What do you say is up MP?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

000StankDank000

Reaction score
Looks like nute burn to me and no your lights are not too close.

Why would some be affected and not others? I have much smaller plants fed the same no wilt or burn?
Some are sensitive while others are not? I'm not trying to fight just wanna know .
Seems odd I'm not hammering them with nutes. They are almost 4 weeks and I'm feeding as if it's 2 weeks.

You can have T5 very close as it isn't as intense as other light sources. As long as the plants don't ever touch the bulbs, you can literally keep the lights within 1"-2" of the highest tops. The one caveat to this is that it is wise to have a small fan to blow across the bottom of the lights and top of the plants. This keeps hot air spots from building up in the canopy. It doesn't need to be a lot, a small fan to blow between the plants and the lights just to move the air will work fine.

On the Necrosis: What I had seen on the older pic was a light green margin around the leaves, and many leaves curling up like a taco shell. Those 2 symptoms are very classic magnesium deficiency symptoms. However, the necrotic spots along the margins looks like a potassium deficiency. These 2 can be confused when the magnesium deficiency gets worse. I am also seeing in the latest pics, leaf tip necrosis (or tip burn). This is often a sign of overnute (or Nuteburn). However, Nuteburn is often accompanied by leaves getting darker green, and the tips of the fronds curling under like a ram's horn. Also, in the pics, while I see some leaves with tip burn, I see many leaves without the tip burn. Most often, Nuteburn will show on nearly all of the leaves pretty quick.

Now you said above that it got worse after you tried to correct it as a nitrogen deficiency, but in the pm to me you said it got worse after adding calmag. Did you add calmag? what kind? did you add something with high nitrogen? When did you do this? Have you ever checked the pH of your soil?

The issue is magnesium. Add 1Gram or 1ML of pure epsom salt to one gallon of your water and the issue should be completely solved in about 10 to 15 days.

If your PH is a bit too low to begin with there is no need to add the epsom, as it is taken up over 6 in hydro and 7 in soil.

Its not causing your issue obviously but if thats a T5 it should be closer. Imo

I added Calcium nitrate last night to try to fix the N Def. I was thinking that if it was nute burn why not all plants and why not all the leafs. ( good tip to look out for) . I was under the impression my calcium nitrate hard salts was basically liquid cal-mag noob mistake.
My other plants had like 40% worm castings mixed with the promix. These plants don't have any.
I'm confused need to do some bong rips
Thanks hush puppy your da breast tittle we got.

7 in soil? I PH to 6-6.5 . Pj your talking run off?

This is what you need to use with your stuff in my opinion: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-Plant-Nutrient-Supplement-1-Quart/dp/B004JKBMRW/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1422301457&sr=1-1&keywords=cal+mag[/ame]
It is derived organically so it should be available to the plants as soon as it hits the medium.
In the mean time I would do a runoff pH test if you have a pH meter. The trick is to use distilled water for the runoff test. I would get 1-2gallons off distilled water and pour one into the plant in question until there is a good 2 cups of runoff water. The distilled water has nothing in it to react to the materials in the soil so it will give you a more true pH reading. I suspect though that the pH is going to be within the acceptable range, probably around 6.7 if you have been watering with 6.5 :) however, if you find that it is below 6.0 then you will need to get some dolomite lime and add to the soil to both bring up the pH and supply needed magnesium.

I was under the impression that I didn't need cal mag when growing in soil.
Should cal mag be added to my nutes? I use that nute maker Botanicare the KIND 3 part.

That is a good tip on the distilled water for run off. I am to poor to get a digital meter I have been using drip test to test my mix. The digital PH pen is the next big purchase but I needed a light first.

Many people think that if they grow in soil that they don't need the calmag. The truth is that the plants need certain amounts of both calcium and magnesium, regardless of the medium that they are in. Typically, most "soil" growers or organic growers will get soil that has certain elements in it already, or they add amendments to the soil to make it work better and longer. Most of the time, organic growers will make up their own soil and use several amendments that have enough trace elements to give the plants what they need. Often they will add dolomite lime or other raw materials that have magnesium and calcium.

If you are using basic organic medium, or soilless medium, many times there is too little of different trace minerals to supply the plants' needs. That is when you must add either amendments to the soil initially, or supplement with additives.

I like Rosebud believe that it looks like nute burn. If the remedies have not worked, I would lay off the nutes or lighten them up a bit. Not all strains like the same amount of nutes. If I fed my Satori like I feed some of my Kushes she would curl up and fry.

The light is not too close. Pretty much if the leaves are not touching the bulbs, you are okay. I keep mine like 2" away.

i think i saw in another thread that the temps are getting to around 56 f. i would geuss that is the problem. i read somewhere that nitrogen is locked out when temps drop into the low 60's which is why a lot of purple happens late in flowering when the temps are more fall like. can you get a heater going in the room? i am vegging right now with t5's and have the lights going 24/7 just to keep my tent temp in the mid 70's. it is frickin' cold around here!

Low temps caused by T5 if input a heater in there I might as well run my MH and saved $200 from buying the T5 fixture The only reason I went T5 was to save on power now I need a heater. Can't win.

I'm confused... your MH doesn't run much warmer than your T5's. At least mine do not. Also, aren't you worried about your lights off temps? If so, why would the lights change that? Sorry for my confusion, just trying to help you out :)

Latest posts

Back