What a Rube.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key2life

Reaction score
Hey folks, key2hwy here. First post! :icon_smile:

I've been doing a lot of reading, here and at other forums, and I think I might know enough to ask a question or two at this juncture. When I decided to try my hand at this growing thing, almost 40 years to the date of my first toke, I had no idea how involved this was going to become - and how fast! I have never grown before, and I haven't smoked in 15 years or more. I think I may be at that point where I'm just confusing myself with all the information, and need to reach out to more experienced heads and hands.

MP seems to have the smoothest vibe of the forums that I've seen, and the people here seem to be incredibly generous with their time, creativity, and expertise.

I have a 3.5 x 4.5 foot closet space with no vertical issues (9 ft). I've painted it white and installed a 600 W dimmable MH/HPS light with a 6" exhaust fan pulling through a homemade carbon filter, and a 4" intake fan coming off the duct work under the house. The closet is in an unused bedroom, which is air conditioned. I have light proofed the closet and tweaked out the temperature issues, I think - at least for this time of year. My closest neighbors are over 100 yards away, so I think I'm OK on smell issues. My town is only 1100 people and I'm not in the city limits. Almost no one comes to my house except the bug man 4 times a year - and he's expendable. :D

I was determined to do an organic soil SCROG using White Widow x Big Bud, but am now wondering if I shouldn't just try and get a grow under my belt first. I've made the screen, 2.5 x 4 ft, but am wondering if it's just one more thing to worry about on my first grow. I really like the idea of it, though.

The major question I have that I can't find a "definitive" answer to (although I'm sure it's here) is this: Can I properly light seedlings with this 600W light set on MH and dimmed down to 300W without burning them up? And, if I can, how high should the light be from the seedlings? Can I scrim the light to "tamp it down" a bit? (Buying T5 equipment for the seedlings just isn't happening right now.)

Also, if anyone has an opinion on whether it's smart to do a SCROG on the first grow or not, I'm all ears. I was gong to do 3 plants, but could I do 4 plants under this screen?

Last one - for this post, at least: Does anyone have any advice on organic nutes? Bat guano vs. Gen Hydro vs. Earth Juice, etc, etc? Is it one of those things where it's not so much the wand, but the magician? I'm a careful guy, and I make my own very good beer and grow pretty good roses, so I can follow a process. I also know something is going to go wrong somewhere along the way - just want to to minimize it. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance to all who might help a wannabe out. I will post a grow journal - if and when my seeds show up and I tie up some of these loose ends.

Thanks again,

Key

key2hwy,

Hey hey! Welcome back to growing! I have a link to a "nute study" below which may help decide on liquid nutes. If your looking for straight organic soil, theres a few growers with real solid mixes to try. I think Nouvellechef may be someone to chat with.

As it seems theres no chance for T5s in your current situation, your light may just have to work. Its difficult to say where proper placement should be considering the dimming option. Seedlings and clones are indeed sensitive to intense light. I might start your light high on the lower intensity side of things and watch how the plants respond. If they begin to look lanky, lower it down. Theres no exact science to this - it takes some practice and good judgement.

On your first grow I would concentrate on keeping it simple. Thats not to say you should avoid the SCROG method but if your doubtful stick to what you know IMO. Keep in mind the resources here as well. We can help you through it all.

Brewing beer and growing roses! Sounds like a happy combo to me - now lets get you some homegrown for the mix! Both those hobbies are extremely relevant to growing.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing things progress.

Peace - Jman

:ciao::welcome: To the Only Place :ciao::bolt::bong:

I once started 36 seeds under a 1000 watter. Don't recommend it but it can be done.

Never done SCROG so I can't help you there.

Does anyone have any advice on organic nutes?

Always read what it is derived from, there are some sneaky/smart marketing geniuses out there hiding all kinds of stuff in there organic all natural nutes

Thanks, all - glad to be here.

Jman - Your Nute Study is exactly what I was hoping for. The quality of information in there is unbelievable. Thanks, man. Going on the hard drive.

Duck - Glad to know it can be done. Any recollection how high you had to place that 100 W'er? Thanks for the tip on the nutes, as well.

have you considered starting your seedlings under a 250 watt cfl bulb i used a 125 watt on some plant i had that were about eight inches tall and they did veg i also believe they are gentle enough for seedlings:icon_smile:

welcome to mp key2---imo i would run 6 plants in that space---veg to 2' and flip them to the 12/12

your light should be just fine running 24 hrs on those seedlings at that setting---closer the better---you can determine how close is optimal by placing the back side of your hand/arm under the light at the height that the seedlings are---if your arm gets hot---raise the light---keep your eye on it in a few hours to be sure they are not beginning to wilt---if you can direct a gentle breeze on the seedlings---that is also good

looking forward to your updates---don't think we have anybody doing organics with hops and barley in their soil

i am subscribed :48:

Thanks, skullcandy, for the tip.

Thanks, orangesunshine - helpful info, for sure. I'll keep a good eye on them and pick up a small oscillating fan. I think I met you a few times back in the 70's, at least the name sure sounds familiar! :cool:

so what kind of seeds are you waiting on key2---if they are not feminized plan on culling 50% of what you germinate leaving you with the final number of plants to manage for 16 weeks---i would ditch the scrog for now---did you mix your own soil---if you are set up and just waiting on your beans you might consider running the light in the space to keep your eye on the temp---are you able to leave the door open during veg---imo the key to all indoor grows is fresh air and you can never exchange enough of it---it not just provides co2 but will help minimize other issues like powdery mildew---your flooring is also something to seriously consider---you will spill on it---i prefer concrete for easy clean up---what is the plan for discarded water----ie saucers under the pots or all pots in a big tray with over flow to a drain---please give a heads up when you start your grow journal so we can follow along---would like to see the space when it is set up---green mojo yo way :icon_smile:

Thanks, OS - I've been out in the sticks for a couple of days, away from the computer. I'll be home tonight. I have the space set up and have run the temp. checks - all seems good. I can leave the door open if it starts to get hot and stuffy in there once temps. outside start to climb. The floor is carpeted and I was just going to line it with white plastic and put some tubs under the pots for drainage control.

I have 10 White Widow x Big Bud and 5 Fruity Chronic Juice seeds in transit from London Seed Centre now. I picked those for their "SCROGability," but think they'll do fine if I leave that off for the first run. I'm inclined to keep it as simple as possible for now.

I'll try and take some pictures when I get home. Thanks for the mojo, man. I will definitely let you know when I get cranked up.

Welcome to MP and growing. May your grows be green!

Thanks, Iams, I appreciate it.

On another note - seeds came in today, including a free Hex and and free Applejack. So I'm thinking 2 White Widow x Big Bud, 2 Fruity Chronic Juice, and the freebies. (No hassles using London Seed Centre, and I got next day email response on 2 separate questions. They seem great to me, but I have no frame of reference.)

I'm going to pass on the SCROG for this first shot at it, I think - probably good advice. I'm sure I'll have my hands full as it is. What a rube.

When I get them germinated, I'll start up a grow journal. Hope some of you might tag along for that - I'll need the help, for sure. :eek:

Thanks for the advice so far,

Key

I would recommend HO T5s over CFLs if you decide to get something just for vegging.

I think it is a good call on not scrogging. You are most likely going to want to use clones or fem seeds. It can be hard to remove males.

I wouldn't hook up the carbon filter until you need it--it cuts down on the efficiency of the fan and makes it work harder.

Thanks, THG, for the feedback. I just read Iams' grow journal where you put him on Fimming, so I think I'll want to get on it and research that technique. I wish that a separate veg light fixture was in the cards for me at present, but I'm going to have to make do with the 600W MH dimmed down to 300W.

I neglected to mention that the WW x BB and Fruity Chronic Juice seeds are fem seeds. The freebies are, too, from what I can gather looking them up.

Thanks, also, for the tip on the filter - makes sense.

Now, if I can manage to germinate these things.....

I've started my grow journal over in that section - just wanted to let all those kind enough to offer advice on this thread know so, hopefully, you might come around and help a greenhorn out with his first grow. I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back