Virginia Attorney General Supports Legalization of Recreational Cannabis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From High Times
Virginia Attorney General Supports Legalization of Recreational Cannabis
th

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring
A recent study by the University of Mary Washington shows that more than 60 percent of Virginia residents also support legalization.
October 3, 2019
By Thomas Edward
Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring would like his state to become the latest to move toward marijuana legalization. Herring, a Democrat serving in his second term as Virginia AG and who intends to run for governor of the state in 2021, made his position known in a tweet on Wednesday.

“Virginians know we can do better. It’s time to move toward legal, regulated adult use,” Herring wrote.

The tweet was accompanied by a link to a news story about a poll showing rising support for legalization in the commonwealth.

The survey, conducted earlier this month by the University of Mary Washington, found that 61 percent of Virginians support legalization marijuana for recreational use—up from 39 percent when the school polled the same question only two years ago.

Herring could be telegraphing a major campaign position for his upcoming gubernatorial run—unless the state’s general assembly, which is currently controlled by Republicans, takes up legalization before then. Steve Heretick, a Democrat in Virginia’s house of delegates, said that he intends to file legislation to legalize cannabis next year.

This is Not a New Stance For Herring

Herring had already voiced his support for decriminalizing marijuana. In an op-ed published in June, Herring wrote that “Virginia’s policy of criminalizing minor marijuana possession is not working.”

“It is needlessly creating criminals and burdening Virginians with convictions. The human and social costs are enormous, in addition to the millions of dollars it costs Virginia taxpayers. And the negative consequences of the current approach fall disproportionately on African Americans and people of color,” he said. “That is why Virginia should decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana, address past convictions and start moving toward legal and regulated adult use.”

It’s a position shared by Virginia’s current governor, Democrat Ralph Northam, who used his state of the commonwealth address earlier this year to speak out against using “valuable law enforcement time, or costly prison space, on laws that don’t enhance public safety.”

“Current law imposes a maximum 30 days in jail for a first offense of marijuana possession,” Northam said in the speech. “Making simple possession a civil penalty will ease overcrowding in our jails and prisons, and free up our law enforcement and court resources for offenses that are a true threat to public safety.”

A bill to decriminalize marijuana fizzled in this year’s legislative session, but polling had already indicated that Virginians are ready for that policy change, too.

The state has considerably expanded its medical marijuana program in recent years, permitting a wider range of full-strength cannabis products to patients.

https://hightimes.com/news/virginia-attorney-general-supports-legalization-of-recreational-cannabis/

It is legal in Virginia but there are no regulations for selling it. So, we don't have dispensaries yet.
It took us over 2 years from recreational cannabis being approved by the voters before dispensaries finally opened. The only time I have gone to one, I bought an eighth ounce and a pre-roll. Cost me $80. I was happy I could buy it legally but, meh, nothing special. I will grow when I need smoke.

It is legal in Virginia but there are no regulations for selling it. So, we don't have dispensaries yet.
There are "pop ups", though. I went to one last week just to see what they were like. Everyone, even/especially the vendors, was getting high. I didn't buy anything, but there were at least 8 vendors with weed for sale from rows of jars sitting on their tables. The combination of hippies and capitalists was surreal.

A recent pop up here in Virginia. I missed it but my friend went and sent me this. Looks like fun. Called “a day in the garden”
‘Yes and that’s a field of cannabis…

There are "pop ups", though. I went to one last week just to see what they were like. Everyone, even/especially the vendors, was getting high. I didn't buy anything, but there were at least 8 vendors with weed for sale from rows of jars sitting on their tables. The combination of hippies and capitalists was surreal.
That is interesting. Maybe one will pop up near me.

Interesting question. Welcome to the forum. Are you growing? If so what. You might want to go to the new members thread and do a brief intro.

Hey there! Thanks for sharing this post. I know it's an old one, but I'm new to this forum and just wanted to add my thoughts. As someone who's interested in the military sector, I wonder how the legalization of cannabis on the federal level will affect things.
In the same way, it affects States. They fk everything up with taxes and regulations.

Latest posts

Back