Using trim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilDad

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Hoping to make a coconut oil for my wife (never used before) with trim for my most recent harvest. How much oven-described trim would be the rough equivalent of one gram of flower? A weaker mixture is totally cool with me, but I don’t want to waste frozen trim.

Last edited:
It depends on how much trim you have and how trichome coated the trim is as well as how much coconut oil you use. Best practice is to make a batch and try a little bit. Have more if it doesn’t have the desired effect or less if your wife feels it is too strong. I make brownies with my cannabutter and a half of a 1” square is good for me. There are recipes out there for making edibles. Just try one out. I make mine in a slow cooker without decarbing but that is just me. I think I have a thread in it somewhere here. In my opinion, stronger butter is better then you can cut it with plain coconut oil if it is too strong.

Yep, too many variables. Make it, try a little, adjust. Helps if you have a moochey, obnoxious friend to use as a lab rat.

A hint on trying a little; Try a small amount. Wait at least 4 hours. Even better to try again the next day. Trying some and waiting an hour and trying more can lead to a bad night. Trust me on that one.

First time I gave my wife a brownie, after about an hour and a half, she got up and went to bed. Didn’t even say anything. Just wandered off. She told me the next day she was basically tripping laying in bed in the dark (though she has never tripped, it sounded to me like she was)…

First time I ever did home made edibles, a friend of mine made these itty-bitty little loaves of zucchini bread. Stuff tasted great! Before I knew it, I'd eaten the whole loaf (think two large cupcakes).
Spent the next six hours hiding under the bed, counting dust bunnies. Not a good time at all.

As others have mentioned it is highly dependent on the quality of your starting material. In the past I have "estimated" very high quality trim to be 7% for my calculations. I also "estimate" flowers to be 20% for my calculations.

As others have mentioned it is highly dependent on the quality of your starting material. In the past I have "estimated" very high quality trim to be 7% for my calculations. I also "estimate" flowers to be 20% for my calculations.
I did a ‘back of the napkin’ calculation the other day after seeing your estimates to try to get a ballpark idea of the mg/serving of my brownies. It turns out that if you use equal amounts of trim/popcorn and coconut oil/butter, all you have to do is multiple the estimated %-age by 10 to get the mg of cannabinoids per weight of cannabutter. IE 7% mean 70 mg. I used 500 grams of each my last batch of cannabutter and was thinking my math was screwed up because I kept coming up with the same number as the percentage. After writing out the equation, it works. Now if I could just figure out how to get my estimates down…

Made a batch of brownies with my new butter yesterday. Rewarded my self by licking a beater and giving my dog a taste of one. I was lit up and my dog slept better than I have ever seen him sleep(he has done pretty bad arthritis at this point so it is nice to see him get done good sleep).

I did a ‘back of the napkin’ calculation the other day after seeing your estimates to try to get a ballpark idea of the mg/serving of my brownies. It turns out that if you use equal amounts of trim/popcorn and coconut oil/butter, all you have to do is multiple the estimated %-age by 10 to get the mg of cannabinoids per weight of cannabutter. IE 7% mean 70 mg. I used 500 grams of each my last batch of cannabutter and was thinking my math was screwed up because I kept coming up with the same number as the percentage. After writing out the equation, it works. Now if I could just figure out how to get my estimates down…

Made a batch of brownies with my new butter yesterday. Rewarded my self by licking a beater and giving my dog a taste of one. I was lit up and my dog slept better than I have ever seen him sleep(he has done pretty bad arthritis at this point so it is nice to see him get done good sleep).
It throws me every time that I try to do the calculations too. I think my trim estimate is pretty solid, flower I think I'm on lower end of the estimate.

It throws me every time that I try to do the calculations too. I think my trim estimate is pretty solid, flower I think I'm on lower end of the estimate.
I used your 7% estimate and my brownies, which I cut into 1” cubes have approx 1 gram of cannabutter in them(175 grams for the recipe and I cut 16 by 11 for 176 brownies. That makes my brownies have a theoretical 70 mg. I think that is more than the state of MA allows in edibles. lol. There was a lot of keif in the trimmings I used though, carefully aged for a couple of years in my basement(joke). The stuff is positively trippy.

I used your 7% estimate and my brownies, which I cut into 1” cubes have approx 1 gram of cannabutter in them(175 grams for the recipe and I cut 16 by 11 for 176 brownies. That makes my brownies have a theoretical 70 mg. I think that is more than the state of MA allows in edibles. lol. There was a lot of keif in the trimmings I used though, carefully aged for a couple of years in my basement(joke). The stuff is positively trippy.
Most new Edie users are told to start off with 10mgs and work up from there
Most people use around 30mgs once they are use to it .
I have taking larger amounts in my tinctures but after titrations build up to the higher levels.
Bad thing about tinctures is it blows your tolerance way way up if you let it.
Eddies work much the same way.
Greening out is NO FUN

Latest posts

Back