water treatment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZshwagg

Reaction score
I always read about people talking about PH levels and all that. So, I was at wal-mart checking out the fish when I saw a machine that connects to the aquirium(dont know how to spell that) and cleans the water constantly for solvents and other harmfull bacteria. Could I use that to clean the water I use to water my plant, and not run into trouble with my plants?

Purity of water and correct pH levels for indoor gardens aren't connected.

Correct pH for hydro is 5.5, for soil 6.5.
I have 100% pure water from a spring where I live; taken directly from the stream it's 7.5.

Also, pH can be correct but the water not optimum because it's too "hard" (full of minerals that can cause nutrient imbalance).

Back to the subject of water purification--anything that removes solvents, etc is good.
But you still need to adjust the pH.

azshwagg dont worry you just missed it by a letter (aquarium). here lately ive just been using rain water collected in buckets and adding my organic ferts in it. been spending to much money lately on bottled water .and way to much time worrying about it .

Hey, so this thing you saw that removes impurities was a carbon filter, I'm assuming. Carbon filters will remove excess ammonia etc. from fish tanks, and they really don't do a heck of a lot besides that, and well, aeration, but that's only because the water's moving.

If I'm correct that it was a filter you saw, then it wont do all that much for your H20-- no more than one of those filters that hooks up to your sink. As someone who's had saltwater fish for a long time, I'd be surprised to find anything that would clean your water and adjust your PH in the way you want it to... sorry to say. They do, however make PH raisers and lower-ers for fish tank H20 that they sell in Wal-Mart and other pet stores, but they're not good for your plants.
Stick to purified H2o with nutes, or do rainwater like skunk said. Good luck!

mountain rambler said:
They do, however make PH raisers and lower-ers for fish tank H20 that they sell in Wal-Mart and other pet stores, but they're not good for your plants.
I gotta ask man; why wouldn't they be good for plants if they don't hurt fish?

Stoney (you never have to worry about PH, you got you hydro system to an art form), Those PH ups and downs for the aquariums are full of sodium-something or other can't remember. It can cause salt build up in the soil. the hydro place is really the only way to go with chemical PH balancers. you can use the aquarium stuff but plan on a flush not too long after.

Mutt said:
Stoney (you never have to worry about PH, you got you hydro system to an art form), Those PH ups and downs for the aquariums are full of sodium-something or other can't remember. It can cause salt build up in the soil. the hydro place is really the only way to go with chemical PH balancers. you can use the aquarium stuff but plan on a flush not too long after.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

sorry didn't mean to ignore you there... but yes, Mutt is right... and on many of the bottles it will even say "remove plants from aquarium before use," or something of the sort. I also advocate ditching anything like that 'cuz I think organic is the way to go, but that's just me :)

mountain rambler said:
sorry didn't mean to ignore you there... but yes, Mutt is right... and on many of the bottles it will even say "remove plants from aquarium before use," or something of the sort. I also advocate ditching anything like that 'cuz I think organic is the way to go, but that's just me :)
I've never had fish except in my kitchen. I don't have a clue what they have to have in their water. I never even had a goldfish.

I guess that wouldn't be an issue if you had salt water fish.

Why don't fish have heart attacks from all that salt? Do you figure they ever get tired of seafood?

Fish are what you do if you don't grow-- they're like swimming hydro. Check this level, check that level--- oh god! His fins are turning yellow & curling!!

You're a smart man (not to assume too much, since everyone assumed I was a guy...) fish are as much work as green, with a very VERY low yield. :) thanks for makin' me laugh there!

mountain rambler said:
Fish are what you do if you don't grow-- they're like swimming hydro. Check this level, check that level--- oh god! His fins are turning yellow & curling!!

You're a smart man (not to assume too much, since everyone assumed I was a guy...) fish are as much work as green, with a very VERY low yield. :) thanks for makin' me laugh there!
Ha! I love to laugh. That's what has kept me alive for so long. I was pretty sure that you were a women. Your avatar, screen name, and the phrasing of your words said so. Actually, it doesn't make a bit a difference to me which gender you are. It's what's between your ears that matters.

The fish in my life will remain on my sushi. That's where I like them the most.

Have a great grow and be happy!

Mutt
your thinking of potassium hydroxide KOH and sodium hydroxide NaOH...this raises ph
heres a tidbit Ive been wanting to pass alone... Well water is frequently supersaturated with CO2, which lowers the water's pH. Once the CO2 escapes, the pH will increase. This may be the reason many people have problems with rising ph... and also because the water is very hard, ie lots of calcium and magnesium.... if your really concerned with the water quality... take a sample and spend the $30 or so for an acuurate test...

capegrower said:
Mutt
your thinking of potassium hydroxide KOH and sodium hydroxide NaOH...this raises ph
heres a tidbit Ive been wanting to pass alone... Well water is frequently supersaturated with CO2, which lowers the water's pH. Once the CO2 escapes, the pH will increase. This may be the reason many people have problems with rising ph... and also because the water is very hard, ie lots of calcium and magnesium.... if your really concerned with the water quality... take a sample and spend the $30 or so for an acuurate test...

WoW..Well water..that enlightens me on the problems that I encountered with an "aero-cloner" that I once constructed.

Latest posts

Back