welcome to Growers 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I want to grow again, we moved in with my mom now and she is very religion. How can I explane to her that weed is God's gift! Does anyone had problem like this?

Hi! I want to grow again, we moved in with my mom now and she is very religion. How can I explane to her that weed is God's gift! Does anyone had problem like this?

Lol I did when I was in high school. My mom was very brain washed by the government and saw Marijuana as bad as Heroin... Theres really nothing you can do to someone who is close minded and set in their beliefs.. The only thing you could do, is download some informative documentaries on how they are helpful, can replace 240 different textiles, the healing attributes of it. Try finding a video about CBD of marijuana. That is what eventually got my mom to snap out of it. But, it always depends on the person. Usually religious types (no offense and I say this having my fathers side a strict Catholic and my mothers side a strict christian) are usually very naive and close minded in scientific and natural benefits... So it really depends on your mothers intelligence... If she's willing to think outside the box, or to be naive and stay stuck in a brainwashed perspective.. Good luck man!

it is funny how many people think that MJ is so bad, then the go and smoke their tobacco, and drink their sodas, and take their aspirin. They are blown away when you tell them the story that over 200years ago people were hanged or burned as witches for using willow tree bark to make a tea that cures headaches and and reduces swelling. The main ingredient in that willow tree bark that miraculously cured headaches, is the same ingredient that has been used to make billions of dollars for the Bayer Aspirin company. Thousands of medicines come from plants that grow naturally around this planet. We have been celebrating tobacco and alcohol ffor centuries and they both are deadly and medicinally worthless, but MJ has proven over and over to not be remotely as bad(in its lifetime) as either of those(are in a single year), and has proven to have many medicinal qualities.

Tell people that as it is 100% true :)

Tell people that as it is 100% true :)

I hate to be a naysayer and as funny as your statement is Hushpuppy it is not 100% TRUE

Alcohol has traditionally and still is today widely used as an antiseptic and commonly used in Cough medicines, the list goes on and on and on

Nicotine is extracted from Tobacco much like Asprin is from bark and used for treating rare disorders such as Tourette's and Schizophrenia as well as being used as a sedative, diuretic, expectorant, discutient, and internally only as an emetic

How "medicinally worthless" are those ?

Yes a very very small amount of the tobacco and alcohol used in the US is for medicinal purposes. The vast vast majority of it is used recreationally and is indeed bad for you with no medical benefits. There are no medical benefits to using these products in the manner in which we do.

Talking about compounds that are extracted to make medicine is another thing entirely anyway...

I never heard of using Nicotine in any other medical form before you just said it. It must not be widely used as I am 50yo and never heard of it (not saying you are wrong, just never heard or read it)

With alcohol, its 2 uses are medicinal. You can kill bacteria with certain alkalines or acids but giving them to disinfect and clean an area on the skin wouldn't be wise. antiseptics aren't medicines, only microbe killers. Hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic, would you consider it a medicine, I don't.
As far as it being used "in" medicines, it is used as a drug to induce relaxation and sleep, not as a healing property. This is just my belief and figuring.

If a doctor gave you the choice of nicotine or cannabis for treating some ailment, which would you choose?

I hate to be a naysayer and as funny as your statement is Hushpuppy it is not 100% TRUE

Alcohol has traditionally and still is today widely used as an antiseptic and commonly used in Cough medicines, the list goes on and on and on

Nicotine is extracted from Tobacco much like Asprin is from bark and used for treating rare disorders such as Tourette's and Schizophrenia as well as being used as a sedative, diuretic, expectorant, discutient, and internally only as an emetic

How "medicinally worthless" are those ?

Ya he simply just wanted to feel like he was smart by trying to be-little what you said Hush, and taking a small fraction " has no medicinal benefits" and went on a rant.. What we specifically should have said to these literal types, is there is nothing medically beneficial for WHAT WE USUALLY use for today. Sure there may be a small fraction that can be utilized for something beneficial, but nonetheless, the point remains valid.. There is way more medicinal benefits from Marijuana than any of these more acceptable chemicals such as alcohal and tobacco, hell even coffee... Plain and simple. Not really sure what your intentions were with you be-belittling facts, with other facts... Trying to prove a very knowledgeable grower wrong? You might realize that you didn't disprove anything we said, you simply just added non wide spread knowledge about chemicals that are on a majority basis, bad for you, may in fact have very minute medical purpose... Ya.. you showed us big time Rick ;) Good luck to ya!

My doctor told me years ago he wishes he could prescribe tobacco for IBS because it works so well. Then he said, but I can't, cause we know that tobacco kills.
Comparing our fabulous healing relaxing herb to booze and nicotine is ridiculous.

I think they are studying the use of nicotine and alzheimer's, there may be some benefits.

my understanding is that much of the reason tobacco is such a carcinogen today is because of all the substances that are sprayed on it and added to it(formaldehyde being one of them) to discourage pests from destroying the crop or munching the harvest. granted it is very addictive and i for one and quite glad i don't jones for it anymore. alcohol like wine, in moderation, can be beneficial and has been touted as one of the reasons heart disease is so much less prevalent in europe but too many people are unable to moderate themselves. i have found that cannabis is very good for pain relief and relaxes me and frankly, improves my mood. again though, in moderation at least for me. but as far as dolbacass and his mom go, if he is asking the community how to convince his mom to let him grow cannabis, he is probably not going to win that battle as he knows her better than any of us. if it hasn't clicked for her yet, it probably wont...

Don`t know how old his mom is, but this 67 year old has known about the medicinal benefits of cannabis for over 40 years. Show her articles in magazines and newspapers, watch TV programs. Some different ways of trying to open her eyes. Good luck.

Welcome growers to The Marijuana Passion. :welcome:
If you are new to growing Marijuana or just starting your grow, or are just thinking about it, and you are looking for help with anything from the basics of growing Marijuana to finding places to get the materials needed, this is the thread for you.

Here at "The Passion" you will find many seasoned and experienced growers who are quite passionate about every aspect of growing, harvesting, curing, and consuming Marijuana. While many of these good people are quite willing to help a new grower (noob), we realize that too many opinions and/or too much information can become overwhelming to a "noob". We recognize that asking questions when you feel like you know so little can be quite intimidating. We don't want this to be a place that intimidates new growers into not asking what may seem like a "dumb" question but is really very important to the person who just doesn't know the answer, or doesn't quite grasp certain aspects of what we believe is an "art of growing" this wonderful plant.

The mission of this thread then is to serve those of you who have wandered around the site for a while, or have just found this forum and are trying to learn as much as you can but are afraid to ask. If you have been ridiculed or brushed off by others who didn't have time or patience to explain things to you then this is the thread for you. The montra for this thread is: The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.
So on behalf of the staff and members here, I welcome you and ask you to take some time and read the information we have listed for you. This information will not (can not) be a comprehensive library of "Marijuana growing", but we will try to give you as much of a solid framework to build upon that we can without actually writing a book. I am sure that you will find that the more you learn, the more questions you will have to ask. This thread will allow you to do just that, ask and learn without feeling embarrassed for not knowing. Remember that we were all "noobs" once. :)
Hushpuppy :farm: :icon_smile:

:aok: I just found this thread Hushpuppy. I'm not very observant am I? I have a ton of newb questions. Here are a few pounds of them :aok:

1. I read somewhere that they throw the drained off water away after watering a plant. Why not toss it on the next plant that needs water?:confused2:Just sayin':confused2:

2. Why not just leave the access drained water in the drain off pan and let the plant suck it back up?:confused2:I read somewhere this is bad but I can't remember why? :confused2:

3. I can't remember the next question. I'll be back. Thanks for the Great thread Hushpuppy. I read the whole thing and learned alot. :stoned:

Sorry to take so long to answer. The answer for both of the questions you have is: When you water plants that are grown in soil or soilless medium, it is a good practice to allow the runoff to sit in the tray for an hour so that any places that didn't get water will be able to "wick" it back up into the soil so that every part of the soil has become saturated.

But you don't want to let the plants set in the water any longer than that because the draining action that occurs after removing the excess water works with the drying action of the soil/medium to pull air into the soil/medium which helps to oxygenate the soil. This is very important to the roots of the plants, any plant needs oxygen at the roots or they will drown and kill the plant. Even in hydroponics where the plants roots are continuously in water, or are being soaked by splashing water, aerating the water is critical for preventing the roots from drowning.

Typically with soil grown plants, There is a cycle of watering and drying that must occur to allow the proper aeration of the soil so that the roots don't sit in water and drown. This is where many new growers make mistakes of not mixing into the soil enough light material like pearlite which keeps the soil from compacting with water, which leads to a lack of aeration.

The soil additive of pearlite to break up the soil to allow proper drainage, watering and removing the excess runoff, and then allowing a drying period are all part of one of the many natural processes which aid in optimum growth and health of the plant. Allowing the excess water to sit in the catch pan for an hour is just 1 of many tricks to help prevent problems, such as eliminating dry spots in the soil.

Why we don't pick up that excess water and use it on the next plant is because as the water runs through the soil, it is subject to pick up anything that is dissolvable that may not be helpful to the plants such as occasional salts that can get into the soil from many sources. More often than not, if you are growing in total organic medium with organic nutrients then it probably wouldn't hurt to use some of the runoff water if you came up short on one plant, but its not really a good practice to use. It is best to maintain indoor grown plants as individual ecosystems to prevent any cross contamination from a possibly sick plant that has some forms of pathogens in the soil. This is a danger that hydro growers face with having several plants within one watering system. What happens to one plant will happen to all of the plants within that system.

I hope this makes sense to you as it is a bit of a drawn out explanation. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

Your answer is exactly what I was looking for. My problem is that when I read something in a journal or a thread, I try and go back and re-read and I forget where I read it. I'm doing a lot of re-reading.

Thanks Hushpuppy :farm: I appreciate the response.

what I believe a hempy bucket is, is a container with no hole in it and the idea is to place a hole 2-3 inchs from the bottom to act as a reseviour for the roots. there is a more detailed explanation somewere on this site as to how this person does it. my question tho is if its ok to leave that much water in a hempy bucket no matter the grow medium used why is it so necessary to remove the extra water from my normal cocoa grows? its only about an inch of water. just wondering. I just found this thread and thought what a wonderfull place to ask questions like this were im not sure were to put it?

It all goes back to the aeration of the medium. I have seen hydro grows that were hybridized like mine where the plants sit in coco coir but are held above the hydro system and periodically watered. The one system I have in mind had water/solution continuously running so that there was a 1/2" of water standing on top of the pots of coco that the plants were in. These plants' roots were essentially submerged in solution continuously as the owner never turned off the pumps. The plants were growing just fine because he kept the solution majorly aerated.

Plants setting in medium that is not connected to aerated hydro solution is completely different. as water is heavy, as the excess is removed, the remaining will slowly drain to the bottom. This causes air to be drawn into the top of the medium which aerates it.

unless I am missing something tho hempy buckets are not aerated, just the water when first put in, as mine is.. I tend to agree with you from all I have read but they are kinda popular and if 2-3 inchs is ok with those then why not with my 1-1.5 in the saucer? I would think eather way one would have issues.

I can't really compare the 2 as I have never done the Hempy buckets. But aeration happens with all mediums or the plant will die from the roots drowning. When most think of aeration, they think of an air pump and hose, but all soilless and soil grows use natural aeration which occurs as the moisture that gets put onto the top of the medium drains down through, and pulls air into the soil from the top. The problem with water sitting in the overflow saucer is not that it happens but for how long. Once the medium is saturated then that water needs to be removed as it shuts off the natural aeration that occurs from the drying process. Right after watering, you can leave the water in the overflow for an hour or 2 but then it needs to be removed so the natural aeration can turn back on.

I certainly don't like the idea of having a body of water sitting beneath the roots of my plant unless it can be aerated well enough to prevent root drowning. If you want to see an example of how much plants roots like aeration, take a look at the end of my "Pup's new stealth closet" journal. Look at the amount of roots that grew around my air stone that sat beneath the plant in the reservoir. I had to literally dig the air stone out of the root mass to remove it.

heck no. I aint gonna try it. LOL. it was just one of those things I read about and made me think. to busy tring to get clones to root for my bubble buckets.

Latest posts

Back