week old babe slightly yellowig on body and tips, not nute def., help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrow22

Reaction score
Hey guys,
im growing some bubblegum and blueberry seeds. One of my plants is starting to slightly yellow on the bodies and tips spread evenly throughout the leaves. I thought it could be a nutrient deficiency, but these have only been in the soil for a week and fox farm is good for 3 at least, so it can't be that. They are under a 250 w hps, the light is about 2 feet away from the plant. good ventilation in the room with a fan on the plants. They are in foxfarm with a ph around 6.2. havent introduced nutes. the temp of the room is around 75 80, with low humidity around 30%.I water around every 2 days, they are in small cups with real good drainage, so it dries quickly. I thought it could be overwatering but they get completely dry after a day and i just water when needed... but maybe it is overwatering, but im not sure. No bugs, i know that. NO drooping in the leaves, and growth seems normal. Anybody know what could be wrong with my babies?

plant 1.jpg

plant2.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the sick babies would ya? It's alot easier to diagnose with a picture.

A picture would be helpful. What color are the first set of unseratted leaves? if they have yellowed, its time to feed.

I water around every 2 days, they are in small cups with real good drainage, so it dries quickly.

I find no matter what soil I use, if Im watering every 2 days, I need to feed every other watering. Fox Farms soil may provide enough to sustain for 3 weeks, but I'll bet they arent referin to a solo cup either.

A transplant also sounds in order. Watering every 2 days means that most all of your available soil is being used. Leaving them in that for to long with out a transplant will stunt growth, even with added nutrients.

I pretty sure i don't need to transplant yet, the plant is barely 3 inches high... As for nute deficiency, it could be that...but i would be surprised if the soil drained that fast. Should i already introduce some nutes and see what happens when i do? I got some pictures up to help you diagnose my babies...

Are you sure you have to water every 2 days? Have you given a good watering and totally saturated the soil? Just pourin a bit in the cup isnt exactly watering, its splashing them.

If you have to water every 2 days, its transplant time....

given the interveniel chlorosis, I'd say add a teaspoon of epsom salts to your next watering (Mg deficiency), no nutes. If they dont show improvement by the time they need another watering add 1/4 stregnth nutrients.
Thats my .02

Yes, i do water thoroughly, and i also wait until its dry about 2 inches down, i make sure i feel no moisture when i stick my finger in the soil... and when i water, water comes out of the holes so i know i am saturating the soil... but it can't be transplant time yet, they are only 3 inches high and 1 week in....maybe so but i dont think so... but thanks for the input, im gonna wait till what brother grimm has to say before i take any action!:confused: the unseratted leaves are yellow, do yo u think i need to feed?

so, i gave her some nutes this morning, and she doesn't look any better. I dont know whats wrong with her :mad:, what does everyone think? The humidity is low, i live in colorado and its around 15 20 %. btw anyone know what is an optimal humidity?... but i really don't think that is the reason its sick... I could be overwatering... my watering schedule since its been young has been water in the morning of a day, next day dont water, then water the next day after that, so what do you guys think. If not overwatering, What else could it be!? i hate seeing my plant sick and not knowing how to diagnose it :(

joegrow22 said:
so, i gave her some nutes this morning, and she doesn't look any better. I dont know whats wrong with her :mad:, what does everyone think? The humidity is low, i live in colorado and its around 15 20 %. btw anyone know what is an optimal humidity?... but i really don't think that is the reason its sick... I could be overwatering... my watering schedule since its been young has been water in the morning of a day, next day dont water, then water the next day after that, so what do you guys think. If not overwatering, What else could it be!? i hate seeing my plant sick and not knowing how to diagnose it :(
Whats up joegrow22. I think the optimal humidity is like 50%. Someone please jump in if i'm wrong. With all the bongs i do it's hard to find that file in my brain sometimes. :D IMHO you should only have to water your plants every 3 or 4 days. You are watering every other day which IMHO is to often. Like justawannabe said your babies may be in need of a transplant. As of today how old are your babies?

as of today, they are 1 week 2 days old, i just didn't think i would need to transplant until the plant got at least 6 to 10 inches....btw, its starting to get brown spots on the leaves, so its getting worse :( maybe i should transplant and see what happens....also, the new leaves are green and aren't yellowing, so i don't know if that will you guys diagnose my babes...

joegrow22 said:
with a ph around 6.2.

I'd check your water PH prior to watering. If Its 6.2 your getting a lockout. I would not add ferts. as this is a PH problem. Below is the chart showing "optimum" PH level. You'll notice in soil anything below 6.4 locks out 3 nutreints.
I say check the tap water as it may need to be adjusted or store bought water may have to be used.
As far as humidity. I rarely have any higher the 35%. most of the time its 30%. and I have no problems.

Nutrient_Chart_soill_and_hydro.JPG

thanks mutt for the advice,
my tap water has pH of 6.9 so i don't think its the tap water thats doing it, but my soil ph is around 6.0 to 6.2, should i try to raise it, and if so, what would be a good agent for increasing ph?

so i transplanted the plants 2 days ago. The plant isn't looking any better :(, and its getting more brown spots. That could be due to the shock of the transplant, but what could it be!?!? If it was overwatering earlier on, can that be repaired? I only overwatered for like a week or so. Does anyone know *** could be going on with my plant :confused:. I introduced nutes once, that didnt help, then i transplanted, maybe i should give it a couple more days to see if that will help but i haven't been watering nearly as much. I gave them some "sweet" organic carboyhydrate synthesizer which is like giving it some epsom salt and other trace minerals when i transplanted... tempt ranges from 80 to 90, humididty is around 22 %. 24/0 lighting under a 400 watt mh. proper ventilation, in ocean forest... i just dont understand!!! im going crazy watching my babe slowly dying and not knowing whats wrong. Im doing everything right now. Could overwatering damage it its whole life? Also, i don't think a 400w mh would be too much light for this but i dunno, maybe the strand is sensitive...? Also, the whole plant seems to be turning a lighter green, what would be the cause of this, it is yellowing on the end, getting brown spots on the leaves and turning light green. I just don't think its a nute def, because ive given her nutes and shes in high concentration soil. Would overwatering do this?

sicpic1.jpg

sicpic2.jpg

Do you live in an area where they put chlorine in the water? Sorta looks like a chlorine burn to me. I've seen similar on house plants

No, i live in a place where we have some of the cleanest tap water around. Plus, i leave my water out for a couple of days before i water just in case so it probably isn't chlorine burn. New pics are on my new post, does this look like a ph Problem..

Latest posts

Back