Watering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halftoke

Reaction score
Hi All;

I'm doing an indoor soil grow ([thread=2667]pics an stuff here[/thread]) and used [thread=2403]Mutts method[/thread] of setting up a soil bucket.

My question is should I continue watering from the top? Or is it better to put my water & nutes in the pan and let it wick up?

TIA,

I usually grow hydroponically but when I do grow in soil, i like to water from the top as I find this helps leach out any salt build up and I can test the ph, of the run off. I am not saying that is totally correct but it works for me.
Maybe someone that grows in soil all the time can give you a better answer. Good luck

I think you are better watering from the top and any excess running through can then be left as a reservior to soak up :)

what ive been doing and its workin ok so far (fingers crossed)

so far that's what I've been doing. Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with that :)

halftoke said:
Hi All;

I'm doing an indoor soil grow ([thread=2667]pics an stuff here[/thread]) and used [thread=2403]Mutts method[/thread] of setting up a soil bucket.

My question is should I continue watering from the top? Or is it better to put my water & nutes in the pan and let it wick up?

TIA,
Hi Halftoke

I have been growing in soil now, for about a year and a half, and I agree with Massproducer, top-down feeding with soil is the ideal way
just as a NOTE of caution: do not mix the way you water the babes (I.E. top-down then bottom-up) - for this holds bad Chems. and salts within the soil, knackering your precious load.

Wow, someone liked my thread. but yes everyone here is correct IMO. top down is the best way. I never much like the idea of standing water in my grow area anyway always attracted pests on top of the buildups that occur. Also that bucket I showed cannot wic water up unless you put wics in it. the river rocks are meant for drainage not uptake of water.

Latest posts

Back