way premature flowering - need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anastasia

Reaction score
~~~~~

okay, hi, first time posting here. I have a question/problem. I started some seeds kind of late, mid-July, and only started getting plants in the ground in the past week - two weeks. So I know I'm late and I'm just hoping for the best.

My problem is this: a number of these plants (and there aren't that many) seem to be not just prematurely flowering, but budding as if they were at full maturity and not just seedlings. I'm no expert on this, but I've never seen it before.

Is there anything I can do? Should I do anything? I'd hate to think that these plants are lost, I have so few. Any thoughts, advice, ideas, I'll appreciate.

Thanks a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What kind of seeds are they? Are they auto ?
At what latitude are you ?
How do you know they are flowering ?Are you sure ?
Pics ?

What kind of seeds are they? Are they auto ?

Just seeds I've saved over time -- I really don't know what they are, sorry :(

At what latitude are you ?

41 degrees N

Pics ?

hope these help.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have deleted your pics. There are dangers with posting grow pics on sites like Photobucket. We ask that pics be posted directly here.

sorry about posting pics wrong. is there a way to just upload them without messing with having to start an account with this picasa?

plus, while you're here; any thoughts on my problem?

I use Paint to resize my pictures. It is incredibly easy to use and comes already on all PCs.

There is nothing you can do now. You should probably be happy that they are starting to flower. Most strains take 8-10 weeks to flower--do you get frost? When?

They could also be seeds from autos and this would be perfectly normal growth. That is part of the problems starting with bagseed--you never know what you are growing. It could be hermie genetics, it could be seeds germinated with feral hemp, it could be better than the bag it came from, it could be worse than the bag it came from...you just never know.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Gee, it sounds like there's nothing I can do. I was thinking maybe there was a way of returning it to vegetative growth so it could get big before flowering.

I guess once it starts, that's it huh? :confused2:

For what it's worth, here are the pics I took today, I'm hoping I figured out how to upload them properly.

I mean, they're just baybees! It's too early for them to grow up... :(

edit: what are "autos" btw?

Yeah, I also know that planting seeds from a bag is a crap shoot. My basic thinking was "any yield is a good yield", considering I got started so late. I just never realized that plants could start flowering while they were still just seedlings.

Can I expect any kind of appreciable yield at all, or do I have to write these off?

m08.png

m05.png

m06.png

m07.png

Yep you are WAY late. Latest I'll sprout a seed is the last week of june. Let er veg through July by 1-2 weeks of august it's starts flowering. (which gives it at least a month of veg growth).
Try to keep em in full sun from sunset to sunrise without any shade. but OD once they go...not much to stop em this late in the game.

From their small size and early flowering, I would not be one bit surprised if you have auto seeds there. It is curious that they stretched so much though.

Autos are plants that have been crossed with ruderalis and do not need a specific light schedule to flower. They live x number of weeks, generally going from seed to harvest in 10-12 weeks or so. They are smaller plants and generally do not produce as much or as high a quality as regular photo period plants.

I put out seeds one year late like you. I ended up with one nice bud on each plant. They will finish tho, if you keep them in the sunshine as much as possible.

Good luck to you.

And, welcome to MP.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, thanks a lot for the answers. I had to look up Ruderalis; I'd never heard of it. I guess it's what we used to call Ditch Weed back in the day.

I still have a few seedlings in pots, and not all of them have started flowering. Do you think I should just transplant them into big pots and take them inside? I do have one grow light; a 5K volt unit with a 400 watt halogen bulb. I've used it a few times with middling success; like I said, I haven't done this much.

In fact, I've only attempted growing outdoors three times. The third time all I got were dwarfish things that now I assume were autos. The second one was better but it got ripped off before it was totally harvested.

It was my first crop that I suppose hit me with astounding beginner's luck. I'd planted a dozen seedlings in the ground in a small plot, and wound up with five or six females and a Herm. Those plants grew to about ten feet high and I didn't even start harvesting till November. It must have been a very warm Autumn. I finally cut the top colas on Thanksgiving that year. Yes, no lie. It was beautiful pale green bud sparkling with crystal. I think it really spoiled me. It was too easy too soon.

Well, I've learned me lesson. :eek:

Latest posts

Back