Ventilation conversion from HPS to LED..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
Sorry about a possibly confusing title, I just didn't know how to word what I mean.

Basically, I'm swapping out my four 600w HPS setups for 8 LED light fixtures.

I currently have a 4" carb filter / ducting / 375CFM fan setup in one tent..
and a 6" carb filter / ducting / 465CFM fan setup in the other tent..

How would I go about re-venting my 4.5 x 4.5 tents with what I have? I do not know yet, the proper practices with an LED setup. Do I need even more OSC fans inside, to push air over the LED's? I'm such a noob all over again, help! :D
I'll be setting my entire room up later tonight just before lights on. When I get lights on, they will be awakened with a new spectrum of light. :D Hope I don't stress em out too much lol

Any and all thoughts, as usual, please :)

A thought I had was.. "this should be super simple" lol

Just simply vent the room as I have been, without the lights being passed through. Probably turn them down on the controller too.

I may just be over thinking things here, just wanted to start a thread to help anyone guide me in preparation to todays(tonights) events about to transpire. :D

A thought I had was.. "this should be super simple" lol

Just simply vent the room as I have been, without the lights being passed through. Probably turn them down on the controller too.

Yep, that sounds about right to me.

Cool, thanks Dman.

Mostly wondering what I need to do in preparation of setting these LED's up. Do I need to pass more air over them? (More fans in tent?)

Dont know if it is specific to my spaces but all i had to do was switch the lights and turn down my exhaust a bit, I always have a fan blowing across the canopy, just keep in mind while the LED produces less heat, they still do produce a fair amount of heat.

you need to picture the individual air-flow within each of those (4) fixtures and work with them to remove the heat

the issue I see is all 4 want to pull from the top and push out the sides... if one unit is higher than the other(s) its hot air (flowing out the sides) will be drawn into the other unit(s') intake...
on the other hand, if they are all lined up each fixture has 2 sides blocked by the other units.

It might take some ingenuity to keep all units getting cool intake air and free-flowing outlet (HOT) air.
:48:

Lights came this morning at 10am... wow. I ordered them direct at 8:30 pm on Sunday night, and at 10 am Tuesday morning they arrived.

Oh, yeah. Also, the FedEx guy dropped one from the top of an 8 stack on the dolly in my driveway....right in front of me. Always fun to see with a box that says "fragile, handle with care".

Needless to say, I plugged this one in first, and it was the prettiest colors I've ever seen LOL. You can tell I'm an LED Noob!

Any and all thoughts on adjustments to make going from HPS to LED in the tents. I will be setting this up today / tonight. Tents are 5 1/2 weeks flowered, and almost 1 week flowered... hoping this doesn't stress them much.

Also, thanks Dman and Joe for checking in :aok:

@Joe: hah, I'm so curious now what the heck I'm to do. Need to sort this out!

I don't know the exact measurements of your tent or fixtures etc so if there is enough room to do some/any of these ideas I'm not sure...

ducting cool air "direct" to the fan inlet or "upside-down wings" directing the hot exhaust air up (watch you don't create a loop of hot air getting sucked back into the fixture)

I would start off by setting them up evenly spaced all around and see what happens. (IE 2" between tent wall and light with 2" between lights and 2" between last light and tent wall) who knows that may work out fine.
Removing one fixture opens up a lot of space and could be an easy/fast fix if things are going bad to worse

I have 2 lights right next to each other but that only blocks 1 of the 4 sides for each and has not effected temps much.
:48:

edit
I would test the fixtures, see if the fan wants to naturally blow out one or two sides way more than other sides, maybe blocking a side or two wont effect your temps too much either

The led's are so much cooler then HPS. They do have some heat though like Joe said. I have three lights in a row. Just remember to not burn the plant by getting it too close. Allow at least 18 inches maybe more. I start higher at first then bring them down to about 14 or so... Your lights may be different than mine. One of my lights is different from the other two and it needs 18 inches minimum. I didn't hook up the exhaust i used for the hps. But i have a door to open too. Pink mojo Fang.

Doc, 8 LED fixtures instead of 4x600w hps, may i ask, how many watts are the LED fixtures? and what is their consumption rate? i am interested to know how much energy savings is it possible with LED provided that i get similar growth and yield

Actual power draw of 175w per fixture times 8 fixtures = 1,400 watts total consumption. Each fixture is rated a 400w equivalent (to HPS) making my total foot print 1,600 watts per tent. I'm going to document, in detail, all findings along the way. I have a flowering tent that's less than a week in, so this will be a REALLY good test in my opinion :D

Also, 1 tent is done and the other is almost done. Very pretty and very intense! Ventilation isn't going to be an issue I don't think, so this thread may be slightly irrelevant now.

Will post pics in my journal tonight. :D

Lights came this morning at 10am... wow. I ordered them direct at 8:30 pm on Sunday night, and at 10 am Tuesday morning they arrived.

Oh, yeah. Also, the FedEx guy dropped one from the top of an 8 stack on the dolly in my driveway....right in front of me. Always fun to see with a box that says "fragile, handle with care".

Needless to say, I plugged this one in first, and it was the prettiest colors I've ever seen LOL. You can tell I'm an LED Noob!

Any and all thoughts on adjustments to make going from HPS to LED in the tents. I will be setting this up today / tonight. Tents are 5 1/2 weeks flowered, and almost 1 week flowered... hoping this doesn't stress them much.
Sweet DGF I am interested to hear your feedback on the payload of those four led's on your tent. I was gonna get four of those for my tent, however I think the two 900w may be better as their lighter. With all I am hanging from my tent. I have an Apollo 4x4. I don't want it to come crashing down, lol. My poor babies would not be happy. However I think you and pj have me convinced to go with the Mars hydro lights.

Mr Brix, be prepared to check my journal "The Dr's Office" in about 20 minutes or so from now. I'm working on editing and uploading some pics. I tell you, this is already amazing. I have a much better ventilation system than ever before, and I believe these lights are rather quality. It's just good, quality LED's without the frills. No remote or built in timers or dim switch or even power button, and I do not need any of that. I just need these to do at least as good as I was doing, and so far I'm super impressed.

Also, I have Sun Huts (4.5' x 4.5') and these lights are pretty hefty. The support bars at the top, for the lights, are holding all 4 of these NO problem. I was slightly concerned at first too, until I had a tent complete and I noticed I could still tug on the bars without issue.

Hope to see you in the journal! Thanks again PJ!! Would love your continued thoughts with LEDs. :aok:

Latest posts

Back