what does it mean when leaves curl downward

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbuzz123

Reaction score
my leaves are curled downward not a bad thing just wondering and my plants are staying very lo to the soil and growing in a bunch sort of thing looks very healthy but just wondering if this is a factor any kind of input will help hanx!! pic soon!!

:postpicsworthless:

leaves curling can be many things too much nutes and too much heat are the ones id go after first

curling? watering not enough! how old are they? low and bushy is an ok thing. probably the strain doing that. but curling i agree with Dubbaman and look at your watering scedule. good luck.........

thanx guys i water them every 2 days or so depending on soil temp is in 70 and drops like 5 degres at night they are on a 18/6 i use no nutes the only thing i had to spray soil with 3 in 1 because of fungus knat small problem i got it undercontrol they have groth every day and are low and bushy the spray is .02 .02 .02 a lil bit ago like ;last week they are like 3 weeks and look better than alot of the plants i see in here so im proud i grew a couple of years ago with 40 plants and 31 were female (luck) with 2 1000w hps and 1 2000w hps mh switch a specialty and no all i got is part of a closet and only 5 plants and 3 lok like female so far but not sure look like other early female i had! all i am using now is two shop light with 2 42w cfl in each using y adaptor the groth i am happy with !

Hey i would say too much heat or stress maybe overwatering?

jbuzz123 said:
thanx guys i water them every 2 days or so depending on soil temp is in 70 and drops like 5 degres at night they are on a 18/6 i use no nutes the only thing i had to spray soil with 3 in 1 because of fungus knat small problem i got it undercontrol they have groth every day and are low and bushy the spray is .02 .02 .02 a lil bit ago like ;last week they are like 3 weeks and look better than alot of the plants i see in here so im proud i grew a couple of years ago with 40 plants and 31 were female (luck) with 2 1000w hps and 1 2000w hps mh switch a specialty and no all i got is part of a closet and only 5 plants and 3 lok like female so far but not sure look like other early female i had! all i am using now is two shop light with 2 42w cfl in each using y adaptor the groth i am happy with !

even if your not using nutes that doesnt say that there isnt already nuted in the soil and if its anything like MG it is always going to be high Ph and can cause the curling and end up burning them if not taken control of id check the Ph of your soil and water if the water your using hasnt sat out for a day to air out it could be from the chloriene in it and that can be whats burning them too

if they look like this they are prbably underwaterd and overheated.give them some water they should perk back up.atleast mine did after i waterd them.

7. Please try to post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as eight pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them....Site Rules

AAApurpsk001_001.jpg

those dont look curled to me guy they just look like they aint gettin enough light

purpleskunks pic dont look like lack of light just needing a water as he said,the internode spacing dosnt look to be streched so its not from lack of light an i bet half n hour after watering them they would of been standing up again

stonedsmithy said:
purpleskunks pic dont look like lack of light just needing a water as he said,the internode spacing dosnt look to be streched so its not from lack of light an i bet half n hour after watering them they would of been standing up again

I agree

stonedsmithy said:

huh i skipped the afternoon watering of my plants to see if they would do the same thing in purples pics and they did started to droop and curl a little so it may not be too little light it may be not enough water and too hot :shocked:

my plants are drooping too! and turning yellow on the edges. im useing ff soil and watering about every day. temp 80. hum. 40. blue widow. any help appreciated!

pufindo said:
my plants are drooping too! and turning yellow on the edges. im useing ff soil and watering about every day. temp 80. hum. 40. blue widow. any help appreciated!
..unless your plants are 'severly' root bound, your problem is likely due to over watering. MJ "needs" to dryout between waterings in orderto allow oxygen to the rootzone. You're drowning them.

Hick said:
..unless your plants are 'severly' root bound, your problem is likely due to over watering. MJ "needs" to dryout between waterings in orderto allow oxygen to the rootzone. You're drowning them.

Hey Hick now when your talking root bound are you talking the kind where there are more than one plant in a pot or are you talkking that the pot you have the plant in is too small

"Root bound" IS anytime that th roots have "filled" the pot and it is restricting growth. wether it's one plant or ten, IMO.

thats what i thought you ment by it... just wanted to be sure

thanx hick. so what do u recommend watering plants that are 3 wks old? keeping in mind a 400 hps on them.

the easy why to tell if they need water is to go and buy a scale and water them until there some water coming out of the bottom then sit them on the scale every over a 3day period and you will be able to see on the 3rd day they will be a lot less then when you started.so when your plantsget to the 3rd day #
you should water i hope this help you fam

It's difficult to put a "time line" on watering. Bigger plants in smaller containers, will precipitate more water and require more frequent attention than small plants in a large pot. Medium and its ability to retain or drain will affect the time line also.
I use a similar method to sininc's description. "I" would allow them to dry out untill I was certain that I saw wilting/drooping leaves. Feel or scale the pot then. It will be very light.
Thouroughly soak/water it and check the weight again, it will be significantly heavier.
Once you've "accustomed" yourself to the differences, you will be able to just pick the pot up and instantly know if it is light enough(dry enough) to need watering.

Latest posts

Back