What are they used for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
The light is purchased and set up in the closet. Soon I'll be purchasing the equipment necessary to check my temperatures in the grow space. As it stands, it does not seem to go over the mid70s by guess alone when holding my hand underneathe the light.

Soil is next. I have my seeds, but I do not have a carbon filter and inline fan, nor do I have the ducting yet. I intend on purchasing a 25' 4" ducting kid with clamps from the Hydro store this upcoming weekend, along with some Miracle Grow Seed Starter potting mix with lime and added perlite. I'm going to use Solo cups to get them started in as well. It is my understanding that for the first week or two, I will not need to supplement my watering schedule with any nutrients. But I've heard mixed reports as to when to begin feeding the plants. There are people out there who are firm in not using any nutes during the vegetative state, and then there are those who say to use a quarter dose the first week, a half dose the next, and a full dose for all subsequent weeks. The strain I'm going to be growing, White Berry, is very fast to veg and flower with a reported 21-28 days to veg, and 50-55 days to flower. So, I'm curious as to a possible feeding schedule or advice to stay away from feeding during the vegetative state.

Below is listed the nutrients that I have obtained:
Beastie Bloomz, 1 lb
Open Sesame, 1 lb
Cha Ching, 1 lb
1qt Big Bloom
1qt Grow Big
1qt Tiger Bloom

I'm here, basically, trying to figure out what I'm going to keep and what I'm going to store away or sell. There's no way as a soil grower I'm going to need all of this, though some of the stuff listed is definitely keeper status. More or less, the Beastie Bloomz, Cha Ching, Open Sesame, Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom are the nutrients I'm interested in. Which each is used for and when they are used.

I also have these:

Thrive Alive B-1, Green, 250 ml
Final Flush Regular 1L
Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus, 1qt
Clonex Rooting Compound, 100 ml
Hygrozyme, 500 ml
SaferGro pH Down, 16oz

If anybody would care to elaborate on the uses of these items, so that I may gain a better understanding of what I need to have on hand and what I can live without, I would greatly appreciate it!

-nasty

Can you go to the website and print out a schedule for the, is it Fox Farm nutes? I don't use those but hopefully someome will stop by that knows. I would definitely get a schedule.

If you already have it all, keep it all. The Cha Ching, Beastie and Open are supplements added toward mid bloom if I remember correctly, the last 3 are used throughout...well, according to sched at least.

Oooops, could read further, huh? The Thrive and Hygro are basically for rooting (transplant), Cal/Mag is during budding, clones is for cloning (lol) and the ph down is also obvious.

Sell the flush...worthless imho

Not my brand of nutes but I agree with Roddy on the basic observations. Keep in mind that 21-28 days of veg probably means from clones. I never put a plant into flower until it shows preflowers and that is usually around the 5th to 6th week of veg. As far as when to feed your plants, keep in mind that I am a hydro guy, I feed my plants the first time after they are 2 weeks old from the day they were soaked and I feed them at 1/4 strength. My plants are 5 weeks old before they get full strength nutes. Keep in mind that when you fertelize yours for the first time, it will depend on the type of soil that you use when you transplant.

Yeah I don't know squat about those lines but I agree 100% with Roddy....I keep it very simple with just the GH 3 part but if you hve all of those on hand I wld use what I cld when they were needed and sell or flush the flush.:) I wld be careful and make sure none of those products contain known carcinogens in them. These Additive companies are unscrupulous at best and some are downright dangerous. Selling additives with known carcinogens in them shld be criminal. jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
Yeah I don't know squat about those lines but I agree 100% with Roddy....I keep it very simple with just the GH 3 part but if you hve all of those on hand I wld use what I cld when they were needed and sell or flush the flush.:) I wld be careful and make sure none of those products contain known carcinogens in them. These Additive companies are unscrupulous at best and some are downright dangerous. Selling additives with known carcinogens in them shld be criminal. jmo

Bcuzz, GH, Advanced, Canna and a few others send their samples into my work to be tested for heavy metals and other harmful substances. They've never once had any dangerous levels. They definitely aren't fit for human consumption.. But I wouldn't be worried about carcinogens.

lots of info around on ff nutes. the feed schedule is on thier web site. i used the full line last season, and thier pretty descent nutes, and easy to use...

I also like to keep it simple. I personally have never seen much difference anytime I have tried the additives these companies put out. I also do not like to have to have 12 different products to deal with, especially as I have seen no real benefits from those (IMO) overly complicated nutrient schedules.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I also like to keep it simple. I personally have never seen much difference anytime I have tried the additives these companies put out. I also do not like to have to have 12 different products to deal with, especially as I have seen no real benefits from those (IMO) overly complicated nutrient schedules.

:yeahthat: .... i use to use AN sensi 2 part line up and all there addatives and wow..alot to put on your plate and in your head... and for a first time grow when using them it was a total overload..

im a GH3 user now with calmag in flower n love it...
simple and works..
LH

LEFTHAND said:
:yeahthat: .... i use to use AN sensi 2 part line up and all there addatives and wow..alot to put on your plate and in your head... and for a first time grow when using them it was a total overload..

im a GH3 user now with calmag in flower n love it...
simple and works..
LH

Hey LH nice to see you posting again....I hope all is well.

Hamster Lewis said:

hey hammy...
im back.. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... lol
yeah alls well... been set back for almost a yr.. but imback getting my feet wet...

soon i should have some pics and a journal started of the new system n couple new strains..

hope alls well up in your area as well..
LH

Hamster Lewis said:
:yeahthat:

Was wondering where you've been. Glad to see you back.

Now, where is 2dog??????

Wet

Wetdog said:
:yeahthat:

Was wondering where you've been. Glad to see you back.

Now, where is 2dog??????

Wet

I hear that...anybody spoken with that gurl lately? I won't even bring up the Bean. I just hope they are well....

getnasty said:
The light is purchased and set up in the closet. Soon I'll be purchasing the equipment necessary to check my temperatures in the grow space. As it stands, it does not seem to go over the mid70s by guess alone when holding my hand underneathe the light.

Soil is next. I have my seeds, but I do not have a carbon filter and inline fan, nor do I have the ducting yet. I intend on purchasing a 25' 4" ducting kid with clamps from the Hydro store this upcoming weekend, along with some Miracle Grow Seed Starter potting mix with lime and added perlite. I'm going to use Solo cups to get them started in as well. It is my understanding that for the first week or two, I will not need to supplement my watering schedule with any nutrients. But I've heard mixed reports as to when to begin feeding the plants. There are people out there who are firm in not using any nutes during the vegetative state, and then there are those who say to use a quarter dose the first week, a half dose the next, and a full dose for all subsequent weeks. The strain I'm going to be growing, White Berry, is very fast to veg and flower with a reported 21-28 days to veg, and 50-55 days to flower. So, I'm curious as to a possible feeding schedule or advice to stay away from feeding during the vegetative state.

Below is listed the nutrients that I have obtained:
Beastie Bloomz, 1 lb
Open Sesame, 1 lb
Cha Ching, 1 lb
1qt Big Bloom
1qt Grow Big
1qt Tiger Bloom

I'm here, basically, trying to figure out what I'm going to keep and what I'm going to store away or sell. There's no way as a soil grower I'm going to need all of this, though some of the stuff listed is definitely keeper status. More or less, the Beastie Bloomz, Cha Ching, Open Sesame, Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom are the nutrients I'm interested in. Which each is used for and when they are used.

I also have these:

Thrive Alive B-1, Green, 250 ml
Final Flush Regular 1L
Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus, 1qt
Clonex Rooting Compound, 100 ml
Hygrozyme, 500 ml
SaferGro pH Down, 16oz

If anybody would care to elaborate on the uses of these items, so that I may gain a better understanding of what I need to have on hand and what I can live without, I would greatly appreciate it!

-nasty

Hey Nasty, make sure you drill little holes in the solo cups for drainage, On the Miracle Grow!! it probably has enough nutes in the mix to sustain the seedlings till you transplant, watch for fungus on the soil surface, I've had problems with it, But I've seen alot of plants burnt useing watered nutes on top of store bought "potting soils", What exact medium do you plan to transplant to. Good Luck and Green MOJO as they say!!

Thanks for all the replies ladies, gentlemen, and rodent!

I found the feeding schedule on the Fox Farm website (hxxp://foxfarmfertilizer.com/FoxFarm-Soil-Schedule.pdf; pg. 2) and have a few questions about it.

It looks as if I'm going to be required to pick up an EC Meter to measure the PPM/EC in my water? This schedule lists what your PPMs and EC should be at for each week and I can't get the thought out of my head that I'm going to royally screw something up if I don't have the EC Meter. Also, I just wanted to make sure I'm reading the chart properly. The left side's measurements appear to read teaspoons per gallon, twice weekly; is this correct? So, for the first week as a seedling, I'm adding 6 teaspoons of Big Bloom per gallon of water used? Likewise, in week 7 (or week 3 of flowering), I'm adding 3 teaspoons of Big Bloom, 2 teaspoons each Grow Big and Tiger Bloom, and 1/4 of a teaspoon of Beastie Bloomz? It seems to me I'm reading it right.

Do you guys and gals and tiny creatures have any tips to water storage? I intend on keeping a reservoir on the floor in my bedroom filled with water for watering the plants, unless you guys advise against that. I am going to use an opaque plastic tub, probably 5-10 gallons. It's my understanding that it needs to be light proof, because light heats up the water to above room temperature. Believe I may have also read something about it degrading the quality of the nutrients in the water, ut I may just be so high I'm making shift up in my head. :p Would an opaque, non-black tub suffice? Or should I consider covering it in aluminum tape, regardless of the tub's transparency?

Also, it's my understanding that any water we give to our ladies should be aerated with an airpump and airstone for increased oxygen being supplies to the plants. Is this an upfront necessity? If it seems like I'm trying to skimp where I can, it's because I am. Thus far I've spent ~$300 with another projected $200 needed before I can get started. Me working with a $600 or less monthly income makes my need to save where I can much greater. I also realize that a pump and airtone probably wouldn't cost me more than $20-$30, but $20-$30 goes a heck of a long way when you make as little as I do, and then Uncle Sam wants to suck the remaining life out of my paycheck on top of it and use that money to do things like... oh, I don't know, renovate the statue of liberty? (It's being done right now... check it out. $25 million taxpayer money going into the project.) Sorry, got a little sidetracked there.

Moving along, taking everybody's advice into consideration, I've decided to keep on hand the Bloom Big, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, Open Sesame, Cha Ching, and Beastie Bloomz as these are all included in the above reported feeding schedule. The rest of the stuff, save the pH-, I'm going to store in another closet til a later date, when I decide to begin cloning. I don't think I'm going to be at this location much longer, as we're looking into purchasing a house and I will have a larger area, requiring an even larger financial investment. Though I hope to use my profits in my first endeavor to obtain some 'big boy' equipment. Anyways, a perpetual grow at this location seems pointless, because of that.

Skag, thanks for the protip. I'd already figured I'd need to do that, as I'd be doing it using a 5gal bucket as well, if I used those to hold my medium. :p I'll be using the MG Seed Starter to start the seeds off with and then transplant from the solo cups into the fabric shopping bags we sell at work with a 60/20/20 FFOF/Lime/Perlite mix. While on that subject, can anybody tell me how I should put the soil in the bags? I know this seems elementary, but I am a nitpick and have to ensure I do everything properly. Do I just dump the soil mix into the bags and let live, or do I pack the soil down into the bags firmly?

P.S. Skag, your attention is requested in the nickname thread in the Coffee Table forum. ;]

-nasty

Do not be a slave to a feeding schedule--there is NO feeding schedule that is going to right for all plants. You are going to have to learn your plants and how much they like to eat. Some like high ec levels that would kill others. Feeding charts should be used as guidelines only. I cannot get the Fox Farm feeding schedule to load, but 6t of Big Bloom for 1 week old seedlings doesn't sound right....

IMO, if you are going to mix nutes ahead of time and let them sit, aerating your mixture is a MUST. You need a dark container (something that lets NO light through) so that algae doesn't grow--it has nothing to do with light heating the solution up or light degrading nutes--dark colors will heat up faster than transparent or see-through containers. It is all about algae.

Latest posts

Back