Using Arizer Extreme-Q to eliminate "grow room" odor....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstairsRichie

Reaction score
My better half has been complaining about the plant smell . . . I have no sense of smell, at all...so I was searching on the site for something to control the odor.
I found a pretty cool DIY: fan / 5 gal bucket device... I was going to build one.

I thought of my Extreme-Q... which works as an essential oil diffuser, alongside being a nice vape machine.

It comes with a potpourri/aromatherapy bowl, which I used last year.
I bought some lavender essential oil, and camphor oil, from NOW essential oils. Works well with 1 or 2 plants.

I use a piece of stone in the bowl, you could use the potpourri that comes with the vaporizer, or a pieve of sponge or cotton. put 3-4 drops of oil on the rock, etc., set the temp. at 50 degrees C, put the fan on (has 3-speeds)...plant odor is gone within 2 min.

Extreme-Q comes with a whip, also a bag attachment... I picked it up on eBay for $130.00

View attachment photo 1.jpg

View attachment photo 2.jpg

View attachment photo3.jpg

If your ventilation system is set up right and you have a carbon filter, odor should not be a problem. Trying to mask the odor and eliminating it are two different things. While the Extreme Q can be used as a potpourri diffuser, covering the odor only goes so far. Any one who knows what growing cannabis smells like are probably not going to be fooled by attempts to mask the smell. If odor is a problem, the only real solution is negative pressure in your space with a good carbon filter and exhaust system.

No, products like Ona really do not work, but there is way more to the need for ventilation than odors. You are going to have to get some kind of air exchange going and this is why:

Ventilation serves many different purposes--it is generally needed to cool the lights, but that is not its only use. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. Just having a fan in the space will not do it--you are just moving around CO2 depleted air. You need to be removing old air out of your space and bringing in fresh air on a continual basis. I exchange the air in my space about 3 times a minute. When your exhaust is set up right, you will have negative pressure in your space, which will contain the odors. The air from your grow space needs to be pulled through a carbon filter to eliminate the odors--you truly cannot hope to mask the odor from anyone (including cops) who are familiar with the smell. So ventilation serves multiple purposes and it is almost as important as your lighting. Get a proper ventilation system set up with a carbon filter. This is the only safe way to deal with odors.

THG,
Thanks for the info...I understand indoor growing more. I'm in a building that has 50 units, closed ventilation system of some sort. When you open the door, the air gets sucked out into the hall. My neighbor across the hall, is a retired policeman. The guy next door is also. I'll look into a carbon filter, and some different lighting.
I'm using 4 CFLs, and a MarsHydro 48x3w... Plant seems healthy but not growing much. It's under lights 20 hrs a day...sometimes 24.
Do you think it needs more light? or is lack of ventilation a problem, too?
thanks, for the help. :)

THG,
Thanks for the info...I understand indoor growing more. I'm in a building that has 50 units, closed ventilation system of some sort. When you open the door, the air gets sucked out into the hall. My neighbor across the hall, is a retired policeman. The guy next door is also. I'll look into a carbon filter, and some different lighting.
I'm using 4 CFLs, and a MarsHydro 48x3w... Plant seems healthy but not growing much. It's under lights 20 hrs a day...sometimes 24.
Do you think it needs more light? or is lack of ventilation a problem, too?
thanks, for the help. :)

Why would you grow in an apt building? living next to 2 retired cops? and having ODOR issues?? that's just asking for a knock on the door... good luck

Why would you grow in an apt building? living next to 2 retired cops? and having ODOR issues?? that's just asking for a knock on the door... good luck

I'm an energy worker. I burn Palo Alto, in my practice...

Neighbors are used to the smell...they think I'm a weird hippy.

One of them has been working on my place, plastering, painting, etc.
I think he has no sense of smell.

I know I have to do something else, if I ever flower the plant. :)

good luck man...

I don't know if I'd even spark up a bowl @ your place let alone grow.

I hope you, at least, live in a decriminalized state.

be safe

You should be using the Q to smoke out of. They are a great vaporizer and you get very little odor when smoking from a vaporizer.

You should be using the Q to smoke out of. They are a great vaporizer and you get very little odor when smoking from a vaporizer.
I do when I want to smoke. Have Chronic Bronchitis and emphysema. To many cigs in my young life. Great way to Decarb, too. :)

I'm looking at buying this:

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-A-GrowBright-8in-Inline-Fan-&-Charcoal-Filter-Combo

What's your opinion for a 14' x 2' x 5' space.
I read that I could just leave it in the closet, and it would filter the smell?

You do not need something that large. I would get a 6" fan and filter if you are us8ing the entire space. Check out Amazon--you may get a better price, but be sure to check shipping rates. Get a speed controller meant for a fan (you cannot use a light rheostat)

You do not need something that large. I would get a 6" fan and filter if you are us8ing the entire space. Check out Amazon--you may get a better price, but be sure to check shipping rates. Get a speed controller meant for a fan (you cannot use a light rheostat)
HG,
I linked the wrong link... I was thinking of 6"...wonder if 4" would work?
I'm thinking of going to a grow space this size: 24" L x 18" W x 36" H.
I'm also looking at an Advanced DS200 LED...
What do you think?

For a space that size, I believe the 4" fan would be just fine. I do not know enough about LEDs to advise you. It is still kind of hard to separate the hype from the facts. HID lighting is a bit more straightforward than LEDs.

Latest posts

Back