UVB Lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBFan

Days of Wine and....Roses
Reaction score
So I read a post by DirtyolSouth (someone I have a ton of respect for based on the posts he's made here and the info he's given me via PM) about the use of UVB lighting in your grow, particularly during flowering.

So, I did a bunch of research and reading, and everything I found points to the importance of UVB lighting to our favorite plant and the resultant trich development. Even discussed in Clarke's MJ Botany with extremely positive info.

The only other grower here that I've heard comment about UVB lighting is Umbra (another grower I have a ton of respect for and who has also helped me many times). He said he did not have much positive results.

I've already purchased the equipment and I'm just working out how to deal with the additional heat issues created by these bulbs, and when I've got that figured, I'll start posting some info. I'm using a self-ballasted mercury vapor lamp as the output is far greater than the flourescent UVB lights available.

My question is, does anyone else here have any experience with UVB lighting.

Again, my thanks to both DirtyolSouth and Umbra, much respect guys.

I have a UVB bulb that i used my first grow. It produced so much heat I scrapped it. I didnt see a noticable diff in my subsequent grows, but altered many other variables in my grow as well. I guess now that my setup is a little more "dialed in" I could try a side by side to verify or refute....

This is not mine, do not give me credit.*** But here is some info on uvb lights. Maybe this will help.

“ive read a bunch on how plants grown outside is stronger than the same strain grown indoors. and how UV rays are what cause this. UVB are mostly responsible as they are the stronger of the UVB rays. UVB is what you get sunburns/tans from. the plant makes resin to fight off the UV rays, so outside makes for stronger pot.
assumeing all that is right, if you added a UVB light source to a grow room where it would just come on for alil while each day of the flowering phase you might be able to get stronger buds indoors. and if that did work whos to say by makeing the light stay on alil longer each day than the day before the plant wouldnt just go crazy and turn into a huge pile of THC??? lol
anywhoo, what do ya’ll think? worth a shot or not?”

……possibly the most authoritative piece that I have found so far is Pate, D.W., 1994. Chemical ecology of Cannabis. Journal of the International Hemp Association 2: 29, 32-37. This paper is widely referenced in future documentation…so just as I do in my professional work….I like to stick with what the ganja research fraternity takes as somewhat of an authoritative piece.

As a little of an aside, this may be valuable in the discussion relating to the “purpose” of resin – in regards to this, it references anti-dessication (i.e., THC concentration higher in xeric conditions), antimicrobial, antifungal, antifeedant *i.e., chemical and physical deterrent) and UV-B pigmentation roles. But that’s another topic. I want to look at what factors might best guide us in further maximizing our resin production and thereby potentially, our potency.

In this regard, I take from this paper (and the unavoidable tangential research….), the following:

cannabinoids are present in glands throughout the plant in two forms…stalked and not stalked;
the density of glands increases as you move up the plant (uncertain whether or not this is a function of maturity or structural difference – more study needed)
in one study, the THC generally increased as locations became less favorable for plant growth, suggesting increased plant stress enhanced delta-9-THC production
cannabinoids also may function in the role of UVB protection (another biological stress-inducer), which may be functionally analogous to human skin pigmentation (again more study needed to understand and resolve current information).
colour rendering Index (CRI) with a maximum value of 100 (i.e., that of outdoor daylight) – only comparable with lights on the same temperature (i.e., 2700K, or 6500K, etc.). For example it is un-instructive to compare identical wattage CRI (70 vs. 20) of MH (4500K) vs. HPS (2700K)
recent developments in LPS (Low pressure sodium) might provide some better solutions
Pate (1983) and Lydon et al (1987) both demonstrated that under conditions of high UV-B exposure, drug-type Cannabis produces significantly greater quantities of THC.
The following are a couple of excerpts from a post entitled UV and it’s effects (BC Growers Association)….from 1999….. hXXp://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/amphitheatre/5796/uv.htm

“Growers use two or more 20 minute UV light treatments during the day cycle.”

“Metal halide produce the best potent weed less lumens for the money but better smoke. After years of testing with some friends who did want to keep THEIR recipe (more hps) i foung there weed to be harsh, full of CBD, make me eat and sleep, only good to sell to someone else taht you dislike. The blue spectrum will give you a final product that have everything included :taste without curing, potency and yield, To be effective a ratio of 2 MH for 1 hps at the most.(hps) Hps alone can produce a cash crop but not a connaisseur crop.
Et Voila...”

Q1. if UV in ionisers is used for odour control, will high UV light conditions (high altitudes) also influence odour – which has been postulated to have important functionality in the life cycle of cannabis?

Q2. should/could we maybe consider the introduction of a “highly limited” level of exposure to UVB to enhance resin production while within the limited of phytological degradation?

Q3. do we need to take a closer look at the true comparison of the growth potential/potency of using HPS vs. MH vs. MV lights? Have we been incurring a limitation to potency by using HPS lighting for flowering?

The closer to the troposphere that a plant is grown the stronger the UVB = more potent MJ.

:peace:

I love it when someone brings up a topic concerning marijuana that I'm ignorant of.

I've not read much concerning the use of UVB for MJ, but I'd love to learn more in detail about the resulting harvests.

1. About how much of a percentage of increase in strength is there?

2. Exactly how it's used in reference to lamp height, reflectors and heat increase amounts.

3. How many watts are used per/sq ft of canopy?

4. How many times a day and how many hours at a time are the UVB lights to be left on, as compared to other lighting?

If someone here has used them and knows the answers to these questions, I'd sure love to hear it.

Great topic!

StoneyBud said:
I love it when someone brings up a topic concerning marijuana that I'm ignorant of.

I've not read much concerning the use of UVB for MJ, but I'd love to learn more in detail about the resulting harvests.

1. About how much of a percentage of increase in strength is there?

2. Exactly how it's used in reference to lamp height, reflectors and heat increase amounts.

3. How many watts are used per/sq ft of canopy?

4. How many times a day and how many hours at a time are the UVB lights to be left on, as compared to other lighting?

If someone here has used them and knows the answers to these questions, I'd sure love to hear it.

Great topic!
Hi Stoneybud and all...

I tend not to jump in too much on discussions of UV lighting unless someone asks due to safety concerns. UVB can cause skin cancer with repeated exposure and even severe eye damage and blindness. I don't think this can be overstated. Long sleeves to protect your skin and UV blocking eyewear is strongly recommended. I have my fixture mounted so that I can kill the power to it before entering my grow closet and it's facing away from the closet door and I'd have to remove my plants and get in the closet to be exposed to dangerous levels. I also don't think using UV bulbs is for the person who dabbles in growing but imho it does have a place in the indoor garden with more experienced growers who have a handle on their situation and would like to experiment with an esotheric side of lighting.

I've used UVB supplementation in a 2 x 4 x 8 closet grow for about 6 years with a 3 year hiatus in that period from growing. I read a Dutch study online years ago that cited more trich production from using some UV phototherapy bulbs. It was a Philips FS40T12 UVB 'wideband' bulb. I was able to find these lamps online at a medical supply website. Apparently these bulbs are made for light phototherapy for patients with skin conditions like psoriasis. The first medical supplier I called wouldn't sell them to me without a doctor's prescription. I grow culinary herbs for local restaurants and the next place I called the guy asked what I wanted to use them for and I assured him that no humans would be in contact with them and they were for industrial garden use. They had me fax a statement to that effect and I got my bulbs... $75 each + very steep shipping as they require a special reinforced shipping box. You might be able to tell a med supply company that it's for a huge reptile enclosure and they'd sell them too... I'd imagine that they just don't want to the expose (ouch!;)) themselves to lawsuits. The bulbs come with a warning that says for 'medical or industrial use only.'

So 5-6 years ago I started using two of the 4' Philips T12 bulbs, mounting them at an angle from the edge of my 1k reflector down toward the canopy about 8" - 12" from the top of the canopy. On some strains that I had past experience with I noticed an increase in earlier trich production in the same grow conditions and some strains seemed to benefit more than others from UV exposure. I'm not a scientist but I did notice a significant enough increase in dankness to continue using the bulbs. I used these for about 3 years and then had to stop growing due to constant work travel the past 3 years and now I am finally in one place and I put together another closet growroom. I found the Philips bulbs again and have one grow under my belt but I haven't had a chance to do any A/B tests on the same strains with and without UV lighting but hope to after I get some of my strains culled down a bit.

I have found a great thread over at Cannabis World forum with a ton of useful info on different bulb types including my Philips med bulb as well as several other UVB reptile bulbs. These guys are very detailed in their data and it may be more of what you're looking for on data:

hXXp://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/showthread.php?t=5072

I've always used the bulbs for 4 hrs per day, mid day unless I have a strain that doesn't react well and then I'll dial in the amount according to what my plants are telling me. After reading many forum posts on UVB lighting and what has worked for others as well as info from the reply to the thread thread I posted above seems to confirm 4 hours as being a good amount.

I posted a question about my bulbs ('greenplanetguru' on CW) and they were very helpful and gave me an idea to run my bulbs lower in the canopy for more broad plant exposure and another guy suggested that I run a 'high level' UV exposure time of 4 hours like I've been doing it and also to give them another 6 hours of milder exposure. Eventually I may try running both of my T12's for 4 hrs per day and then just one of them for another 4-6 hours.

Have fun out there but most of all... BE SAFE!

Peace!:cool:

HippyInEngland said:
The closer to the troposphere that a plant is grown the stronger the UVB = more potent MJ.

:peace:

Hi HIE-
How've you been my friend?

Everything I've read says this is absolutely true. I've also found articles stating that MJ grown at higher elevations (where UV radiation is naturally higher) also produces higher THC content.

The question that I can't quite get answered is: Is this a result of an evolutionary process as a natural defense mechanism in response to conditions the plant has been subjected to for thousands of years? In other words, the strain has developed more trichomes to protect itself against the UV rays over it's strains lifetime, but that the plants we grow indoors are not going to react specifically to introduced UV lighting.

I have grown the same strains for a few grows now. I won't be able to tell if there is an increase in thc or trichome production (I left all my special testing equipment in my other lab :) ), I'll just be able to offer my own impressions.

Does LED's have plenty of the B light? My stuff is VERY strong.

Hi Stoney- How's retirement treating you?

StoneyBud said:

1. About how much of a percentage of increase in strength is there? The jury's still out as I can't find any scientifically verifiable data (at least in what I've read so far).

2. Exactly how it's used in reference to lamp height, reflectors and heat increase amounts. Most of the lamps I've looked at drastically lose effectiveness (as measured in Microwatts/CM2) at 12". Here's a link on some reptile lights and their effectiveness over distance:

hXXp://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Researchmain.html

So heat is an issue. As far as reflectors, I've read that polished aluminum reflectors are far superior to white for directing UV rays.

3. How many watts are used per/sq ft of canopy? Again, it's more an issue of MW/cm2. There are mercury vapor lights and flourescents commercially available, so watts will vary.

4. How many times a day and how many hours at a time are the UVB lights to be left on, as compared to other lighting? DirtyOlSouth lists his recommendations in a post above. I've read small doses at first and increasing based on the plants tolerance, up to as much as 8 hours a day. Most comments are that it should be concentrated towards "mid-day". And I've also read it should be introduced during veg and continued through flower.

Great topic!

I'd like to clarify again, this information is only what I have gleaned through reading up on the subject and my interpretation of that information. I'll gladly put up some links if you're interested in reading up on your own. I have only just purchased a UV lamp and I am working on the heat issues before I put any plants under it.

Also, like DOS said, safety is critical here.

imburne said:
I am using the ones from sunshine by the way

Hi Imburne- Do you know how much UV they put out?

Latest posts

Back