Using Sous Vide for Deacarb'ing and Infusing Edibles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I am always out for something new. I was reading recently about how the process of Sous Vide is a good way to decarb and infuse edibles.

So, off to the store and bought a very inexpensive SousVide immersion cooker. About 60 bucks.

First, I decarb's the pot by pacing it in the 200F water for about an hour (in a sealed bag). Most things I read said about 90 minutes but I knew I was going to infuse it later so I only went 1 hour.

Absolutely no smell and the pot looks better than any 'oven decarb'd' pot I have ever seen. Plus, all the terps remain in tact which is a major problem with oven decarboxylation.

Then, I took the decarb'd pot and added some coconut oil and water to the bag and put it back in the water for another 2 hours.

I was totally impressed with the entire process and the results. The lack of smell was a nice plus. Mrs. Hackerman doesn't do pot any more so the smell kind of bothers her.

Another nice thing about this method is that you can do as little or as lot as you want. My problem with the MBM is that it requires 2 cups minimum. I used 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of water with 1 ounce of weed. I know it will be too weak for me but some of my friends might like it.

What's really nice is that I put a 1/2 cup in and actually got 1/2 cup out. I usually loose at least some of the butter/oil.

I just put a tablespoon in my protein shake so we'll see, in an hour or so, if it's anything special. The taste was not too terrible. I absolutely gag at the taste of cannabis so for me to say this isn't too bad is a big deal.

I will update as I learn more but I just wanted to toss it out in case anyone else has tried it.

It worked great but I have tolerance issues so I don't know how strong it came out. I am getting ready to run the tests over again and this time I will use thin layer chromatography to measure the potency. I will measure the THC vs THCa before, half way through and at the end of the sous vide. That way I should be able to narrow down a perfect time. So far, most of what I read was 1 to 2 hours for decarb.

I will post the test results when I get to them.

I have recently eaten some of the treats I made with this oil and last night I was giggling like a little girl. Hmmmmm??? Something seems fishy. Nothing gets me high. And, did I mention the weed I used was ABV (I think. If I remember right).

I am forced to try this again. :)

Just so I remember what I did, I'm using 28grams of ABV. Same method as above. 1 hour decarb. 2 hours for extraction.

I'll be back

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back