using 400 watt & 600 watt HPS lite together in bloom room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IKE

Reaction score
Perpetual grow set up here -- would have 4 closet plants on left in first 4 weeks of flower under one lite and on right, 4 closet plants in last 4 weeks of flower under one lite.
Under which set of 4 plants would you put the 600W hps?
I'm thinking over the 4 plants in first week of flower. I recall reading that heat is needed more in the beginning of the plant life cycle and less near the end. I wish I wouldn't have bought the 400W MH / HPS lite but it was a beginner's mistake. Thanks all.

I suppose I could use the 400W MH bulb for veg and just buy another 600 hps - Could use my small T5s for seedlings.

Need more info...like size of closet, are the plants separated by anything etc.

T5's are great for vegging, all I use...

Like Rose I run a 600w and a 400w in my 4x4 tent side by side....I prefer to try and keep an even canopy under both lights and instead use things to bring the pots up and down to keep the canopy even. JMO

IKE said:
Perpetual grow set up here -- would have 4 closet plants on left in first 4 weeks of flower under one lite and on right, 4 closet plants in last 4 weeks of flower under one lite.
Under which set of 4 plants would you put the 600W hps?
I'm thinking over the 4 plants in first week of flower. I recall reading that heat is needed more in the beginning of the plant life cycle and less near the end. I wish I wouldn't have bought the 400W MH / HPS lite but it was a beginner's mistake. Thanks all.

I suppose I could use the 400W MH bulb for veg and just buy another 600 hps - Could use my small T5s for seedlings.

I would do it the other way around--I would run the younger smaller plants under the 400 the first 4 or so weeks and let them finish under the 600W as it has better penetration for the larger plants. I don't really know what you mean about a plant needing more heat in the beginning of the plant life cycle....but I don't think this is true, except maybe when they are very very small. Regardless, plants going into 12/12 are not going to be at the beginning of their life cycle, so the point is really mute.

:yeahthat: I'm with The Goddess on this. The younger plants will not need the penetration of the 600 as much as the older plants will. :)

However, if you have the space and money, your last suggestion would be the best IMO (get another 600 and use the 400 with the metal halide and T5 for veg) :)

How big is your flowering space? I don't think I could ever go back to MH after vegging with T5s. Unless you really think you need the extra lumens, I would go a run or two with the 400 and the 600.

No replies? I'm only guessing that the room isn't divided and would agree with THG on all points. As for vegging with the MH....waste of electricity imho, the T5's are awesome for vegging and are all I use!

I also have to vouch for the T5 I never used MH but I dont think I ever will my growth right now is fine. Plus there alot cheaper to run.

T5 this, T5 that, LOL

I know you all love your T5's and they work great for you but MH is still the best light for vegging, T5's do a good job, but if we agree more lumens/sq ft is better, than MH has to be best.

I can tell you that I get as good veggy growth from 216W of T5s as I got with 400W of MH. I have a 400W and a 250W MH sitting in storage.

Used both MH and T5's and, like THG, my MH (1000w and 400w) are collecting dust!

I actually use them both together in my veg rooms. I start my young ones on the T5, then switch on the MH and move the T5s out to the edges so that I get angled light. Probably overkill but I like doing it, and the plants seem to love it. :)

I keep kicking around adding another 4' 2 bulb T5 to my vegging space, but looking at my plants, I realize that I do not need it.

Hushpuppy--have you gone an entire vegging cycle with just the T5s?

Latest posts

Back