Vent too Hot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorBudMan

Reaction score
I have a modified AC unit cooling my room. It has some 4" ducting venting the hot air out the back and into the attic. When the AC is running at full steam the ducting gets very warm. Some times it gets so hot that I can barely hold my hand on it. Is this dangerous? Is there a heat rating on standard 4" aluminum ducting? Should I use larger ducting?

You using a portable unit? You're running it way too hot. Look at your overall ventilation. Do you have sufficient intake or maybe too much?

Dangerous? If it's a good unit it should trip before it goes too far, but why chance it? Be safe.

that ducting can handle a couple hundred degrees, but single wall vent should be six inches from combustibles. That is code.

Also, those little baby AC units barely do anything.

You may have better results using air cooled hoods and appropriately sized, insulated duct.

Also, It would be better if you can get that exhaust all the way out. Your not supposed to vent things into an attic. I would figure out a way to get it all the way outside. Either all the way through the attic or paint a piece of wood black and blank off a window. Have the window open and then you can cut holes in the wood for duct.

Latest posts

Back