What do you know about LED grow lights ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
Hello everybody I have been thinking of the first led light I purchased, it’s from advanced led grow lights my reason for this is I recently purchased a newer brand I think this years model that came out or at the beginning of this year . I noticed the light color is a bit different and the instructions are also different my first light has instructions to pull the light up so high in order for the different diodes to mix there colors together so that the different spectrums or colors create one specific spectrum when it is mixed together as one and the new light doesn’t say this it actually says I can put the light 6”-24” for best results forget to mention the first light is 24”-36” from the plant and it’s not even half the power as the new one but the colors need to blend in . My question is does anyone know enough about them to know if there is any truth about this ? Cause I got my new lights around 10” from the cola and I keep thinking what if I’m not getting all I can from that light because the colors are not high up enough to blend in together. Any opinions on this and thanks 🙏

In my particular instance, I feel the closest I can get to my 600 W LED is 18 inches and I prefer to keep it closer to 24 inches away. You don’t need lights burning your plants in order to get quality flowers. I’m beginning to realize that 24 inches is probably ideal if you have powerful lights.

Some of the burple type used a lens to increase output and needed to be higher.
You will be able to tell if its too close, bleached look between the veins or white tops on flowers that are at the top of the plant.

I do love alot of light esp in vegg to make short internodes.

In my particular instance, I feel the closest I can get to my 600 W LED is 18 inches and I prefer to keep it closer to 24 inches away. You don’t need lights burning your plants in order to get quality flowers. I’m beginning to realize that 24 inches is probably ideal if you have powerful lights.
I also believe that , I currently got mine around 10” but my light is only a 245 watt I believe what bugs me is it what I read is true my led is not sufficient an way to close to actually work properly

I don’t know much about wattage but I know all LEDs are not equal and some will burn plants if to close. I have the SpiderFarmer and the MarsHydro LEDs and can get super close to my plants Just inches away. I would prefer to run them 12-18” away from my plants thru most of their veg and flower life but can’t always do that.

No ma’am, it’s been something I’ve been playing with for a few years now and I’ve finally come to the conclusion that LEDs just don’t have what it takes from my experience to put the trichomes on the buds. The tents that I was using had the CMH lights And they always looked nicer than the ones underneath that massive 600 W LED. I’ve got the LED on one end of my flower room. The HPS is in the middle and the CMH is on the far side and what I do is I rotate my plants so they all receive beneficial light from different sources… I am beyond thrilled that I no longer have to grow in tents…

No ma’am, it’s been something I’ve been playing with for a few years now and I’ve finally come to the conclusion that LEDs just don’t have what it takes from my experience to put the trichomes on the buds. The tents that I was using had the CMH lights And they always looked nicer than the ones underneath that massive 600 W LED. I’ve got the LED on one end of my flower room. The HPS is in the middle and the CMH is on the far side and what I do is I rotate my plants so they all receive beneficial light from different sources… I am beyond thrilled that I no longer have to grow in tents…
I’ll bet. I’d love to be able to walk around my plants. Maybe one day…

Think of Russell Crowe in the movie gladiator as he walks through the wheat fields, brushing his hands over the wheat . That’s the feeling I get when I walk through my grow room and I’m able to see my plants without having to bend and lean.

I’m sure it’s nice. Good idea rotating the plants under the different lights too. I love my LEDs. Can’t think of anything that would work better for me and my plants. They are cool and efficient and brite as heck and dimmable too for babies my plants dig them too. They are great for a small tent grow like I do I think.

i like white leds, not the bluple ones. and even with the whites you can get bad ones. you can build a bigger, better cheaper light then you can buy. they are not that hard to build with the strip lights like the bridgelux bxeb or the quantum boards as they don't have to have as heavy a heatsink as the old cobs.

I don’t know much about wattage but I know all LEDs are not equal and some will burn plants if to close. I have the SpiderFarmer and the MarsHydro LEDs and can get super close to my plants Just inches away. I would prefer to run them 12-18” away from my plants thru most of their veg and flower life but can’t always do that.
From all the info I got I’m moving mine

Hello everybody I have been thinking of the first led light I purchased, it’s from advanced led grow lights my reason for this is I recently purchased a newer brand I think this years model that came out or at the beginning of this year . I noticed the light color is a bit different and the instructions are also different my first light has instructions to pull the light up so high in order for the different diodes to mix there colors together so that the different spectrums or colors create one specific spectrum when it is mixed together as one and the new light doesn’t say this it actually says I can put the light 6”-24” for best results forget to mention the first light is 24”-36” from the plant and it’s not even half the power as the new one but the colors need to blend in . My question is does anyone know enough about them to know if there is any truth about this ? Cause I got my new lights around 10” from the cola and I keep thinking what if I’m not getting all I can from that light because the colors are not high up enough to blend in together. Any opinions on this and thanks 🙏
I think LED lights are built to be very close to what the plant needs. I noticed a very big difference from bulbs to LED's, I'm sold.

i like white leds, not the bluple ones. and even with the whites you can get bad ones. you can build a bigger, better cheaper light then you can buy. they are not that hard to build with the strip lights like the bridgelux bxeb or the quantum boards as they don't have to have as heavy a heatsink as the old cobs.
Where do you buy the components? I looked into it a couple of years ago and got frustrated when I found the cost about the same but I was probably looking at lousy vendors. My guess is that being able to customize the wavelength of the LEDs can give us hobbyists better lights dollar for dollar but back then, it didn’t look like I would be saving on cost. Thanks in advance.

Future lighting solutions, digikey, Newegg and another I can't think of. If I was to build new today I would go with strips like the bridgelux bxeb but there are others as well. The strips run cooler so you can use a cookie sheet for a heatsink. I would use aluminum angle and flat bars no fan. It would be a souped up spider when done and more powerful.

Latest posts

Back