Watering with Molasses or Cane Sugar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewayne

IS BAKED
Reaction score
So i've been reading up on some different techniques and a large technique i've seen is using Molasses to water your plants to increase the ammount or types of terpenes. I've even heard of some people using like rock candy the pure cane sugar, and brown sugar. I was really curious with someone with experience in this.

I've heard Blackstrap Molasses is the best to use because it has more microbes. Was also wondering, i've seen a Micro bloom or Micro nute something before from Floura Nova for hydroponics. Do you think they make one for soil?

Any information or guidelines of what you should and should not use would be helpful.

I have a really nice plant and i'm trying to keep it coming, the only problem is it didn't have a strong Smell or Taste which is common but i want to try and induce it to smell if nothing else!

I've heard good things about molasses as well and will be using it shortly.

I got a good laugh the other day when a friend wrote me telling me about sme guys using grape juice, I was a bit skeptical since grape juice would surely have acids which I am assuming wouldn't be all that good? Well, I waited for the info he promised, the feedback from his friend...and wasn't overly surprised when I was told this wasn't the best plan as his plants were adversely affected as was his yield.

When asked what "dosage" was given from the grape juice, I was told the mix was one concentrated can per gallon...OUCH!

I am currently useing molasis in my flower stage, some people say use it in the last two weeks of flower and some say in the whole flower process.
I am trying it in the whole flower process, my next gro i will use it in the last two weeks.

Exactly whats in it that the plants like im not sure, Im currently researching molasis in the bud stage both by theory and practical, my mixture is 1ml per ltr of water on top of my ferts and the plants are not complaining as of yet.

EDIT: Damn wish i had of read the link posted in ozzydiodude's post befor i posted awsome info

was wondering if this is good for hydro growing as well? pretty much ,that site talked about soil growing, it never really said anything about hydro. anybody using molasses in a hydro setup?

From what I understand, the molasses feeds the microbes in the soil and that is where the benefits come from. The microbes feed off the soil and add nutrients that the plants feed on. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone will correct me.

Molasses in hydro is NOT a good idea. At the least, it will gunk up the equipment.

They make sugars for hydro use.

DD

Droopy Dog said:
Molasses in hydro is NOT a good idea.
DD

It *IS* however, just about awesome on pancakes! :D :hubba:

(I resisted, resisted and resisted but couldn't help myself!)

StoneyBud said:
It *IS* however, just about awesome on pancakes! :D :hubba:

(I resisted, resisted and resisted but couldn't help myself!)

LOL Yes it is, but I was so far south, I grew up with sugarcane syrup.:holysheep:

Next to impossible to find pure cane syrup if you aren't really close to the cane fields in Fl or La.

DD

In hydroponics i believe they have a "micro-bloom" from floranova and it's pretty much the same thing, to increase density, taste and aroma. I know they make other things for soil too, but i'd rather find something close by I order offline as little as possible.

So from what i've researched blackstrap molasses is the best to use. compared to nutes claiming to do the same made for MJ I don't know, but i've been using it for a little over a week and it seems to have improved aroma.

Thanks for alll your coments.

Black strap is the best for feeding soil grows with, almost any brand of molasses will work as long as it is unsulfured. There are some other things like "sweet" for example... personally, I will stick to molasses. The sweet stuff affected the flavor of the final product more than I care for, but supposedly they have a new one that is unflavored...?? Don't know if or how well it works, but I won't be trying it to find out.

One thing to know about molasses, it doesnt actually get broken down by the plants themselves. It is broken down by micro organisms that live in healthy soil. I personally like the Mykos from Extreme Gardening, and the Mykos loves the molasses.

You can in fact use sugars in a hydro set up, I use a dilution of 1 part raw sugar to 3 parts RO water. I also run the Mykos in my dwc set up and root growth is literally insane. That dilution should be applied the same way as molasses... Remember less is more, and start it slowly. But then again, I root locked some 5 gallon buckets last year in 3 weeks. Anyways, I have gotten so far off topic its silly and I am rambling.

Best of luck to you either way!! Smoke big and be safe! Cali :fly:

theres molasses made for plants, you can find it at most grow shops/home improvement stores.

That is true, but why pay the extra money for it?? The chemical break down is almost identical to the good ol' and much cheaper Black strap or unsulfured molasses that you can get at any grocery market any where.

Not saying I am anti grow shop, just saying... Sometimes the name and fancy label isn't worth the extra $10 dollars.

Smoke big and be safe!! Cali :fly:

I asked about the molasses when I was checking on cal/mag additives, the cal/mag in molasses is really high and I wondered if this would do the trick on a cal/mag shortage. Of course, the shop guy said that the cal/mag additive had stuff that the molasses doesn't (trace elements) as he told me he has no clue on molasses since he uses only the hydro stuff.

I assume he was being the good salesman, but wonder still whether the cal/mag shortage could be fixed solely with molasses (6% cal/mag per serving).

Hmmmm, now I am wondering... I had an awesome link to the full break down of unsulfured molasses. Time to go searching...lmao

check your feed stores as its used as a treat/suppliment for livestock. i get 5g bucket blackstrap $25. its very high in cal & iron, w/ much more

I use water and molasses only from start to finish. Nothing else.........

I am looking to buy some BSM but being in the UK, the only place I can get it locally is in a health food store in capsule form.
My question is, will the capsules work?
I assume it would be a case of mixing with hot water to make a tea, then adding to the hydro setup.
A little expert guidance would be appreciated here.
Thanks
Woody

Latest posts

Back