Watering question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sour Deez

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with gallon of pot size to gallon of water ratio? For instance I have 2 gallon pots should I use 1 gallon of water to water them? I just want to get a general idea of how much water to use in each 2 gallon pot. TY

I waters me plants until the water start runnin off or out the bottom then I tests the ph and then I dont water until the pots feel airy and light gain or the top 3 inches of dirt be bone dry. Yual dont want to over water but when its time to water water well. Much luck friend yur trails travelled.

BWD

BackWoodsDrifter said:
I waters me plants until the water start runnin off or out the bottom then I tests the ph and then I dont water until the pots feel airy and light gain or the top 3 inches of dirt be bone dry. Yual dont want to over water but when its time to water water well. Much luck friend yur trails travelled.

BWD
Thanks bro but can you guesstimate pot gallon size to gallons of water used? Because Im using tap water because I dont have RO system but Im gonna let the tap water sit 24 hours with a pump to aerate but I need a general idea of how much water to collect. I have five 2 gallon pots BTW

If they aren't 'bone' dry, it usually works out to about 1/4 of the pot size. Like, 1qt for a gallon pot, 1/2gallon for a 2 gallon and so on.

This is just something I've noticed over time, I really don't measure, but my outside *watering can* is an old Osmocote jug that hold just over 1/2 gallon. I have 1, 2, 4, and 5 gallon pots and 8-5 gallon buckets of water for spot watering. For the whole deal, I use a hose.

Like BWD said, water till you have good run off.

If I let them get too dry, it might take more since I'll come back and hit them again after the medium gets moist. Like a dry mop vs damp mop. The damp mop absorbs water more readily than the dry one.

3 gallons plus 1 'just in case' ought to do you for 5-2gal pots.

Edit: A 5 gallon Homer bucket+airstone would be perfect.

Wet

Yual in good hands with Wet! Run with the education given be good advice. Much luck trail travelled friend.

BWD

I have 1 gallon pots im running right now. Takes exactly 3 cups before i see any run-off. Im guessing a qrt and a half when your pots are close to bone dry.

its really not how much but how often imo. just dont over do it, i use what it takes but i also let them dry out good if that makes any sense

Agreed. Water until you see run-off from the bottom A(im guessing 1 1/2 quarts) then dont water again tell they are almost bone dry

It's hard to tell when you first start out judging the weight of to pot and how much water is left for the plant....... but keep lifting your pots and you will soon learn when to water and when not to by the weight of the pot. it works for DWC buckets also....... for me anyway.

Latest posts

Back