Watching the Trichomes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
I made it this far. One of my plants trichomes are milky which is what I want. The hairs on the buds are still not very orange/brown though. The plant is a Lemon Haze. My questions is how much longer will the trichones stay milky while I wait for the hairs to change color?

Thanks, I had been reading that. I don't want to go over that sweet spot I am looking for.

Weedhopper is 100% right about ignoring the hairs and focusing on the trichome heads.

To determine when to harvest, you will want to look at the trichomes on the buds. You are looking at the color of the round head of the trichome. General rule of thumb is to harvest when you have 10% amber, 80% milky and 10% clear trichome heads. After a few harvests, you may find your own preference.

The amber heads are reported to have more of a sedative, body effect. The clear heads have been reported as being more cerebral and energetic high. Either way, you'll want the majority to be milky. These effects can be attributed to the maturation process of cannabinoids within the trichome heads.

Do be sure to check the buds and not the leaves. Trichomes on the leaves will mature faster than the buds, so they aren't the most accurate ripeness indicator you can use. However, they can be a good visual indicator as to when you might need to begin your flush if you choose to do so. Using a jewelers loupe is preferred, but many times you can use the camera on your phone to get a close up and clear picture of your trichome heads.

I have a jewelers loupe. It only magnifies 30x, but I can see the trichomes. I will have to get a stronger one in the future. I had one plant that was like a dwarf and it seemed to have matured so, I harvested it. They were seeds so, I don't know how one of them was like that. The others are coming along. I wish I could get a picture but I don't have a cell phone or anything.

And you could get by with a cheap radioshack scope i still use it it was about 10$ has a built in light that i amplify with my cell phone's light to observe. It is not the most handy but does the job if you don't want to invest more. it has 60-100x magnifier. I found a quick link i am sure you can find it less than 10$ though but have a look at it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091XKXBI?tag=picclick0f-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Zem,,Your post above on Amazon had the same one for the same price. Matter fact im thinking about buying one. Mine is old and wore out.

There will usually be a little variability between the plants, even from seed with the same strain. Shouldn't be a night and day difference though.
I don't know what happened with that plant then. The leaves never got bigger like the other plants and it matured faster. It was pretty strange. I have to try another seed bank next time.

30X is not enough i guess you need 60X+ to see the colors clearly. Try to see some amber trichs before you harvest
I can see them but not good. I have one plant left to take down and I am going to wait a little longer. I am definitely going to buy a better microscope.

I made it this far. One of my plants trichomes are milky which is what I want. The hairs on the buds are still not very orange/brown though. The plant is a Lemon Haze. My questions is how much longer will the trichones stay milky while I wait for the hairs to change color?
I learned something about genetics and trichomes. Two auto flower producers i use trichomes did not turn amber because I kept feeding them after 75+ days. If you're in that window. I advise cut all nutrients now and they'll turn pretty fast

I actually think I hurt my quality by letting the plants go 90 plus days but they just wouldn't amber up. I emailed the growers. Mephisto and RocBudinc and both gave the same story pretty much.

I actually think I hurt my quality by letting the plants go 90 plus days but they just wouldn't amber up. I emailed the growers. Mephisto and RocBudinc and both gave the same story pretty much.
I am on week 9, 63 days. One plant I just took down and I have one to go. I used the sweet and sticky last week. I am not going much further with this plant. I don't want amber trichomes. My plants are lemon haze a sativa dominant strain. If I had an Indica strain maybe I would let them go a little. It is hard to learn one grow at a time but I think experience would be the only thing to decide after you see what kind of buzz you get.

I am on week 9, 63 days. One plant I just took down and I have one to go. I used the sweet and sticky last week. I am not going much further with this plant. I don't want amber trichomes. My plants are lemon haze a sativa dominant strain. If I had an Indica strain maybe I would let them go a little. It is hard to learn one grow at a time but I think experience would be the only thing to decide after you see what kind of buzz you get.
I love me some Sweet and Sticky. I use golden tree and their enzymes as well. I just started using a new nutrient line. RAW NPK and its my favorite out of all I tried. The npk values are off the charts though. 29-61-50 npk. And 100% water soluble. Along with their silica and humic acid. Tribus grow and bloom bacteria house and gardens aminos.

I love me some Sweet and Sticky. I use golden tree and their enzymes as well. I just started using a new nutrient line. RAW NPK and its my favorite out of all I tried. The npk values are off the charts though. 29-61-50 npk. And 100% water soluble. Along with their silica and humic acid. Tribus grow and bloom bacteria house and gardens aminos.

That should be interesting to see your next grow. I did get the Recharge you had suggested too. I tried to get a couple things you listed in one of the threads. I can't buy all of it but if it is something that might help. I am using Fox Farm's nutrients but they lack some things.

Latest posts

Back