Watering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a big patch of 10-15 foot trees behind my house owned by a logging company and I found a few really good growing spots up there, but I don't want to go and water the plants very often in fear of getting seen. The roads are closed up there, but people could still walk in. I thought that I could put each of my plants in a bucket and burry the bucket in the ground. That way it would take a lot longer for the water to dry up. I was wondering if the plants got too much water or because the water could not drain out of the bucket if it would hurt the plant at all. Does anyone have any advice?

It is highly likely they would oversaturate...and make for a funky stew once the muck in the buckets is deprived of O2.

I'd sooner plant on Uncle Sam land before a spot belonging to a business.
I'm not suggesting you not risk it being discovered on a place's private land. Just saying I wouldn't.

Thanks, I think I will probably just put small holes in the bottom of the bucket so that water is allowed to drain out, but will still keep the soil moist for an extended period. Does anyone have a good methods of keeping the plants watered, while not going and physiaclly watering them very often?

Hi. Can't say I'm super clued-up on this subject as I'm only on my first grow. However, I mixed polymer crystals in the soil that apparently retain up to 400 times their own weight in water. I'm certain that this enables me to leave the site for longer than normal.

Or course, I don't know if this can cause any other probs, but my girl is nice and healthy at the mo. Maybe some of the more experienced growers could comment on whether it's a good idea to use them....

Good luck! :)

FBJ...the polymer crystals work well, just mix them at the recommended ratio and don't overwater. You "have" to have drainage(holes) for the buckets, if you insist on useing them. My advice would be to dig holes amd ammend with a quality soil mix and forget the buckets. Buckets will only serve to restrict the rootzone, makeing for more frequent watering.

The only reason I was going to use buckets is so the water wouldn't spread too far in the soil where the roots aren't and so it wouldn't dry up as fast. But if these polymer crystals work as good as people are saying, I don't think I need to worry about buckets. Does anyone know how long they last and once they've soaked up water and drained the water, if they'll work again?

Latest posts

Back