What elements cause a plant to hermie during flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Light

Reaction score
I went back a few months of posts and all I could find were solutions once your plants turn, but not what conditions cause the change.

Sorry if there is a thread on this and I skipped over it.

Thank you in advance!

Imo...Light leaks are a culprit but other factors relating to stress And over ripening of flowers will do it as well.... I blame heat stress over 100 degrees for 10 days straight in my last Hermy episode... most hermiees come from just bad genetics

For heat stress (which I think is the cause) how long exposed to high heat affect the plants? We had a week here in Ohio in the 80's and 90's plus we expanded the flowering room with another 1000w light.

I thought we cooled the room back down to normal temps with more cooling and all but I guess not. These are all different strains and there is no light leaks in the room.

For heat stress (which I think is the cause) how long exposed to high heat affect the plants? We had a week here in Ohio in the 80's and 90's plus we expanded the flowering room with another 1000w light.

I thought we cooled the room back down to normal temps with more cooling and all but I guess not. These are all different strains and there is no light leaks in the room.

There is no magic number of days when one strain may herm before another due to heat stress... in fact some people don't even believe that heat can cause herms and its all genetic.... all you can do friend is keep your eye out for bananas when dealing with strains you're not familiar with

Thank you for the fast responses everyone!

Typically, anything that causes damage to the plants during flowering can cause herming. The key with the heat I feel, is to watch for the plants beginning to show stress. Iff they are riding the heat with no signs of stress, ie. leaves curling up, necrosis on the upper leaves, significant wilting, then they shouldn't have herming issues. If they show a little stress and then you get it corrected pretty quick (within a few days of it showing) then unless the genetics are really poor or they were poorly stabilized after being feminized, they should do ok.

Latest posts

Back