Venting outside issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chark

Reaction score
Hey everyone i got a problem. Usually i research and solve by myself. However im still having a odor problem. not in my home but the exhuast going outside smells .lets start off by saying i have 2 carbon scrubbers that i pull from,2 tents connected and vented out through the attic. My house inside is ok its outside that smells. I do the dryer sheets but thats only a temp fix. The 6" vent is connected to a vent on top of my roof. should i just vent it into my attic but not to the attic vent. Maybe make some kind of ventbox?? i dunno any help would be much appricated thanks

BTW this fourm and members are great 99% of my knowledge was learned here. I read alot almost everyday trying to educate myself more and you guys never let me down thanks:icon_smile:

I just vent mine into the attic and let it mix with the air before going out roof vents

Hi Chark
Its seem that you may need to re-new your carbon if possible !
If not maybe a new filter is in need !
Which brand of filter/s do you use ?
How many hours have you used them/it for?

its a growbright 6" from htg supply . However they are new

i was thinking about venting directly into the attic and not directly into the vented roof. thanks for the replys

Could be the strain too. I ran the cheese once and it stunk pretty bad despita a new carbon filter!

Chark said:
BTW this fourm and members are great 99% of my knowledge was learned here. I read alot almost everyday trying to educate myself more and you guys never let me down thanks:icon_smile:
Hi Chark ;)
The only other option i can think of would be faulty equipment maybe 1 filter doe'snt contain enough carbon to prevent the aroma :)

Yet i am an outdoor/greenhouse grower and i'm only commenting because i enjoyed reading your quoted sentences ;)

I am curious as to why 99% of you knowledge was learned here ..
Did you get 1% from rollitup ?
If so that must of been over many years :)

Peace and i hope you can sort it out Good luck ;)

I grow in my garage when the weather permits. I run my ducting out if the tent and into a box (I use one of those storage containers from Walmart, costs like $8). I go from filter out of tent into box. I need the heat from the light for the cold temps in winter.

In the box I've got a container with some Ona mixed with kitty litter and a enough water to keep it moist. The air hits the mix, and kills any smell the carbon filter doesn't get. It's a simple fix, can be done for about $20, depending on how much Ona gel (don't get liquid) you buy.

I would be careful venting hot, potentially moist air into an attic space. I like TKR's method.

If your light and all of your ducting is not sealed 100% (few lights are), you are also pulling unfiltered air through your exhaust. Putting your filter on the outlet side of the fan may take care of this.

thanks again for all of the responses. i will try a couple of your suggestions and see if that does the job. the box thing is a good idea . do you have the box sealed up or does it have holes/hole to release the air out? how long does your box last before you have to make another ?
The 1 % was learned from a few friends who grow but i soon found out they werent as educated on the subject as the thought. LOL:D

If you have a newer filter that is matched to the size of your grow, then it should be filtering properly unless your plants are tremendously funky, there is an air leak as THG suggested, or you don't have the ventilation hooked up correctly. If the filter is small (I just looked at those filters at HTG and they have different sizes), it may be getting overwhelmed by the smell.

If all else fails, here is an option for you. This is an ozone generator that you mount in place inside a collector box or in the exaust line on the way out of the house. It generates ozone and injects it into the passing air and will eleminate all the odors: hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/uvonair-1000-junior-ozonator-p-3685.html

Just a word of warning though: Don't set it up within your grow space as it will kill your plants. Don't set it up in your working space as it will give you symptoms of bronchitis. I would get a tote(one of the big ones) and mount it in that. then route the exaust hose into the tote and an outlet on the other end going out of the attic to the outside. Once the Ozone hits the open air, it will disperse and not cause any problems. :)

thanks for the reply hushpuppy
i have a ozone generator actually that i use perodically.
im going to try the box technique. im going to use a plastic tote and run my duct into it and see if that solves the issue. Also check for leaks(im sure there are some)

Chark said:
thanks for the reply hushpuppy
i have a ozone generator actually that i use perodically.
im going to try the box technique. im going to use a plastic tote and run my duct into it and see if that solves the issue. Also check for leaks(im sure there are some)

You will still have to have a hole in the box for air to escape, Use the Ona gel mixture TKR mentioned.
By the way TKR I mix mine with Soil moist instead of kitty litter, its cool because it swells up like a gel, then as is evaporates it shrinks down and can just add more water/ona.

Growdude said:
You will still have to have a hole in the box for air to escape, Use the Ona gel mixture TKR mentioned.
By the way TKR I mix mine with Soil moist instead of kitty litter, its cool because it swells up like a gel, then as is evaporates it shrinks down and can just add more water/ona.

Nice tip Growdude...

i went and got a big box of kitty litter, a big jar of ora gel and a 27 gal tote.
ill make this box up tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know how its working.
thanks again for the help;)

Waiting to see how it works for ya.

:) :) well i made the box/tote last night. It was super simple and quick. Looks like its a winner. Now its only been a very short amount of time however its effective and i think it will work good. Might just have to replace the ora gel and litter once in a while . Thanks again for the great ideas:)

get a skunk to spray your yard.that should do the trick lol

Hey thats an idea. Get a couple cages and put Skunks inem in the backyard,,,tell everybody ya sale Skunks on the side.:D
Neiabors might hate ya,,but they wouldnt know ya was growen weed.:hubba:

Latest posts

Back