What happens if plant is not mature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggyross

ziggyross
Reaction score
I was wondering what happens if a plant is not sexually mature and the light decreases enough to start flowering in the mature plants.

I have one large girl in pre-flower but the rest of my plants have note reached the point of alternating nodes.

So do they continue to veg until they are ready or do they try to flower?

the 12/12 light will "force flower"...some strains wont have alternating nodes they entire life...I like to place the unknown plants in flower room at week 4 of veg...this forces them to show...I pull the and place the females in veg for cloning...the Males get thrown over the fence:D

:48:

Plants do not flower until they are ready--regardless of the light. Outside we have shortening days, but we are not anywhere close to 12/12. I would expect to see the plants continue to veg for a while and flower when they are ready. Some plants do not get alternating nodes.

Okay seems to be conflicting opinions. 4U2 say's 12/12 will force flower and HG say's they will not flower until they are ready.

4U2,
I wish I had a veg and flower room but unfortunately all I have is mother nature and 1 T8 flo in the shed.

The plant that I have starting to flower is a cross of an unknown and Barneys Farm Crystal Paradise. Sativa Dominant about 6 ft tall.
The ones that are still small and not mature yet are a Barneys Farm LSD and a Delicious Seeds Critical Super Silver Haze.

These I have been taking in under the T8 when it starts getting dark outside.

Can't wait for these but I want them to be much bigger before flowering. I got a late start with these this year.

A plant doesn't become able to show sex until it matures. Four to six weeks usually, that's what 4u2 means when he said after four weeks. Your plant will then begin flowering, and if you're season will allow it, will just go longer than if it had been sprouted earlier.

" force flower" is just a term used to describe plants that have entered 12/12 that are not mature yet. all you can do is turn your lights to 12/12 and wait for the plant to mature and begin flowering.

I have (7) 1 1/2 week old Satori, from reg. seeds. I will need to ID these asap. Can I put these in 12/12 at 4th week, to spot males also?? I would love to try some clones too at this point. Thanks!! :p ;)

I think it is hard on the plants to put them into 12/12 to sex and then put them into 24/7 again. This is JMO and I know a lot of other do it, but I try not to. The plants stretch when put into 12/12. It is going to take them probably at least 7-10 days to show if put in at 4 weeks. Then you are going to have another transition period where they have to stop the flowering hormones and revert to vegging again. I just find it detrimental to good growth and it slows things down several weeks at best.

I doubt that at 4 weeks that your Satoris are going to be big enough to cut clones.

Latest posts

Back