Vegging with T5s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KP419

Reaction score
I would just like to get some feedback on personal experience fro you guys that have used them for vegging. Do they supply enough lumens for vigorous growth? Will your plants stretch looking for more light using T5 bulbs?

I use a 8 bulb 24" T5, it works great for vegging up to about 18 inches or so.

2' 8 bulb T-5, also, works great less heat.

Works great, no stretch, can just about set the lights on the plants.

The only T5's I've seen here are single tubes , how many would you recommend i stick up for an area 18" wide 2 meter long just for vegging 1st 3 or 4 weeks?

I started using T5s years ago and never looked back. I had a couple of MH that I gave away as I knew that I would not be using them again to veg. Be sure to get the HO tubes that emit 5000 lumens and keep them right on top of the plants. You really want the plants within an inch or 2 of the tubes.

A small fan will dissipate the heat when they are close. You get awesome tight nodes with the T5's IMO.

I have even flowered Mother Plants with them. I really like them. Not so expensive to run either.

I would say to definitely get an 8bulb T5HO with the "grow" or 6500K bulbs(sometimes they list the bulbs as either "grow" or "bloom" bulbs but the actual spectrum in Kelvin is 6500 for the "grow" and 3000 for the "bloom". Don't get the mixed bulbs as you don't need the bloom bulbs if you are just using it for veg.

However, I do recommend getting 1-2 bulb fixture with the "bloom" bulb for putting over the cloner as I have seen significant root growth under the "bloom" versus the "grow" bulb after doing several tests. :)

I just got a TekFour from HTG Supply last month. It's 2'x2' with four double bulbs, output is 20k lumen. I got a set of both 6500K and 3000K bulbs for it . . . it rocks

Aug22_12.jpg

I've got to put on my resourceful hat and figure out how to get some of these.
Wish me luck.

I've got the same light Dan does and it's made my plants extremely happier than what I had been using. They're not very expensive either which was nice!

Tasty you can order them off the internet if you are able to where you are at.

Dan K. Liberty said:
I just got a TekFour from HTG Supply last month. It's 2'x2' with four double bulbs, output is 20k lumen. I got a set of both 6500K and 3000K bulbs for it . . . it rocks

Dan, I think that you need to get your lights a lot closer. You can literally get your light an inch or two from the plants. I am wondering if the 3000K tubes are contributing to stretch?

9-14-12 020-1.jpg

I have the set of 6500K bulbs in THG, but I see what you're saying . . . I took that pic right after I hung the new light . . . those clones stretched under the poor lighting I gave them before I got the TekFour . . . and yes, I did move the light right down on the tops after I got comfortable with the temps, which are minimal :cool2:

Didn't realize that you had just gotten the light. I think that you are going to see a lot closer internodal spacing. T5s just kick butt. It is hard to believe at first that you actually can get the light right down on top of the plants without burning them.

Thanks so much for the info Im definitely getting a set of these. My plants stretched a lot using a MH and it cost more to run them and I had a huge problem with heat in my new room and really did some damage to my plants, they burnt up and stopped growing for weeks but finally came back but put me way behind schedule. Also I hated how my ballast has a small hood so light is restricted to a specific area and gotta keep plants so close together to get sufficient light for all. thx again everyone I really wish I would have discovered this site a very long time ago lol i love this site and the dedication from its members.

t5s all the way muka!<<< its my next move deffo after seen wot they did for my lil cuzs autos <<mega bushed them up!

And for 200W for 20k lumens is killer for energy savings and get 40K lumens for 400W is more than a 400W MH bulb will put out(36,000 lumens) and you get all of the lumens from how close you can put the light on your plants.

Whats this HO the t5's I see here are in normal building/ electrical supply shop.. I dont see any HO rating on any of the boxes are these different lights I'm looking at?

Check the wattage and the lumens. The 4' HO tubes are 54W and emit 5000 lumens or about 92 lumens per watt.

A lot of those electrical supply places sell the "shoplights" that are T5 bulbs but they are not HO. You will most likely have to order those from a grow shop online unless you have a grow shop in your area. I would look at Ebay and buy them there as you can get some really good deals and have them shipped right to your house. Just don't use USPS or FedEx as both of them have become sorry for treating packages with care.

Here is a real good price on an 8bulb fixture with bulbs(remember to change the hxxp back to http when you plug into your browser) I buy a lot of stuff from this company and have no problems :) : hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/sun-blaze-t548-4ft-lamp-t5-grow-light-p-1938.html

Latest posts

Back