Was Shakespeare a Stoner? His Grave Could Hold the Answer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Almost 400 years after his death, a literary legend may get drug tested.

A South African anthropologist has requested to open the grave of William Shakespeare to see if he can demystify the cause of the English dramatist's death—as well as determine whether or not marijuana was his muse.

Turns out, there are signs that the man regarded as one of the greatest writers in the English language puffed on pot. That's right: Long before the drug-laced works of Hunter S. Thompson and William S. Burroughs, Shakespeare inhaled before putting pen to paper. Or rather, feather quill to paper.

Francis Thackeray, the director of the Institute for Human Evolution at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, has proposed to dig up Shakespeare's grave—along with the resting places of his family—to see if the skeleton could determine the cause of the bard's death. Hair and keratin from fingernails and toenails could also reveal a pattern of drug use, while a chemical analysis of teeth could expose the use of tobacco or marijuana.

Experts have long speculated whether drugs played a role in Shakespeare's genius; many refer to the mention of a "noted weed" and "a journey in his head"—lines that appear in two different sonnets. For a study released in 2001, Thackeray discovered cannabis residue (along with cocaine) on clay pipe fragments found in Shakespeare's garden. Cannabis sativa, the plant from which marijuana is derived, was available in England during the Elizabethan era to make textiles, rope, paper, clothing and sails.

Thackeray is now waiting for a response from the Church of England for permission to study Shakespeare's remains, but he is likely to meet resistance from the scientific or literary communities, as well as those who may staunchly disagree with the tampering of the grave site.

Another barrier to the project: Shakespeare himself. The stone covering of his grave, located in the Church of the Holy Trinity in Stratford-upon-Avon, bears this warning: “Blessed be the man that spares these stones. And cursed be he who moves my bones.”

Thackeray is aware of the curse, and told Live Science that his research would use a portable technique called laser surface scanning, which would allow him to digitally scan the skeleton without moving it. Plus, the anthropologist noted, the curse “does not refer to teeth.”

hxxp://tinyurl.com/6ynrxau

they will never let him dig up his remains just to determine if he smoked weed, no one cares...."The better part of valor is discretion" (my favorite Shakespeare quote.)

-SSF-

I think this is ridiculous, and disrespectful. Whether or not he smoked pot is irrelevant to his life and the things he did. The man is Long dead, leave his bones to rest. I personally would not allow someone to dig up my ancestors for such a petty reason.

Ya, but what if we crushed the bones and added them to weed and called it "The Raven" or "Oh Gee Raven Crushed" which becomes "OG Raven Kush" :)
Just a thought... puff
To weed, or not to weed...

He's dead, I don't think he'll mind. I say go for it.

Latest posts

Back