Water cool lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skool

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of yall had any experience with water cooling your lights?

I do not see a lot about it on this forum and I figure there is some reason that it is not all that popular.

Any opinions?

Probably because air cooling works so well, and you are not running the risk of leaking water and getting electrified and/or setting a fire.

*It is a great idea though, I have a set of liquid cooled speakers. :D

OGKushman said:
Probably because air cooling works so well, and you are not running the risk of leaking water and getting electrified and/or setting a fire.

*It is a great idea though, I have a set of liquid cooled speakers. :D

:goodposting: :yeahthat: :aok: Water and electricity do not go hand in hand now electricity to water with the backwoods know hows can make fishin real easy ifin yual know what to do without gettin kild.

BWD

It is actually quite expensive. IMO, quite a bit more expensive that cooling with air. First of all the water cooled tube itself is not cheap and then you are going to need a pump and a res and a chiller for the res. Chillers can run considerable money.

I have some. I had it all plumbed overhead and a 1hp chiller to run the whole thing. It always scared me all that water overhead. Idk. I ended up just going w/ a 5 ton frost box and CO2 for a large room rather than having all that moving water and what not. It works. No doubt. Just didnt like leaving it for long periods alone. Now. If you add in a fire suppression system in the room also. No worries.

You could use a large enough co2 system as a fire extinguisher if you plumbed it right, and run a reserve tank just in case you forget to changout the big one. But it all sounds too dangerous to me. My lights used to make a big heat issue until I learned to suck the hot air out, filter, and exhaust it out the grow. Now ambient temps are really not a big deal. Its the res temps I am worried about. If I had to buy and run a chiller, it would run my res and not the lights.:D

Thank you guys for the responses. Sounds a bit complicated for a rookie like myself. I have decided to go with a tent instead of building out a room (for now).

Correct me if i'm wrong also. To me this sounds like actually a really bad idea, given that it's next to impossible to get rid of all the light reactive bacteria in water, wouldn't algae eventually grow due to the heat and light, and eventually dim the lumen output?

even filtered water in a glass tank without any fish or other items in it eventually builds up a grunge. I've seen it with the fish tank i used as a reservoir before getting the 55gal drums

PartyBro420 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong also. To me this sounds like actually a really bad idea, given that it's next to impossible to get rid of all the light reactive bacteria in water, wouldn't algae eventually grow due to the heat and light, and eventually dim the lumen output?

even filtered water in a glass tank without any fish or other items in it eventually builds up a grunge. I've seen it with the fish tank i used as a reservoir before getting the 55gal drums

I have not thought of that. Maybe the chiller kills the bacteria and stuff if its cold enough?

Latest posts

Back