Ventilation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have a two part question.

Which makes it easier to control room temperature, a sealed hood and vent the lights and room separately, an unsealed hood and vent lights and room at the same time?

Can I hook my intake hose for the lights to my central air plenum in the summer so the room gets a shot of cold air every time the A/C kicks on?

do you have provisions for fresh air intake, it's a critical part of the equasion...
I am growing with cfl right now. I am getting ready to build a bigger better flower room and upgrade to a 600w hps.
I just want to have a solid plan when I start on it in the near future.
I was thinking about intaking from the ac plenum during the summer, and intaking from the basement during the winter.
As far as exhaust goes, I was thinking I could possibly exhaust the heat from the light and room into the main living area (carbon filter) during winter, and exhaust outside in the summer.

when you design your new room make sure fresh air ventilation is at the forefront of your design...I had a terrible time until I realized my fresh air delivery wasn't doing it's job...

when you design your new room make sure fresh air ventilation is at the forefront of your design...I had a terrible time until I realized my fresh air delivery wasn't doing it's job...
Are you intaking air from inside your house, or from outside?

I grow in a building that is large and multi functional...I draw my fresh air from an interior wall within a building...I exhaust thru a 16" louvered fan on the outside wall...I have a 2.5 ton dedicated a/c unit for just that room, some gets drawn outside but I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the fresh air I am now getting...

if you can draw fresh air from outside that is your best bet

if you can draw fresh air from outside that is your best bet
Summer temps get close to 100 degrees where I am at, and winter can have long stretches of 20 degree weather. I just don’t think it would be wise to run a constant circulation. I could set something up to circulate air every 24 hours and do a daily exchange of inside and outside air?

Anywho, my original plan was to vent the light and room separately because I figured I could get the light closer to the plants that way.
I really couldn’t think of any advantage to doing it the other way, but I thought I would ask to be sure.
Then I was worried that maybe it would get too hot in there anyway and wanted to have a back up plan in case it did. That’s when I came up with the bright idea of just T-ing into the flex duct and running ac to my room. I immediately realized that would make all the duct work in my whole house the intake. I thought it sounded like a pretty solid plan, I couldn’t think of anything it would hurt, but with my luck, someone on here will be an HVAC technician and they will tell me I can’t do that because it will vapor lock the kanooter valve on my ac compressor or something.
Ole’ Brown Thumb (that’s what I call my wife)
would be madder than a wet hen if I blowed that thing about mid July.

buy a temperature and humidity grow room controller with a timer

we grew at 10,000 feet in the winter and had outside fresh air intakes and we exhausted the hot air into another separate room for free heat

we did not need air conditioning up that high in the mountains

but a friend who grew indoors at normal elevations used a split ac to keep his grow room temps under control

this worked for us , ran between 6 and 12 1000 watt lights over 4x4 tables

but yeah , you can control your growing environment totally….temperature , humidity , oxygen levels , and turn your lights and fans on and off automatically

ECCC5F8A-1583-4BDE-8A9A-322ADD3FA3C0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back