What I think is the hardest part of growing outside

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshoalsguy

Bud of the Year
Reaction score
Been thinking about this and for me, the hardest part of an outside grow is I’ve got one shot a year. I can’t do a do over in January or July. Plants in the ground as soon as I can then 6 months of babying and fretting over them until harvest. I’ve only grown 3 years, 1 plant the first year (1 female 4 male learned the hard way) 3 plants the second year (3 female 7 male ) and finally 5 plants this year ( feminized seeds 😬). Started with 8 this year but winds over 50 mph the first week I put them out snapped three while I was at work.

But there is a thrill of an outside grow also. So much you can’t control it’s really a feeling of accomplishment. And as long as I get a years worth of what I need the rest there is always next year.
trimming this weekend!
C5995084-09AD-490E-8D30-6F214DEF417C.jpeg
8EB68368-9EBD-45A7-9268-339CE6D6231D.jpeg
861F880C-8DB7-47CC-AED6-F75FF9A45050.jpeg

Last edited:
Freaking awesome ! Your plants look spectacular!

you described the outdoor experience really well , we have to look to the biotch Mother Nature and pray for mercy

if we get no mercy , we curse

and then we do it all over again the next year

i learned a long time ago to over plant

when I had permits for 99+ plants , I would pop 150 to 200 seeds

with my count now at 18 , I popped about 75 seeds

between culling the males , hermies , runts , and freaks , not to mention the possibilities of losing plants to bug infestations , bacteria and mold , 80 mph winds , and hail , I might end up with 18

or less………or more……I ran out of fecks to give , and besides , I get along really well with the county enforcers lol

plus I am out of the bootlegging underground economy , I’m retired lol

some of this years fail

D2DB84C3-7F91-45D4-A4D0-70AA551E6274.jpeg

37DA8932-BE07-4B3D-AA2C-07F73B305853.jpeg

here is the good side of the plant

4AD70F1B-8FE6-4B7C-A10A-F516AF0D76AA.jpeg

and here is the not so good looking side , lots of wind damage

0F1DF264-7C8E-475D-A454-FA81C13CC64B.jpeg

anyway , enjoy your harvest!

Well if you can place a greenhouse plastic cover over them and with very small amount of light to extend the photoperiod, it is possible to grow two even three seasons depending on your climate.

early outdoor crop will flower when sun is around 12-12 , we have done this , set large plants outside early April weather permitting , and harvest in July

that’s one

we have a small 12x20 hoophouse…..set plants out in hoophouse and do a lite dep

that's two

then there is the regular full season harvest

thats three

ive seen 3 lite deps pulled in one year , with heaters

Been thinking about this and for me, the hardest part of an outside grow is I’ve got one shot a year. I can’t do a do over in January or July. Plants in the ground as soon as I can then 6 months of babying and fretting over them until harvest. I’ve only grown 3 years, 1 plant the first year (1 female 4 male learned the hard way) 3 plants the second year (3 female 7 male ) and finally 5 plants this year ( feminized seeds 😬). Started with 8 this year but winds over 50 mph the first week I put them out snapped three while I was at work.

But there is a thrill of an outside grow also. So much you can’t control it’s really a feeling of accomplishment. And as long as I get a years worth of what I need the rest there is always next year.
trimming this weekend!View attachment 310945View attachment 310949View attachment 310950
I use 30 and 50 gal bags with a support pole right next to the plant, during storms I can move my plants closer to my deck. High wind is always an issue, tie them up like christmas trees to the pole and lash them to the deck till storm or wind is over.

I use 30 and 50 gal bags with a support pole right next to the plant, during storms I can move my plants closer to my deck. High wind is always an issue, tie them up like christmas trees to the pole and lash them to the deck till storm or wind is over.

dang!….50 gallon

i would need a forklift

I like the excitement of an outdoor grow. The plants take on a whole new personality and I try to let them and Mother Nature do her thing. I do however have much respect for Mother Nature tho. My first outdoor grow this year also had its ups and downs. I expected bugs to be my big issue but turns out most of the bugs turned out to be beneficial bugs that helped battle all the bad guys. I also worried about outdoor lighting and to much shade in my yard neither of which was an issue. Moisture and humidity however was my learning curve this year. I lost two of our 4 plants to bud rot but learned a heap of stuff for next year to try and prevent some of my problems so I’ll be at it again.

I like the excitement of an outdoor grow. The plants take on a whole new personality and I try to let them and Mother Nature do her thing. I do however have much respect for Mother Nature tho. My first outdoor grow this year also had its ups and downs. I expected bugs to be my big issue but turns out most of the bugs turned out to be beneficial bugs that helped battle all the bad guys. I also worried about outdoor lighting and to much shade in my yard neither of which was an issue. Moisture and humidity however was my learning curve this year. I lost two of our 4 plants to bud rot but learned a heap of stuff for next year to try and prevent some of my problems so I’ll be at it again.
Yup, fun

You need to do the duck and cover method
If you are in that humidity belt like you are, The plants need to have preventive maintenance ,
Spray for Catties every two weeks then next week.
Spray for WPM every two weeks right into flower , and most important once buds are forming keep the plant dry
Bring thm inside the garage or hoophouse overhead,

You need to do the duck and cover method
If you are in that humidity belt like you are, The plants need to have preventive maintenance ,
Spray for Catties every two weeks then next week.
Spray for WPM every two weeks right into flower , and most important once buds are forming keep the plant dry
Bring thm inside the garage or hoophouse overhead,
Yes I’m ready with

Raincoats and Galoshes​

for them next year

Latest posts

Back