using topsoil for outdoor grow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SquidyPacheco said:
Cinder is another good replacement for perlite.. the small lava rock(cinder) is so porse that works well for areation.. Here cinder can be scooped up from local cinder pits free.. Cinder breaksdown over the grow and is basicly nutrient packed soil , this may be a Hawaii thing..not sure where else people use cinder(lava rock) for areation.. but it works well for us..

Mac nut husks and Rice hulls also help with areation..

Id also think about baking your topsoil to kill off any bad bacterias and nematodes... when using Mango top soil i usually just make a pile of dirt in the yard then make a fire on the dirt with plum wood.. which creates potash that gets mixed into the top soil... I dont burn the wood until its total ash just till its charcoal which also areates the soil.. mix in well with dirt add lime... Ive done a few broke *** grows this way..

Random thought on perlite... i sure wish someone would release a green perlite ... the choppers here fly around and look for the white perlite in the holes. a prepped hole with white perlite is so easy to spot from a chopper... so i always thought green or brown perlite would be a great idea and probably a huge seller in the MJ consurism craze..

I have also used charcoal for areation too straight up Kingsford brand.. no MatchLight.. works well and is cheap too and not white...

Plenti Aloha
SquidyP :ciao:
thanks for the info! in regards to the eye in the sky spotting perlite, i planned to put leaves and grass/twigs over top of it to blend it in with the surroundings. Ps literally just had a chopper fly by as i read your post =p

Latest posts

Back