D
seriously, you can smoke them after one year and they will taste great if they are jarred airtight. you can store them for much longer in a fridge. i have smoked weed of 18months harvest stored in room temps that was very tasty and had a lot of potency, but i can't say if the potency decreased or not

thanks zem. i am not as concerned about potentcy. it is a thai sativa so it is not that great for pain relief in the first place. it is a very uppity, energetic buzz. at this point in time, i get pretty buzzed off of a couple of hits so even if the potentcy decreased and i had to smoke 3x what i do now, i have enough to last me quite a while. i appreciate your offer to help me out with my problem. if i knew you socially, i would send some over to you. i honestly don't know a lot of folks that smoke aside from my sons and my father-in-law(who has to closet smoke because my mother-in-law does not beleive it is medicine for his fibromyalgia). i wish there was something like a bud bank where you could deposit your excess bud and have other people use it then when you need to make a withdrawal, the equivalent of what you deposited would be available to you. if tommy chong was president, you know that would be one of his first orders of business...

and good info on the length of time you have kept then smoked some herb. i actually have some budage from spring of 2013 from my first grow vacuum sealed in a mason jar. i take it out when my sons and i go to watch imax 3d movies. we will be breaking the seal this week coming up to go see the hobbit.

Not sure what I mean by unsmokable to be honest. It must go bad at some point. My step mother gave me some Hawaiian back in the early 80's that was all dried out and nasty. Not sure how old it was. I just don't want it to get unusable.

I like edibles too. Maybe that is it. I want someone to validate me cooking up some perfectly good bud instead of smoking it. Lol. Thanks Ham.

Cannabis that is cured and stored properly will last a long time. The stuff your step mother gave you was probably not cured properly and them left out to let it get overdry and/or exposed to sunlight. We do know that the trichs can deteriorate over time or if exposed to harsh light. However, something stored properly will be fine for at least a year. I am sure than any edibles you make will be great.

thanks thg. i do make some pretty awesome brownies with cannabutter made with coconut oil. my secret is a teaspoon of peppermint. makes it so there is no cannabis flavor at all.

i have my stash stored in vacuum sealed mason jars in a duffle bag in my basement where the temp stays in the mid to low 60's. the smoke i have from spring of 2013 actually tastes nicer now than it did when it was fresher. i think my humidity guages are off and maybe i am keeping them a bit above 60% rh. no mold ever but the ash used to be black instead of a nice white. i have some master kush that is about a year old now that is getting nicer too. i just didn't want any of it to go bad. i am sure by most folks standards i don't have that much but a quarter pound is a lot for me as i am a one-hit-wonder and my sons don't smoke as much as they did when they were younger either.

I had exactly the same concern. I have some B grade buds from last march that will likely never get smoked, so I would like to turn them to butter, but how long will it last before it's not good for making edibles? It's been curing in a jar in the dark ever since it was harvested and dried.

Cool--I will have to try the peppermint think. I can never to get my cannabutter very palatable.

Surfer Joe, it will keep a long time if jarred and kept out of direct light.

Latest posts

Back