weird...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spook313

Reaction score
this looks wrong... instead of two branches, i have three on this plant. i don't really know how to describe this, so here's some pictures...

mutant003.jpg

mutant002.jpg

mutant004.jpg

is this normal? i'm not worried about it, but i'm just curious.

not really but i dont know i heard of plants with 3 leaves ,maybe the strain or deformed seeding ,i dont know,hick should be able to help you

google "whorled phyllotaxy"
I've seen a few. All that I experienced were male.

gqone, i've actually got 3 our of 5 plants with three leaves. i've got a thread about it here.

and thanks, hick. i'm looking it up right now.

from some dea website:

"[...] The plants seized in Thunder Bay were atypical in appearance, however, having twig like stalks and broad, rounded leaves, which led to reports of the discovery of a new strain of cannabis. What may be more likely in both of these seizures is that it is an unintentional occurrence of whorled phyllotaxy. In botany, leaf phyllotaxy describes how leaves are arranged on a stem and in relation to one another. Whorled phyllotaxy means three or more leaves at one node of a stem. Information gained through online canvassing reveals that this may be a somewhat common occurrence when growing cannabis. The limited information also suggests that whorled phyllotaxy occurred in plants cultivated from clones of normal plants, and many incidents involved indica varieties, which typically have broader leaves than sativa varieties. Whether whorled phyllotaxy has an effect on plant yield or potency is uncertain. Some growers hopefully suggest that the THC levels of such plants will be higher, while others report that this leaf arrangement previously manifested in plants found to be inferior or male (no buds). The plants seized in Thunder Bay had not yet developed buds and tested at only 1.8 to 2.6 percent THC."

my plants aren't clones. each one is from a seed. and it sounds like this plant is a male. :mad: this confuses me because it has female preflowers. if anyone knows any more about this, please let me know.

hey spook..I have "heard" whorled females, but never have encountered one myself. All of my whorled phyllo's were from seeds. I never cloned one, nor had a clone turn into one.
What I recall from my inquireies when I was running into them, the females were rumored to yeild quite heavily. I don't recall anything being said about a drastic potency difference.

Latest posts

Back