What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate the smell of mothballs. My momma uses them. All her towels smell like them😂. My hubby uses them around the yard to detour snakes. Some say it works but I’d rather have the snakes. He was plenty pissed when I asked him to retrieve the mothballs he threw under our deck. It took him a couple of hours. 😂 I used them once in my strawberry patch after someone told me they got rid of slugs. Well actually they did get rid of the slugs but my strawberries tasted like momma towels 🙃 I say no to mothballs unless you dig that smell which lasts forever…
Oh, deary dear...

You've made some excellent points. Mothballs at the farm were used to store winter clothes as well as in the vital summer garden. But Grandma had the problem minimized to practically zerio.

For storing clothes: One mothball (they are marble-sized for you young'uns) in a cup in the trunk. No moth destruction ever. She removed the winter clothes from the trunk and hung them in the barn (which smelled gloriously of clean hay) one week prior to their use.

For the garden, don't put mothballs IN the garden, but at least five feet outside the row.
And you laid them down (dunno why, but it wuz orders) about two feet apart in a four-foot high zig-zag zipper-looking pattern. HAH! Over 75 years later, and probably the first time I thought about it... but I think I know why we had to zig-zag the mothball placement:

It made a "thicker" bunny/rat/raccoon/possum fence!! The little thievin' bastages would have to penetrate a yard-thick wall of yikey-stink. AHA.

Anyway, I never detected any stinky in our veggies. And bunnies had to be hunted a long way from the garden. The only robbers we had were crows, and they were my job.

Two of us would walk to the little shed, and one would walk back. Crows can't count. So when the first one landed in the garden. POP with the .22 and leave him there. No more crows.

Allus trust yer Grandma. She wuz born in 1892 -- just in case someone needed to know.

Never smelled moth balls. Couldn't figure out how to get their little legs that far apart.

Three does last night, SIX bucks, all with what looks to be big racks developing this morning, three does this afternoon, and two bucks as of five minutes ago.
Those six this morning were a hoot. After they got their munch, they proceeded to jump, chase, and otherwise have a good time playing together. Costing me some money to feed 'em, but well worth it in enjoyment.

Never smelled moth balls. Couldn't figure out how to get their little legs that far apart.

Three does last night, SIX bucks, all with what looks to be big racks developing this morning, three does this afternoon, and two bucks as of five minutes ago.
Those six this morning were a hoot. After they got their munch, they proceeded to jump, chase, and otherwise have a good time playing together. Costing me some money to feed 'em, but well worth it in enjoyment.
Tweezers hippie
I use to love feeding the deer at my old place and watch them eat and play I nailed a coffee can to a tree and put corn in it every night for them

I've got two five foot tall four inch PVC pipes with caps on each end with a small hole in the bottom side. They wipe both in two days, sometimes one. We go through 120 pounds a week on the average. I leave the field out by the old garden for grazing, and I left the very back of the property, out in the wooded area to grow wild. It served as the nursery this spring for a bunch of little spotted critters. Something about a fawn just makes ya wanna pick 'em up and squeeze 'em.

I love my homemade moth balls. I mix eggs, bread crumbs and a few handfuls of de-winged moths with my hand mixer set to medium the fry them up in some good olive oil. Got the recipe from Bill Gates…

I love my homemade moth balls. I mix eggs, bread crumbs and a few handfuls of de-winged moths with my hand mixer set to medium the fry them up in some good olive oil. Got the recipe from Bill Gates…
1657201750833.png

Latest posts

Back