welcome to Growers 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
Welcome growers to The Marijuana Passion. :welcome:
If you are new to growing Marijuana or just starting your grow, or are just thinking about it, and you are looking for help with anything from the basics of growing Marijuana to finding places to get the materials needed, this is the thread for you.

Here at "The Passion" you will find many seasoned and experienced growers who are quite passionate about every aspect of growing, harvesting, curing, and consuming Marijuana. While many of these good people are quite willing to help a new grower (noob), we realize that too many opinions and/or too much information can become overwhelming to a "noob". We recognize that asking questions when you feel like you know so little can be quite intimidating. We don't want this to be a place that intimidates new growers into not asking what may seem like a "dumb" question but is really very important to the person who just doesn't know the answer, or doesn't quite grasp certain aspects of what we believe is an "art of growing" this wonderful plant.

The mission of this thread then is to serve those of you who have wandered around the site for a while, or have just found this forum and are trying to learn as much as you can but are afraid to ask. If you have been ridiculed or brushed off by others who didn't have time or patience to explain things to you then this is the thread for you. The montra for this thread is: The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.
So on behalf of the staff and members here, I welcome you and ask you to take some time and read the information we have listed for you. This information will not (can not) be a comprehensive library of "Marijuana growing", but we will try to give you as much of a solid framework to build upon that we can without actually writing a book. I am sure that you will find that the more you learn, the more questions you will have to ask. This thread will allow you to do just that, ask and learn without feeling embarrassed for not knowing. Remember that we were all "noobs" once. :)
Hushpuppy :farm: :icon_smile:

today is 6/13. just ordered seeds. is it too late to plant outdoors for this season? how long will seeds be good for if not? live in CT

Sorry to not get back to you sooner. It isn't too late at all. You may not get as much height or yield depending on the strain, but it probably will not matter much at all.
Seeds that are kept in dark, dry, and cool places should last for a year without any degradation. Iff you need to keep them longer then you would have to seal them in airtight container where they will not entirely dry out but not get any more moisture, and then cool and dark. Stored this way should keep them for several years. :)

I think that would be ok if there isn't an early frost. Like you say, they may not be real big but depending on where you are, you may not want them to get real big being outdoors.

I for one have never and will never come across in a derogatory manner towards any member especially new, Although I've seen it happen many times in the past. Unless of course A new member comes across very disrespectful or cocky when in reality were very naive.. no room to help stubborn naive people who are unwilling to take constructive criticism (I know as I use to be cocky as hell when I first came here and boy did I learn fast that I was very wrong and made myself look like a douchey idiot.) But time has passed since then, and I feel because of me being there and now seeing different perspectives I can therefore better understand noob questions and have always been patient with them even when most of the questions asked can be found by simply typing a quick sentence in Google. It's always good to share and spread confidence to a new grower. I for one will contribute as much as I can to any grower asking ;)

yeah if he isnt worried about size and yield id say do it but i started min 2 months ago the time is about to change and start getting less and less light if it was me id get them in the ground asap in Ct i think the season is way shorter then mine but idk id say get some quick flowering time strains forsure

I for one have never and will never come across in a derogatory manner towards any member especially new, Although I've seen it happen many times in the past. Unless of course A new member comes across very disrespectful or cocky when in reality were very naive.. no room to help stubborn naive people who are unwilling to take constructive criticism (I know as I use to be cocky as hell when I first came here and boy did I learn fast that I was very wrong and made myself look like a douchey idiot.) But time has passed since then, and I feel because of me being there and now seeing different perspectives I can therefore better understand noob questions and have always been patient with them even when most of the questions asked can be found by simply typing a quick sentence in Google. It's always good to share and spread confidence to a new grower. I for one will contribute as much as I can to any grower asking ;)
Thank you for that :) I, like you understand how it is to be new and unsure of what I was doing. I still have questions sometimes, and having someone willing to not just unload info but explain it so that it is fully understood is so much more help. :)

We have the one thread that is a good "101" full of good information but I am in the process of doing a basics for growing MJ myself. I hope to get it up soon. :)

See after 5 years Even I have noob questions!!!
I was doing a lot of research on areoponics lately, as I plan on adding a DIY set up along with my hydro drip system (Diff rooms). I've had 5 successful harvests 3 hydro 2 soil, and felt it time to upgrade to something a bit more demanding ;) I understand how to make the mister systems and to construct the room to the desired dimensions and what not. However, I wanted to see if there are any Tutorials out there for how to maintain your aeroponics garden? For example, Questions such as when they get bigger and get into flowering, do I just allow the roots to eventually over crowd and engulf the bottom of the reservoir while the middle to top is exposed being misted? Certain things im still unsure about on how to exactly maintain Aeroponics, and unfortunetly I havn't found any tutorial videos or anything of that nature... The only thing I can find over and over is how to build your own Aeroponics system, which I understand that hands down... however, the process in which you grow it is completely different.. I was hoping maybe I could get the help of a fellow Aeroponics grower to ask my noob questions to? Or a link to where I can find or watch some tutorials? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any tutorials right off that would be helpful. I think the reason there is so little on maintaining the Aeroponics system is because those who use it don't stay with it to really learn all the ins and outs of it. I would say the best way to think of it in terms of maintenance is to look at it like a variation on DWC. Pretty much everything would apply from DWC to Aeroponics. The only difference is that you will be pumping water to spray onto the roots rather than pumping air to splash onto the roots.

You would still have to have the air pump keeping the water aerated with outside/oxygenated air as the sprayers themselves will not bring oxygen into the system. They would only capture the oxygen that is present in the air within the system.

The biggest problems that occur with the Aeroponics is sprayer clogging, and water temps rising. Allowing the roots to dangle and tangle will not be an issue unless you have males get into the mix. Where you may run into trouble is with size off plants and hydro tanks. If you have a 40gal tote, which is pretty big, can easily hold 3-6 plants in DWC setup, you will need 2-3-4 individual sprayer heads (each with multiple spray nozzles) so that when the root mass gets bigger, all of the root masses will get sufficiently sprayed. If one gets blocked or stopped up where one plant isn't getting sufficiently sprayed, you may have that plant falter or not grow and produce as well as the others.

Once the plants get bigger, raising them up to check sprayer heads for blockages will get difficult at best, and impossible if done under scrog. You would have to keep them fairly small to account for this, or have fewer plants per individual hydro tank. Also having multiple plants in a single tank that get bigger can cause the tops to collapse under the weight (I know this one first hand).

I am sorry to sound so negative but I am just trying to think of issues that you will need to plan for so that you don't get stuck with them 6 weeks into flower.

HM... You know, I never messed with DWC, I figured since they are almost the same... Why not go for the best? Maybe I should rethink about going to DWC?? However, im still curious, as you mentioned, checking if the sprayers are clogged. That I feel was the only problem I would have as I hear that over and over. I was curious, like you mentioned, how it gets hard when thye get bigger to check the spray nozzles... I was planning on doing a bunch of little ones. for example, in a 20 Gal tote, I was gonna put 10-20 plants from cuttings and veg them for onnly a few weeks, then instantly flower. Im looking to get around 7-10 grams per plant. Small yet a large quantity of plants. Will in turn bassically be the same yield as if I grew just a few for a longer veg in my opinion. Either way this is what im going to try, so I feel lifting them to inspect sprayers wouldnt be to big a problem, or if I had to replace some nozzles.

on a side note, im curious, with DWC it'd be (for example) a 20 gallon tote with a couple airestones at the bottom with water filled all the way to the top to where the cups lay in? to where the water touches just the bottom of the cup where the plant is in full of hydroton? And do you continue to keep it at the level as the roots get longer? Or do you only feel up to where just the bottom is submerged? Ah sorry, so many curious questions.

Hi EsC420PoT,

I know this thread is really old, but I wanted to thank you for being so understanding.

EmilyFox

Hey.. I think I'm going to single handedly revive this thread. lol I've been lurking hear at MP for years and I've finally gotten things going. I've got the closet set up and, I think I have all the bases covered. I soaked my seeds on the 22nd and the next day placed them in paper towels to germ. By the 24th all of the seeds seemed to have cracked with tap roots showing in 3 of the 4 strains. Barneys lsd had the longest with og18 and dp ww showing short roots while the Joey Weed's c99(super old) were cracked under magnifying glass but, no tap root. I planted all in 70/30 coco/perlite under cfls. Both lsd and one each of the 2 og and ww have sprouted. None of the 3 c99 have. The question is how long before you give up on seeds that haven't sprouted?

btw.. they were in the paper towels for two days and planted on the 25th.

Hey.. I think I'm going to single handedly revive this thread. lol I've been lurking hear at MP for years and I've finally gotten things going. I've got the closet set up and, I think I have all the bases covered. I soaked my seeds on the 22nd and the next day placed them in paper towels to germ. By the 24th all of the seeds seemed to have cracked with tap roots showing in 3 of the 4 strains. Barneys lsd had the longest with og18 and dp ww showing short roots while the Joey Weed's c99(super old) were cracked under magnifying glass but, no tap root. I planted all in 70/30 coco/perlite under cfls. Both lsd and one each of the 2 og and ww have sprouted. None of the 3 c99 have. The question is how long before you give up on seeds that haven't sprouted?

I would let'em go for 10-14 days before giving up. Especially with those seeds. Those are exceptionally rare seeds these days. I would even try mixing a tiny bit of a rooting hormone in to their water to help give'em a boost.

Thanks AMonster.. It's making me sad to think I might not be able to produce more of the c99 seeds. I will definitely wait it out. I don't have any rooting hormone right now though, will a few drops of flowering nutes work? By the way when cloning do you use a gel, powder or liquid rooting hormone?

Adding nutrients right now would probably be a bad idea.

Rooting hormones would be much gentler. I use Olivias rooting gel, but they all work.

Thanks bro.. will get the hormone. checked them and the other ww is peeking through still nothing from the other og18 or c99s. but the lsd's are falling over. what am I doing wrong? temps under the lights are at about 85. I'm keeping them moist but trying not to over water. the 2 cfl's are in shop lights and giving off 1200 lumens a piece. I saturated the party cups initially and have been watering to keep the surface moist. do I need to place plastic bags over the cups or, do I need more light?

It sounds like they may be a bit warm. If you have a meat thermometer or a old stick thermometer, check the temp off the soil. It should be absolutely no higher than 80f. If it is then back the lights away some. I also recommend that you have a small fan to give them a slight breeze to keep them cool and ffresh air moving. It sounds also like you may be keeping them too moist. While they are germing, you want them very moist, but as soon as you see them break the soil, allow them to dry out just a bit and only give light amounts of water. seedlings are the trickiest stage in my opinion. :)

Thanks Hush. Will do. I will let em dry out and position my fan on em. the other og18 and ww have made an appearance. Now I'm just waiting on the c99s.

Latest posts

Back