Watering schedule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks! I do have one more question that I don't seem to be able to get an accurate answer for, if there is one. It may not make a difference, but I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb for watering times. Is it better to water just as the lights come on, or closer to when they go off, or does it matter, just as long as they're watered? I haven't read anything pertaining to this, so I was just wondering!

tanks!1

I've read water when the lights come on because light on is when there is the most growth.

or like me...water anytime they ask..My lights on 24/7....be sure soil is bone dry..

Most gardeners(flower) water in the morning so the plant is dry at lights out to prevent fungus, ie powdery mildew. I don't water at night, but if humidity isn't a problem, maybe it isn't that big of deal.
Good luck CL.

let me ask a question please.....

Does it only RAin in morning?..

niteshft said:
I've read water when the lights come on because light on is when there is the most growth.

This is what I was thinking, but I have been watering only when they need it, which comes at different times of the day! I assumed the plants are 'sleeping' when the lights are off, so this would make sense!

tanks!

I doubt they're sleeping, I believe I see more bud formation at night than day....I could be way off though, just my perception!

4u2sm0ke said:
let me ask a question please.....

Does it only RAin in morning?..

Ya know, I'm not sure! I imagine there are some places in this world that only get rain in the am...maybe in desert areas when it's too hot and dry to rain....:confused2:

thanks for the thought though!!

4u2sm0ke said:
or like me...water anytime they ask..My lights on 24/7....be sure soil is bone dry..

24-7 huh? Does this speed things up?? Have you figured out what that schedule does to your electric bill? I'm all for faster, even though I'm a pretty patient person. Don't the plants need to 'rest'?

You water your plant when it needs it. My lights are on 24/7 like 4u2smoke. I dont turn them off. When my pots feel light enough then I water.

Watering at lights on to lower humidity I dont see making much of a difference in an indoor grow as the pots do not dry out in a day, only about the 1st inch if that.

craterlake said:
24-7 huh? Does this speed things up?? Have you figured out what that schedule does to your electric bill? I'm all for faster, even though I'm a pretty patient person. Don't the plants need to 'rest'?

That depends if you grow autos, if your plants are in veg stage. Plants in flower need lights out, in veg they dont and autos dont all the way through the grow. You wont speed anything up with longer hours of light, just get more growth.

Jericho said:
That depends if you grow autos, if your plants are in veg stage. Plants in flower need lights out, in veg they dont and autos dont all the way through the grow. You wont speed anything up with longer hours of light, just get more growth.

More growth as far as height or bud formation?

Well, Lets say we work it a standard strain that needs 24/7 light in veg and 12/12 in flower.

24/7 light in veg will cause less stretch to the plant but increase its bushyness, keeping lights close also will reduce stretch in veg. Will have more bud sites on it as well than a plant vegged in less light.

Then when you switch to flower you cannot vary the light, it has to remain on 12/12 or you risk stressing the plant.

More budsites in veg mean more bud in flower.

For the best density in bud formation (= better bud formation) you want light higher intensity and penetration like a HID light. Keeping it close keeps the intensity of the light high.

Hope that helps answer some questions.:48:

Jericho said:
Well, Lets say we work it a standard strain that needs 24/7 light in veg and 12/12 in flower.

24/7 light in veg will cause less stretch to the plant but increase its bushyness, keeping lights close also will reduce stretch in veg. Will have more bud sites on it as well than a plant vegged in less light.

Then when you switch to flower you cannot vary the light, it has to remain on 12/12 or you risk stressing the plant.

For the best density in bud formation (= better bud formation) you want light higher intensity and penetration like a HID light. Keeping it close keeps the intensity of the light high.

Hope that helps answer some questions.:48:

It sure did. Thanks! I have two 400 HPS lights and have them as close as I can without burning the plants. I was told to place my hand over the plant and if it doesn't burn me, it won't burn the plants, which makes sense to me. But I am currently seeing a few yellow spots on a few leaves and was told that it may be too much heat. I was also just in there and it is smelling a little musty in there. I have good ventilation and I don't water until they are bone (or close to it) dry. I don't understand this sudden musty odor. There is no mold or mildew anywhere and the dirt in the buckets looks clean. I will have to investigate further.

thanks for the info Jericho!!

I have that same smell in my room. It just has to be the plants themselves. I have a hurricane going on in there and still has that faint musty. My plants are at the last weeks so I thought it was the degradation of the fan leaves.

Sounds like your doing everything right CL.

Yeh, like Rose said it probably just the plants, I think some strains have a musty smell. My MI5 smells a little musty and like rose my ventilation is crazy and in last week of flower. So might just be a common smell.

Rosebud said:
I have that same smell in my room. It just has to be the plants themselves. I have a hurricane going on in there and still has that faint musty. My plants are at the last weeks so I thought it was the degradation of the fan leaves.

Sounds like your doing everything right CL.

I hope so!! This smell just started today, and I am in my 6th week of flowering so maybe that's just part of the program!

tanks!

weeek 6 of bloom...I would say something should be smelling

:yeahthat:

Latest posts

Back