Advertise On Marijuana Passion

vacation watering solution?

Tom O'Bedlam

Reaction score
Going away for 5 days and the plants start to look pretty sad after 3 days without liquid refreshment. Will they be ok (they're in 5 gallon pots, about 6 weeks into 12/12) or should I start to look at pumps or other ways to feed the plants? Maybe a 2nd, outer pot around the first with some water in it?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Tom

PS I'm looking for a cheap/homemade solution!

pcduck

Feed the soil, not the plant
Reaction score
Rez - pump - drip irrigation

Mine get all droopy after 3 days

Tom O'Bedlam

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing after calling the local garden shop...

pcduck

Feed the soil, not the plant
Reaction score
If it is in season (spring supplies out) you may be able to find everything at a Hope Depot or Lowes.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
You can get some of the watering type stuff at Homedepot if you look at the yard and flowerbed watering systems. That is what I use with some of the nicer submersible fish tank pumps. It makes it nice to have the individual watering automated. All I do is have 2 50liter totes that I have drilled holes in the lid for my hoses to go through, so that I can keep the lid on to keep the water dark and protected from debris. I also have an air pump and air stone to keep the water oxygenated for the roots. I mix up my nute solution and let it aerate for a couple hours before the digital timer turns on the pump and waters my babies. You would have to customise it to work for your setup so that you don't create a flood but it shouldn't be hard at all. :)

Wetdog

Old Droopy Dog
Reaction score
The second pot with water in it would be the cheapest and easiest.

Shouldn't cause any problems for a 5 day duration. It didn't for me when I did it.

Longer than 5 days might be a problem, but not 5. Don't need much water in it, a couple inches or so. You just need enough for the 2 days past the normal watering.

Wet

Hamster Lewis

Reaction score
I think Wetdog is right...second pot shld work fine. I wldnt do it often but once in a while won't really hurt anything. If I din't hve many plants I wld do that when I go on vacation....
I hve been shutting down my grow when I go on vacay. I make sure everything is flowered out in time and all I hve left is my Keeper Moms. I take cuts from them and put them in the fridge right before I leave. The cuts will stay good in my fridge for up to 4 weeks. When I get back from vacay and am ready to resurrect my moms I put the cuts in my bubble cloner and in like 10-14 days I hve replacement moms.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
Hey Hammy; I been wantin to ask you about puttin clones in the fridge. What are the particulars to doing that? I may have to shut down my grow this summer for the hottest part as I don't have a good way to keep them cool enough if it get too blazing hot here as it does sometimes. I am just getting some good strains goin and I'd hate to lose them. Thanks :)

Hamster Lewis

Reaction score
Hushpuppy said:
Hey Hammy; I been wantin to ask you about puttin clones in the fridge. What are the particulars to doing that? I may have to shut down my grow this summer for the hottest part as I don't have a good way to keep them cool enough if it get too blazing hot here as it does sometimes. I am just getting some good strains goin and I'd hate to lose them. Thanks :)
Hush I did a thread on it but I believe it was lost in the crash...something like three clones, one fridge, 30 days. I took cuttings and put them in zip lock baggies and they went into the crisper of my fridge. I had wrapped the cut ends in moist paper towel which was a mistake. After doing it a few times I found that just taking the cuts and putting them right into a baggie and into the crisper....no prep on them. When I am ready for them I pull how ever many cuts I need and then prep them as if I just took the cuts. I cut a sterile 45 under water and then scrape the stem and dip in cloning gel. Then they get put into my bubble cloner. I got them to throw roots even at 30 days.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
Sweet man :) Thanks, That will come in handy in the future, real handy.:)

Tom O'Bedlam

Reaction score
I rigged a small aquarium pump in a 5 gal bucket with a hose. A battery-powered programmable timer from radio shack completes the system. It puts out roughly 2 quarts in one minute which is a little more than I usually give, but it's the shortest time increment the timer has. The pump was $8.95 and the rest of the stuff I had lying around, except for new batteries. I've tested it and it should do the trick!:D

thanks

Latest posts