water overflow when watering plants issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IKE

Reaction score
those pot trays only help a little - water still flows out of them

I think grow trays are a rip -- 60 - 90 bucks for a 2'x4' light plastic tray

I can't find any plastic containers - trays - bins that are 2'x4' - yeah, I tried Walmart and Home Depot...

I'm thinking of attaching a tarp around the bottom of my grow box then sand on it (very cheap) (wish they had 2'x4' sponge)
Then i'd put a plastic grill on top (under the plant pots) supported by strips of wood. I know it sounds dumb but I'm not filling a pool. Total cost 20 bucks.

Any ideas or what do you think of my idea?
Someone mentioned cat litter but I don't know about its qualities or effects.

LOL sorry about that.

Well why are you watering so much?

i always water until it drains out the bottom also, but i use big dollar store bowls, the key is to figure out how much water you need to get overflow but not too much, it takes a couple waterings to figure out but you can get it down to about 1-2 cups of overflow, and they will suck that up in an hour or so, anyway thats what i do.

Yeah.....water less. I water till I get some overflow out the bottom and then stop watering...lol

I will water and 15 mins later no runoff.. I go back in a half an hour.. runoff. Seems like I am watering so much in flower too.. Never had to water this much in veg.. Hero I forgot to mention I have these round see thru plastic run off dishs under the pots.. It takes a while but after I water.. half an hour or so.. They are half full and then I have go empty them.. Hero

Plants really suck up the water in the later stages, plus, they're bigger which means more water!

If yu just want to keep something under the pots, yu can get different size, shape, and depth plastic totes from walmart, home depot, lowes, etc. they work real well for that and will protect yu from manual watering spillage

The best thing I've found so far, is one of those oil drip pans for DIY oil changes.

A 5 gallon bucket fits perfectly in it. I think mine were ~$3.50ea at Advanced. Have 3, need some more.

Wet

IKE said:

I can't find any plastic containers - trays - bins that are 2'x4' - yeah, I tried Walmart and Home Depot...

I'm thinking of attaching a tarp around the bottom of my grow box then sand on it (very cheap) (wish they had 2'x4' sponge)
Then i'd put a plastic grill on top (under the plant pots) supported by strips of wood. I know it sounds dumb but I'm not filling a pool. Total cost 20 bucks.

If you use cat litter, use Feline Pine. It's 100 percent natural, it won't hurt the environment, it is very absorbent & it breaks down cuz it's natural. But go with your gut on that one.

IKE said:

I would just recommend getting individual drip trays for each 2 gal container. Or you might want to check out washing machine drip pans or a kids square wading pool. Putting sand on the bottom of your grow room floor is asking for trouble (even with a tarp). I see algae/mold/mildew growing in that moist sand, I see pests loving the warm moist environment, I see the RH in your room rising drastically etc, etc. When runoff is allowed to sit in the individual drip trays, the plant will suck it back up as the pot dries out. This will not happen with the sand, especially since the pots are not going to be sitting on the sand. A sponge would be just as bad.

Latest posts

Back