What Brought You Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St_Nick

Two_Toke
Reaction score
I was just reading through some threads (old and new) and got to wondering about the interesting and various reasons people show up on the various forums. Knowledge is obviously one reason to show up but there is usually a driving factor that causes you to come back. I myself found an environment that fit with my way of thinking. I "ghosted" threads for a long time, learning what I needed and occasionally contributing some insignificant bit of knowledge. I enjoy checking up on the place now. Made some good friends too.

I was thrilled when i found MP. I had just got my medical license and need you guys. I liked the vibe. I have made some great friends and learned how to grow the dank and make medicine for folks. Thank you MP.

Other Keef and his big mouth got me banned for life from 420 mag. after about 6 months by making a joke -They were not amused - I had found that I enjoyed hanging with other growers - So I went looking for a new place -- I introduced myself to the Growery forum they apparently had been warned about me so I immediately got banned for -- 999999999999999 days !-
I then stumbled across MP and haven't got permanently banned yet !--What's it been 4-5 years ?

A couple years ago, they legalize weed in California...I was still gainfully and dutifully employed and I was not smokin (well, maybe a toke here and there)or growin weed...But I knew that retirement was just around the corner and I just had to give growin weed a try...I visited a number of grow forums but this one just felt like home and soon I became fond of the personalities here, even though I have never met face to face with any of you...I keep coming back because it’s fun and because there are some really smart growers here and I’m learnin...

I started my cannabis independence as I call it in 2012...I have smoked all my life but due to getting older...no connections anymore that I wanted and the unknown substance they put on commercial cannabis I decided to grow my own .Of course I sought knowledge at first and like St Nick just stalked the treads till I gained enough knowledge to have a sensible conversation lol. Decided to come out of the shadows and repay my debt to MP with kindness and respect.

I decided to start growing right before Xmas 2008. I quickly realized there was a lot to learn and searched through some forums. Found this one and signed up. I believe pcduck was the first person to help me. I started learning quite a bit and made a bunch of friends. Been here since. Even through the Great Crash a couple of years back. I feel like I owe it to help others just like I was helped.

I started growing 38 years ago firstly outside in the bush carrying water on my back doing the trek into the plants twice a week dodging drop bears , Been growing inside for 10 years now but we have not had the internet here for very long couple of years only got mobile service here 18 months ago so growing was all trial and error had no one to chew the fat with- getting strains was keeping the occasional seed from smoke brought from the city not knowing what it was - finding MP has been great for me - not only learning new ideas but finding that a lot of what I had learned myself was correct and that when it comes to hydro I have a lot to give - great place to be

My story, hmmmm it's been a long time. MP was a different place then, with different people. I was already growing and had been for some time. I came here for the hook up for genetics. I had bought seeds from SSSC and the SeedBank in Holland in the 80's. I knew about them, because they advertised in High Times. I was still growing those strains. I was on the East Coast and hearing about Grand Daddy Purp and all kinds of OG's, I wanted to grow other things. The culture and times were different. Much more restrictive. There simply was no safe way to talk to other growers. I would stand on my toilet and blow the smoke into the exhaust fan, for fear someone might smell weed.

I've been growing 1 or 2 plants a year for around 20 years. I started outside, hiking deep into parks and usually digging into a hill. I found the more often I went back the more likely I was to be discovered. Because a few times I was spotted and plants were gone next visit. I started growing indoors when I wrecked my truck and my back b/c I couldn't hike like I use to. Indoor is worrisome sometimes here. You can't just tell people you grow here. No one. This is a big interest/hobby of mine (ours) and I want to talk to people about it. I want to learn and I want to help others where and if I can. Everyone here can be so friendly, helpful and respectful. I have surfed many a thread here and very, very rarely did I see arguing or flaming as they say. The wealth of knowledge and the members here exude Marijuana Passion. The whole package is what got me to keep coming back. I knew I just had to say hi and I'd have people to talk with and get guidance where needed. I will say the OFC keeps me coming back daily tho.

I really never thought about searching the internet for weed information until I started to look for information on ways to smoke weed that were easier on the lungs. I found that a lot of the chemicals I was using on my weed (thanks Monsanto!) were probably contributing to my problem. Then I started looking into organic gardening and this was the first line item on my Google search. I had never considered doing organic in a pot. At the time I was driving around the country with a 5th wheel and growing in a closet in the kitchen of the camper. After I gave up the camper and bought a place this forum and the people in it helped me set up my grow room, helped me with genetics and listened to all of my successes and my frustrations They entertain me first thing in the morning and they allow me to chat casually about weed while living in a state that still chops your berries off for the stuff.

my dad used to come here all the time ,,,,,,he never used facebook ,,,myspace ,, or any other social media site ,,,but for some reason (which I did not understand till much later)he liked it here ,,,,I can remember my mom used to give him snit about how much time he spent here ,,,after dads passing mom tried to keep his garden going but failed ,,,,when mom passed the house became mine ,,,dads old grow room was in bad shape ,,,,I came here to help get the info I needed to get dads room going again,,,i was welcomed with open arms ,,,people helped me with the info I needed and I got the room up and running again ,,,my first grow was the most enjoyable ,,,the results could have been better ,,but the experience was great ,,,altho we never have meet face to face I consider all of you my friends and I care for you guys deeply ,,,,so to answer your ????? on what brought me here I would say LOVE

my dad used to come here all the time ,,,,,,he never used facebook ,,,myspace ,, or any other social media site ,,,but for some reason (which I did not understand till much later)he liked it here ,,,,I can remember my mom used to give him snit about how much time he spent here ,,,after dads passing mom tried to keep his garden going but failed ,,,,when mom passed the house became mine ,,,dads old grow room was in bad shape ,,,,I came here to help get the info I needed to get dads room going again,,,i was welcomed with open arms ,,,people helped me with the info I needed and I got the room up and running again ,,,my first grow was the most enjoyable ,,,the results could have been better ,,but the experience was great ,,,altho we never have meet face to face I consider all of you my friends and I care for you guys deeply ,,,,so to answer your ????? on what brought me here I would say LOVE
I would so like to hug you right now- mm that's sounded a bit creepy LOL

I started screwing around with growing in the 80s....growing substandard plants from seeds I got out of bags of pot. It wasn't until 1998 or 99 that I got serious about it--got some quality genetics and set up proper grow spaces with good lighting and ventilation.

Not too long after that, I went looking for info on hydro and found Overgrow, a growing forum and Heaven's Staircase, a Canadian seed bank that was part of Overgrow. These were based out of Vancouver and I spent a lot of time there and got a fair number of seeds from Heaven's Staircase. Then, later (I'm thinking 2005), the RCMP raided and busted the seed bank and the forum went down. I actually had a seed order in when this went down. I worried about repercussions, but there were none....except I didn't have a "home" forum anymore.

I wandered around for about a year looking for the right place--IC Mag was too big, Roll It Up was full of stupid nasty-mouthed kids, etc. Not sure exactly how I stumbled upon this place, but I wasn't here for very long before I knew I had found my new home.

Like umbra says, it was quite different back then. Secrecy was of the utmost importance, penalties were harsh. The forum was busier as there were no grow shops or other growers that you could talk to. Having the forum enabled growers to share knowledge, ideas, and of course, pics of their plants.

Zigggy, we are so happy to have you here. Anyone around when your dad was will remember him and his loving gentle way--he was a very special part of the forum. Some of us later got to know your mom and felt the same way about her. To me, you carrying on and being here is extra special--we love you, too.

I used to be on Weed Bay a lot and Granny Storm Crows website sometimes. Those sites eventually went away. I was a hobby grower and into activism. I posted a story about a Madera County emergency ban on all medical marijuana dispensaries. Since my home at Weed Bay went commercial and discontinued their blog I needed a home. I went to most all of the cannabis websites posting my story. I came back to this website because the people here were kind and real. People like Rosebud and Hemp Goddess with their knowledge and maturity sealed the deal for me. The people here make this grow site the best. I have learned and continue to learn so much here. Now you guys are stuck with me.

I got here from a web search. I'm a 65 year old newbie...for marijuana. Living in Michigan it came up for a vote for recreational in November 2018. I voted for it, my wife voted against it. Since then she now feels bad that she voted against it since it has helped her Soooo much with here constant pains, and let's her sleep at night. I research, and research and bought books on many aspects of marijuana and growing etc. I'm a long time farmer from Nebraska, grew apples, wine grapes and other fruits, wheat, corn, and other gardening etc. Before I became a Deputy in Nebraska in the mid 1980s and ended in early 1990s I had smoked a pipe of marijuana at my Step Brother's place. Got me giggling and laughing and happy. I've never been down or against it, but never really understood it for what it was , as medicine, a way to relax, a pat of boosting our natural endocannaboid system. Looking back I find it funny that our Sheriff's office was so worreid about some hemp growing in the county when I knew darned well it was worthless for any smoking or high times. What a waste. Got out of law enforcement and went back to a job of machining for a living until with the times that they were, and Caterpillar pulling more and more back on orders was finally laid off. Looking elsewhere I found a job in SW Michigan as an Associate Winemaker. Been making wine for many years before being hired on and have been in that field since 1999.

Now, I'm one of the biggest advocates for marijuana reform along with my wife. First seeds I got were from MSNL and probably not the best variety, but I read and researched the internet and found much better seeds, and have had great luck with www.seedsman.com seeds. Stuff is a bit pricey, but not as much as getting weed and edibles from a traveling dispensary here. My lates grow is an OG Kush Auto that has 3 of them staggered a bit for growing. Some new Autos are in their fiber bags and now reside outside... kind of like putting out tomato plants after starting from seeds inside.

There is a lot more to learn, and hopefully, with my understanding of photography, chemistry, agriculture, science, and research on the web, I may be able to give good advice to those here as well as get some great advise from those that have traveled before me.

Recent purchase of an Ardent Nova Decarboxylator was a bit expensive, but I believe it will serve well to give my wife the decarboxylated ground flowers for her to consume as she has issues with smoking and vaping (lungs). I have a milligram scale at home, so figuring how to make small gel capsules has worked well. The Ardent Lift is a really nice piece of equipment that we will get use from as our crops mature and we have need for "cooking" herbs. :) Thanks for having this site!!

My wife and I are both converts to marijuana growing and consumption. She wants to petition our legislators to allow for planting of 12 plants for EACH person over 21 in the household, not just 12 for the whole house. National legality of marijuana 2019!!

Latest posts

Back