What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogey8

Very grouchy and ornery today…
Reaction score
What do you have growing or living or happening in your backyard? Post anything and everything, serious or funny or neither. Bonus points for cannabis related but not needed...

A bear spent about an hour and a half in my yard last fall...
IMG_8466.JPG

I get Blue Herons on occasion, and I've had a visit by a Turkey Vulture. BIG birds, especially when they're flying 4' over your head.
One and only turkey that ever got close to the ranch was given to my neighbor to eat. He flew through my Andersen sliding glass door. Punched a turkey sized hole in it and blew glass into my macaw's cage. Cost me six bills to replace, and that's with me doing the work.

I have a sharp shinned hawk that views my feeders as a buffet. We saw him catch a blue jay last year and eat it. Nature can be brutal. We also have a few red tailed hawks that circle the yard but I don’t think they can maneuver enough to get any fixings’. We have 4 varieties of woodpeckers-Pileated, Red breasted, Hairy and Downey. Plus a bunch of boring looking birds. I think turkey vultures can have a 6-8 foot wing span. Those are some big birds(but not like Sesame Street).

I had one a few years back that was using my chickens for a daily breakfast special. He got 4; would have been 5, but I got out there quick enough to kick a field goal with him. He was back the next day, but he was asked to leave with extreme prejudice.

I have to dismiss a flock of starlings occasionally. There are probably 100 of these and they are not pleasant to listen to. Crows are not welcome either. I go through about 80 lbs of sunflower seed every 3 weeks or so(plus suet cakes, corn and meal worms). I am a bit obsessed…

Latest posts

Back